× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to disable drive spin down on readynas duo v2

wasted_d
Aspirant

How to disable drive spin down on readynas duo v2

Hi guys, i previously owned a readynas duo v1 and had 2 Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drives (ST2000DL003) and had no problems at all. Then i recently purchased the new Readynas duo v2 and 2 more of these harddrives. My problem is in the Duo v2 the drives keep spinning down after a few mins of no use and then when i try to access them via my windows 7 pc or my sony Tv / bluray player it takes up to 8 seconds for them to spin back up. I know 8 seconds may not seem like alot to some folks but after having the duo v1 which didnt do it i am finding it kinda anoying, mostly when copying files to an from the duo and using the DNLA server.
So i was wondering if there is a way to disable this feature in the duo v2?
Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 9
wasted_d
Aspirant

Re: How to disable drive spin down on readynas duo v2

Anyone any ideas at all? surely someone knows?
Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disk spin-down is enabled by design. There is no option to disable this at this time.
Message 3 of 9
wasted_d
Aspirant

Ah, thanks. Ill just have to hope a ON/OFF ability is added in future firmware or someone does it via an addon.
Message 4 of 9
devhen
Aspirant

mdgm,

Is it safe to change the disk spin-down time with hdparm ?
Message 5 of 9
lynnsaunders
Aspirant

I want to make sure my email data is secure so it lives on the NAS drive as do most of the data I create. The problem is the delay to get at these files. The typical time to retrieve a file is about 15 seconds after some period of inactivity. I have spent about an hour this morning trying to find a solution at the netgear site and on the web. It looks like there is not a good solution. I think the drive spins down after some period of inactivity. The delay to get it spun up and happy is annoying if you have a customer on the phone and you are waiting 15 seconds to retrieve an email. I almost want to write a simple program that accesses a file every few minutes and let it run all day!! Surely there is a better solution.
Message 6 of 9
devhen
Aspirant

Message 7 of 9
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

The next version RAIDiator will support spin down on/off in frontview.
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

evan wrote:
The next version RAIDiator will support spin down on/off in frontview.

Nice! Btw the web-interface of the ARM units is typically referred to as the Dashboard. Frontview is the name used for the old UI on Sparc/x86.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements