× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Install Note: Logitech Media Server 7.7.2

virgiliomi
Aspirant

Install Note: Logitech Media Server 7.7.2

An important note for those of you who might be installing Logitech Media Server (LMS) 7.7.2 on your Sparc or x86-based ReadyNAS (this doesn't apply to the ARM models because they didn't ship with Logitech Media Server installed on them)...

PLEASE make sure to uninstall any existing "SlimServer" "SqueezeCenter", "Squeezebox Server", or "Logitech Media Server" installations from the "Streaming Services" on your ReadyNAS before installing 7.7.2 or newer! The latest release of Logitech Media Server will install in the "Add-Ons" category rather than "Streaming Services". If you don't remove the old version from your ReadyNAS first, you will end up with it appearing to be installed in two places, though it's only really installed once on your ReadyNAS.

Please also note that after you've installed 7.7.2, there should be no need to run the "CleanSqueezeCenter_DB" script, or uninstall your old version of LMS every time you want to upgrade to a new version. LMS no longer uses MySQL for its database since version 7.6, when they started using SQLite files instead. Continuing to run CleanSqueezeCenter and uninstalling old versions at this point only wastes additional time, and also requires you to re-set all of your server/player/plugin settings every time you want to upgrade, while doing an in-place upgrade will retain the database and all of your settings.

If you are upgrading to 7.7.2 from a version earlier than 7.6, then you should still run the CleanSqueezeCenter script before installing 7.7.2, if for no other reason than to ensure that the old version is properly cleaned up, but you won't need to do this after installing 7.7.2.

7.7.2 also adds some options for clearing the media database and doing a complete reset of the software to FrontView, in the event that your LMS installation should find itself in an inconsistent state and no longer function properly.
Message 1 of 29
virgiliomi
Aspirant

LMS 7.7.2 has been released today, 3/27/12. It is available for download from the MySqueezebox.com site:

http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download
Message 2 of 29
spie
Aspirant

I'm confused. On this http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Logitech_Media_Server_on_ReadyNAS page I'm told, that the cleanup script is not longer working (>7.6), hence I wonder what I have to do, to uninstall 7.7.1. Just uncheck(=uninstalling) the box in the streaming services?

thanks.
Message 3 of 29
virgiliomi
Aspirant

Right... CleanSqueezecenter is no longer needed from 7.6 on. With 7.6, Logitech stopped using MySQL as their database platform and moved to using SQLite, which is a file-based system.

To uninstall any version of SqueezeCenter/Squeezebox Server/LMS, you click the "Remove" button in the lower right of the service info. Unchecking the box and pressing Apply simply stops the service, it doesn't remove it from your ReadyNAS.
Message 4 of 29
spie
Aspirant

ok. thanks.

But I didn't used this script while I had upgraded to 7.7.1. Is this a problem?
Message 5 of 29
JohnSK
Aspirant

Please update the instructions linked to from the download page - I just wasted a lot of time because Logitech Media Server didn't appear under Streaming Services where it's been for years. Strangely, it never occurred to me to look under Add-ons.

That trouble led me here, and now I find I've been running the database cleaner and rebooting the NAS unnecessarily for the last few updates.
Message 6 of 29
p_e_t_e_r
Aspirant

Help please...

I have deleted the old LMS in the tab streaming services with the delete button (dutch = verwijderen).

When i try to download (systeem, update, lokal update) the new lms logitechmediaserver-7.8.0-33951-arm-readynas.bin or the logitechmediaserver-7.7.2-arm-readynas.bin i get a error. Netgaer don't accept the file.

What am i doing wrong?

Peter
Message 7 of 29
onimod
Aspirant

Are you trying to install the correct version - do you have an ARM based Duo or the original Sparc unit?
Message 8 of 29
virgiliomi
Aspirant

JohnSK wrote:
Please update the instructions linked to from the download page - I just wasted a lot of time because Logitech Media Server didn't appear under Streaming Services where it's been for years. Strangely, it never occurred to me to look under Add-ons.

That trouble led me here, and now I find I've been running the database cleaner and rebooting the NAS unnecessarily for the last few updates.

I unfortunately don't work for Logitech... just a user like the rest of us. Logitech originally put those instructions together to reduce support calls for issues with upgrading old versions of the software. Logitech Support doesn't seem to have an interest in changing them, for whatever reason, even though the steps provided are no longer relevant.
Message 9 of 29
p_e_t_e_r
Aspirant

onimod wrote:
Are you trying to install the correct version - do you have an ARM based Duo or the original Sparc unit?

I guess you got it right. I think i got the original Sparc unit. Witch version is the latetest correct version?

Peter
Message 10 of 29
onimod
Aspirant

I think you need this version:
logitechmediaserver-7.7.2-sparc-readynas.bin
(http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download)
Message 11 of 29
virgiliomi
Aspirant

You'll want to select Netgear ReadyNAS NV/Duo (21 MB)... you probably selected Netgear ReadyNAS NV/Duo v2 (ARM) (22 MB)...
Message 12 of 29
raschaa
Aspirant

Would an update from 7.6.1 -> 7.7.2 keep my old settings or do they get reset?

thx
ra
Message 13 of 29
virgiliomi
Aspirant

Since you should be removing the old version from Streaming Services before installing 7.7.2 under Add-Ons, you will lose your settings.
Message 14 of 29
captainhaddock
Aspirant

Just want to voice my thanks Virgiliomi for your initial post, clarified things for me and saved me messing about. Nice one.
Message 15 of 29
thomasheiser77
Aspirant

Hi
I know this is an old thread but I am pulling my hair out with a new ReadyNas 102. I specifically went with ReadyNas so that I could use my Squeezebox Duet but I cant work out how to install the server and the instructions on the Logitec page seem totally out of date.
I have downloaded the logitechmediaserver-7.7.2-arm-readynas.bin file - but when I go to upload it (firmware 6.0.7) I get the error message: "Error: Only Debian package is allowed".

Does anyone have advice or instructions on how to get this sorted?
Many thanks
Thomas
Message 16 of 29
StephenB
Guru

You can't. That arm file is not for the ReadyNAS 102. It is for the ReadyNAS Duo v2 / NV+ v2 models.
Message 17 of 29
vandermerwe
Master

Message 18 of 29
w_f
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did you get the logitech media server running on your readynas 102 ?
Message 19 of 29
super_poussin
Virtuoso

You should see it under available apps or take the two files in the community Dropbox

7.7.3 is the last
Message 20 of 29
w_f
Aspirant
Aspirant

Works perfect with the files of the dropbox and my readynas 102.
Thanks.
Message 21 of 29
lucter
Aspirant

How do i install these two files?? if i doubleclick them nothing happens???

(Newbie with a capital N)
Message 22 of 29
vandermerwe
Master

Are you getting the files here?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ie9pwk1wut72 ... a%20server

If so there is a read me file.

Follow the instructions for the order of installation.

Install by uploading using the GUI.
Message 23 of 29
lucter
Aspirant

Oke, i do have the two files in a map on my 102, the map is called readydrop

order of installation is clear to me, but "install by uploading the GUI" is what i do not understand......
Message 24 of 29
vandermerwe
Master

Ok, you may be able to see LMS in the available apps section and just add it there without having to upload the files.
Alternatively there is a little upload icon on the apps tab, click on it then upload the files 1 at a time in the correct order from wherever they are stored on your lan.

I had problems uploading from my pc so I copied the files to a share on the nas then did the upload from there.

The GUI is the OS 6 admin interface (Graphical User Interface)
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements