× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to confirm admin password recovery actually works?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

How to confirm admin password recovery actually works?

So I just fixed getting logged out of my admin account, see this link for details:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-Ultra-6-OS-Reinstall-appears-to-have-n...

My question is about the admin password recovery set up. I lost access because I used the password recovery screen successfully, but did not receive a recovery email to the specified recovery email account.

So what is sending the recovery email? Is there any way to test the recovery email delivery without resetting the admin password?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Under System > Alerts.

You can send a test message to verify the email settings are working.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should make sure you have configured he email settings and test that email alerts come through successfully.

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, but precisely where in Frontview is that configured? I don't see anything in the Security > Admin Password section of Frontview for configuration beyond providing an email address.

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Under System > Alerts.

You can send a test message to verify the email settings are working.

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ah, that does work.

I would make a recommendation that an admin password not be savable without having the alerts also working. Or having a clearly marked test button there. Or a message explaining exactly what additional needs to be configured & where.

Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think as part of the setup wizard you would have been prompted to configure the email settings as well as change the admin password.

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I haven't looked at the Wizard view in eons (probably since original purchase & set up) and switched to Advanced exploring what was what. Subsequent log ins always went straight to Advanced. In the advanced view, no warnings were given as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I've got it figured out now and made notes to avoid this in future.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements