× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Inaccurate reporting of used/free volume space?

Laudz
Aspirant

Inaccurate reporting of used/free volume space?

Just asking why when I hover over the data volume, I get a free space number much lower than the widget graph tells me (refer image attached).

Is this because it is telling me that I have 792GB available to be reclaimed if I defrag, scrub and re-balance or is the hover over information incorrect in this instance?

Every other reporting tells me 2.35TB free as per the pie chart graph.

Thanks for your help.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Inaccurate reporting of used/free volume space?

That 792GB is referring to unallocated space.

You can see that the same usage breakup shows that about 1.6TB of the space allocated to data is not filled with data.

Space is allocated for data and metadata as needed. If unallocated space goes down to 0 then additional space can’t be allocated to data/metadata.

If you were to run a balance you’d find that unallocated space figure would increase as data chunks are emptied and returned to unallocated space.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Inaccurate reporting of used/free volume space?

That 792GB is referring to unallocated space.

You can see that the same usage breakup shows that about 1.6TB of the space allocated to data is not filled with data.

Space is allocated for data and metadata as needed. If unallocated space goes down to 0 then additional space can’t be allocated to data/metadata.

If you were to run a balance you’d find that unallocated space figure would increase as data chunks are emptied and returned to unallocated space.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements