× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How many concurrent FTP-Connections possible

JovannB
Tutor

How many concurrent FTP-Connections possible

Hi,

I want to use my NAS for Backup purpose of up to 10 clients, therefore I want to use FTP transfering data to NAS - in times of wanacry and co one shouldnt use SMB which would be easier but much more dangerous.

In this context I should know, how many concurrent FTP-Connections the FTP-Server on the NAS can handle, or is there somebody with experiences regarding that ??

J.B.

Model: RN31443D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 5
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: How many concurrent FTP-Connections possible

Hi,

What model NAS do you have?

Message 2 of 5
JovannB
Tutor

Hi,

as written in the footer: RN31443D

J.B.

Model: RN31443D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 3 of 5
Hopchen
Prodigy

Ahh didn't see 🙂

Firstly, you can technically have as many concurrent FTP connections as you want. Of course if 10 computers are writing data to the NAS at the same time, things will slow down.

Just a note about WannaCry. It's a vulnerability in Windows SMB, not in the Linux (NAS) implementation. Secondly, it affects only SMB v1 which you shouldn't use anyway. Just use SMB v2 or v3 and you will be fine. Any newer Windows version uses SMB v3 anyway. You can even force the NAS to only accept SMB v2/v3 connections via the SMB Plus add-on.

But this of course your choice. If are set on FTP then make sure you use FTP(S) if going over the internet. 

Cheers

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

FTP has had it's own CVEs, they just haven't gotten the press. 

If you want to use FTP for local backup, I suggest using a backup utility on the PCs for that (instead of NAS backup jobs).  It'd be best to force FTPS in the NAS configuration.

On scale, it should handle 10 connections, though it might be best if you stagger the backup schedule.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements