× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Joined AD but users need to re-authenticate

rdrcrmatt
Aspirant

Joined AD but users need to re-authenticate

Hi,

After some arguing with the ReadyNAS, I was finally able to get it to join the domain.  Under users and groups in the readyNAS I am able to see my AD users and groups.  But, it seems like those user accounts are now "local" to the nas. 

When a user logs in to a windows computer with their domain credentials they have to re-authenticate to the ReadyNAS share they want to access.  Windows by default will try their domain\username credentials that they are logged in as.  In order for me to get a share open I have to try to authenticate to the ReadyNAS without the domain\ in front of the username.  This makes for a problem when trying to mount user home directories or shares via login script since they are essentially two different accounts.

Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which model do you have and which firmware?

What version of Windows Server is on your Domain Controller?

Welcome to the Community!

Message 2 of 7
rdrcrmatt
Aspirant

It is a netgear 2120

Firmware version 6.2.4

Domain is Windows 2003.  my next project is upgrading the domian to windows 2012r2.

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Server 2003 is EOL. So you may wish to update to 2012r2 and then see if it works better after updating your AD level to 2012r2

Message 4 of 7
rdrcrmatt
Aspirant

Yea, I know that and like I said its my next project.

I had a user back up their entire 3TB usb drive to my existing NAS which doesn't have nearly that space so I was hoping I could get moved to the ReadyNAS first then upgrade Windows / Active Directory.

Are there compatiblility issues with Windows 2003?  

What is the reason for the double authentication issue?

Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It should work.

Have you opened a support case?

Message 6 of 7
rdrcrmatt
Aspirant

I have not, but I will now and I'll report back.

The authentication is working, but users have to remove the domain name when they are prompted for authentication in order to connect since they technically aren't authenticating against the domain, they are authenticating against the local user database (which was imported to the ReadyNAS).

I'm really hoping this isn't the way these actually work, or I'll be doing FreeNAS on a VM via NFS for proper AD authentication.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements