× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How long does it take to expand a volume on a ReadyNAS 104

planetbob99
Aspirant

How long does it take to expand a volume on a ReadyNAS 104

Hi, 

I have a ReadyNAS 104 that I had started using with just one disc in it, a WD Red 4TB. However as it was near capacity I got another WD Red 4TB to expand the volume onto. 

It did take a while (about 12 hours) for the disc to become ready. Though to expand the volume and use both discs I understand I had to reboot the ReadyNAS. So I have done this, however ever since the display has said "Restarting now. See you soon." 

Have been lead to believe this will take a while, though can someone give an idication of how long, as it has now been 48 hours and I am concerened that something is amiss. 

Currently I am unable to access the ReadyNAS over the network, obviously I guess as it is still in process of booting, so unable to actually confirm if it is doing anything. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: How long does it take to expand a volume on a ReadyNAS 104

It seems awfully long to me, and normally RAIDar should be able to see it.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Actually you'll need to have 3x4TB to get more capacity.  2x4TB just gets you redundancy.

What status are you seeing with RAIDar?

Message 2 of 8
planetbob99
Aspirant

Raidar cannot find anything on my network. Though only used that after it went into this boot sequence. As did all previous configuring through the web interface.

Message 3 of 8
planetbob99
Aspirant

Also then is it possible to disable the redundency, I would prefer the space? As I use other things for back up. I really need this more for a networked storage than its actual redundency and can't afford a third drive for a while. 

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You would need to switch to flexraid, destroy the volume, and then create two new ones (jbod).

One RAID-0 volume is possible, but is a bad idea (if either disk fails you lose all the data).

Message 5 of 8
planetbob99
Aspirant

Any idea though if it should be taking this long to boot back up? 48 hours for a total of 8TB of data (even if that is 4TB redundant) seems an awful long time. 

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

It seems awfully long to me, and normally RAIDar should be able to see it.

Message 7 of 8
planetbob99
Aspirant

Thanks, did a forced reboot and now it is back up. Currently balancing, and I can see it on the network again. 

Though as you said earlier it is redundant and not more space. I may wipe it and set up as Raid 0, I understand the risks with that. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements