× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to stop external HDDs sleeping

KillerBob
Aspirant

How to stop external HDDs sleeping

Hi,

I have an old ReadyNAS that I have a HDD station connected to via USB. I use this NAS for Media storage, and have films and series on the external HDDs. In the settings, I have specifically not set the sleep functins for the HDDs, as it is really annoying if the HDDs fall asleep when I am watching files from it. It works for the HDDs in the NAS, but NOT for the externally connected HDDs.

Are the settings specific between the internal and external HDDs?

TIA

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to stop external HDDs sleeping

@KillerBob wrote:

Hi,

I have an old ReadyNAS that I have a HDD station connected to via USB. I use this NAS for Media storage, and have films and series on the external HDDs. In the settings, I have specifically not set the sleep functins for the HDDs, as it is really annoying if the HDDs fall asleep when I am watching files from it. It works for the HDDs in the NAS, but NOT for the externally connected HDDs.

Are the settings specific between the internal and external HDDs?

What ReadyNAS model is this and what firmware is it running?

Though I don't use USB drives much anymore, my recollection is that the NAS won't spin down external disks.  Though that assumes the current firmware - there are some posts saying that this behavior changed for the old sparc v1 models in firmware release 4.1.7.

Message 2 of 4
KillerBob
Aspirant

It is an old ReadyNAS Ultra 2, and the FW is currently at 6.9.4. The external HDDs are connected via the USB connection on the front.

Message 3 of 4
KillerBob
Aspirant

I figured out that the external HDDs only fall asleep when the dock is connected to the USB3 connection on the front. When connected to one of the USB2 connections on the back, they stay awake... 

This is a bad implementation of power features if I ever saw one...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements