× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issues with audio playback over Samba (older files?)

sg86
Aspirant

Issues with audio playback over Samba (older files?)

Hi,

I've been using my RN for a long while now and love almost everything about it, apart from SAMBA!

Recently i've noticed another issue, in that i cannot now play over 90% of my music stored on the NAS over samba. Now this may or may not be a coincidence, but could someone point me in the right direction to debug this issue? I've tried on multiple clients, like my linux sat box, rythmbox and other audio players on ubuntu and there are no error messages, the song just doesn't play. 

I have tried enabling more verbose logging on samba but its a little too detailed for me to interpret.

Message 1 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sg86,

Do you get the same playback problem when you use Windows?

Can you try copying the media file from the NAS save it to the Linux machine then see if it will get the same issue.

Found an issue of Rhytmbox with music playback from network share at http://askubuntu.com/questions/127272/rhythmboxs-not-playing-music-from-network-share you may want to check it also.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
sg86
Aspirant

Hi,

I couldn't comment for windows use as i don't have or use it.

Yes when the files are copied they play just fine. The issue doesn't relate to just rhythmbox, i've tried various clients so i don't think its a client side issue.

As i say, newer files copied to the NAS play just fine on all clients, this can't just be unrelated right? Someone mentioned something to me about hard drive/NAS having issues with older written files due to timeout in samba, maybe this is related i don't know. Happy to help debug though!

Message 3 of 4
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sg86,

Have you tried disabling and re-enabling SMB protocol of your ReadyNAS? You may also want to re-import or re-mount your media files on your Ubuntu players/client. Let's also wait to hear if there are users who experienced the same problem.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements