× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How can I find out what my NAS is doing?

everytime
Guide

How can I find out what my NAS is doing?

I just updated to the latest firmware release, 6.4.2. Everything went as expected. It (ReadyNAS 516) is now doing something, as it sounds like there's a lot of disk activity. If I go to System > Performance > Volume, I see there's quite a bit of read activity, but even more write activity. Maybe the system is renewing its indexes to the many files. Maybe it's taking snapshots. Maybe it's something else.

Sometimes the system will slow down and the Performance graph will similarly show a lot of read/write activity just like it is now.

My question is a general one: Is there a way I can discover what the system is doing at any time, something that provides more information than simply showing a lot of read/write activity?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello everytime,

It can be checked from the system logs, however, the logs isn't that easy to understand. When you download system logs, you will see multiple notepad files, look for System.log, 

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
everytime
Guide

JennC, thank you. I know I can look at the logs and I've done that from time to time. I never thought of them as a real-time device.

But, since they document when everything starts and stops I can see how they can be useful. I just thought there'd be a real-time "activity monitor" that might be updated every five or ten seconds to see what functions are running at any one time as well as the amount of RAM they take up.

The logs work, though.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@everytime wrote:

JennC, thank you. I know I can look at the logs and I've done that from time to time. I never thought of them as a real-time device.

But, since they document when everything starts and stops I can see how they can be useful. I just thought there'd be a real-time "activity monitor" that might be updated every five or ten seconds to see what functions are running at any one time as well as the amount of RAM they take up.

The logs work, though.

Thanks.

It would be useful to have a monitor like that.

A small dashboard that shows 

-disk spindown status

-cpu and disk i/o load

-what backup job is running (if any)

-what maintenance operations are running (if any)

Maybe even a way to provide top w/o ssh enabled???

Maybe post something in the "ideas for storage" subforum, so Netgear can gauge interest.

-

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements