× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Just upgraded to 6.7.0....

NASguru
Apprentice

Bummer, I was hoping to jump to 6.7 here but this thread is not very encouraging.  I also just realize my older Ultra4 Plus is now not accessible on 6.6.1 using Frontview which is not helping matters.  I have been reluctant to upgrade my primarhy NAS from 6.6.0 to 6.6.1 since my backup NAS appears to not be stable on 6.6.1.  I also saw a few posts about apps not working on 6.6.1 but I digress.  I'll remain on standby until I see some encouraging results with 6.7 or maybe 6.7.1.  

Message 76 of 102
jak0lantash
Mentor

Also got hit by the 6.7.0 OOM bug.

Always nice to get home and find your NAS crashed!

Holding that power button hurt me so much... It's in those moments that I'm happy I put so much energy in my backup plan.

Message 77 of 102
ccreedy
Tutor

Thought I'd hijack my post back lol

Shortly after my last post I had the system running sweet as a nut,  I dropped back to 6.6.1 without issue, disabled all non essential services and apps (Plex / Antivirus) and instantly saw the RN104 spring back to life, I took a gamble and re applied the 6.7.0 firmware and this time 100% success no noticeable issues and performance and stability were spot on.

1 week later

fast forward to Yesterday.... and I notice that I've burnt through 1TB of free space and this is after a massive clear out of redundant shares and old files.... I relaised that I still had snapshots for said ancient files and decided to clear them out.... thats when I hit the now known issue in 6.7.0 where deleting snapshots send the device into meltdown quickly crashing the GUI...  back to square one.

I may have screwed up here as I took it upon myself to download 6.7.1 Beta and create a USB Recovery stick and install that way, the process didn't work as Igot a message on the LCD I hadnt seen before...  I tried to access the admin GUI but the NAS refuses the connection outright, I try RAIDair to access Diagnostics only to have the admin credentials declined.... Opted for OS Recovery to try and get back in.... no joy, won't accept defualt admin credentials via Raidair... Web GUI is a no go  but strangly enough all my shares are accesable using the admin credentials via Windows explorer... so my Login works but I can't change anything lol

I'm stumped.... and toying with the idea of backing up all my data in Windows explorer and doing a factory restore. I might chance waiting for 6.7.1 but I reckon my free space will be gone by Next weekend 😞

Creedy

Message 78 of 102
StephenB
Guru

@ccreedy wrote:

I'm stumped.... and toying with the idea of backing up all my data in Windows explorer and doing a factory restore.

Definitely make the backup.  That ensures that no matter what happens you won't lose anything.

Message 79 of 102
jak0lantash
Mentor

@StephenB wrote:

@ccreedy wrote:

I'm stumped.... and toying with the idea of backing up all my data in Windows explorer and doing a factory restore.

Definitely make the backup.  That ensures that no matter what happens you won't lose anything.

Yes! Make a backup asap.

USB Boot Recovery is useless here.

You can try to access http://<ip_address>/fwbroker

If you can reach it, you could download 6.7.1 Beta 1 and install it that way.

Message 80 of 102
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Also note an OS Re-install on 6.7.0 (or later) disables quotas on the volume.

Message 81 of 102
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure how you're splitting the logs msnasx. We need the logs sent in a zipped folder.

Message 82 of 102
msnasx
Aspirant

@mdgm wrote:

Not sure how you're splitting the logs msnasx. We need the logs sent in a zipped folder.

I have just splitted downloaded ZIP with logs from storage and using 7-ZIP splited that ZIP into two files (001 and 002).

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 83 of 102
ccreedy
Tutor

Backed up all my data and tried the factory restore option:

keep hitting this error:

ERR: Registering data filestream

help!

ccreedy

Message 84 of 102
jak0lantash
Mentor

Did you try via the Boot Menu as well?
Message 85 of 102
ccreedy
Tutor

Yeah that was the boot menu, the message is currently displayed on the LCD Screen 😞

ccreedy

Message 86 of 102
ccreedy
Tutor

whenever I try OS Recover I get

do_exit+9ac

Message 87 of 102
jak0lantash
Mentor

If a Factory Default via the Boot Menu doesn't work and that your HDDs are confirmed OK, then this is the appropriate situation to perform a USB Boot Recovery:

https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

Message 88 of 102
Jackvd
Apprentice

I think it is time to update on the status of the issue with my 6.7.0 upgrade on RN214.

After the manual update that did not go smoothly, the system was no longer able to access my encrypted volume.

Together with mgdm we continued the efforts offline through PM.

But I am losing my patience now....

So fare nothing has worked and although mgdm was able to access the volume with the system in tech support mode, the issue is still there...

Apart from the steps I took together with mgdm, I have tried several tricks to get it to work but nothing helps...

The system has been unusable now for two weeks, following the fact that it was unusable for a week after the Readycloud issue.

mgdm has been silent now through PM even after polling him 8 days ago.

From then on the 6.7.0 discussion has been dominated with the issue of quota problems and 6.7.1 should solve that. But nobody told me that my issue is falling in that category... So to me it looks like there is no attention to the fact that 6.7.0 is not able to read an encrypted volume.

Hope this triggers some respons....

Jack

Message 89 of 102
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've been very busy and had a 4 day long weekend for Easter on top of that. Just had another look at your system. Rebooting your system now.

Message 90 of 102
verify
Aspirant

Hi again,

someone interested?

Just updated my RN102, that was killed by the 6.70 Update, to 6.7.1Beta provided here. After a few hours it seems that everything works stable. Even the smb-problem, existing in my system since 6.6.1 seems to be solved.

Hope it will stay stable after so many weeks without it....

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 91 of 102
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Official 6.7.1 firmware is released: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000038557/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-7-1

It fixed the volume quota issue.

Message 92 of 102
jak0lantash
Mentor

@YeZ wrote:

Official 6.7.1 firmware is released: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000038557/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-7-1

It fixed the volume quota issue.

@YeZ Not according to the release notes...

Message 93 of 102
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Presumably I can upgrade my RN516 from OS 6.6.1 to 6.7.1, but it currently shows as having the latest firmware?

Message 94 of 102
jak0lantash
Mentor

The latest firmware is always available for download before being pushed to the update servers after some time.
Message 95 of 102
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Okay - I'll go for that .... downloaded.

The documentation does not seem to indicate whether I upload the 'Zip', or the contents.

I suspect the contents, but as this is first time using the 'load yourself' facility, better to be sure.

Other systems I have used require a zip file for uploading and unzip in situ.

So just to be clear which is it please?

Message 96 of 102
StephenB
Guru

You do need to unzip it.

Message 97 of 102
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Thanks ... unzipped and now running 6.7.1, and upgrade was relatively quick and easy.

Just 2 things of note

1. On Windows 10 Edge (fully uptodate).
When opening the image file, ReadyNAS closes the window and logs me out.
After 3 attempts including a re-boot of Win 10, I have a bright idea and use Chrome (not my favourite browser) and it works.

I mention this so that others might be ware of it and can take similar actions.

2. I missed the fact that a Scrub had started last night (listed in the logs and I did not check), so the ReadyNAS was rebooted (required for upgrade) in the middle of the Scrub.

So is it likely that the Scrub is going to restart (or we know for certain that it won't) and if so how can I tell if it is running?

Message 98 of 102
StephenB
Guru

@BaJohn wrote:

So is it likely that the Scrub is going to restart (or we know for certain that it won't) and if so how can I tell if it is running?

You should see the scrub progress on the volume page.  If not, assume it is not running (and will not restart).

@BaJohn wrote:

1. On Windows 10 Edge (fully uptodate).
When opening the image file, ReadyNAS closes the window and logs me out.

I think you will also find that manually uploading apps will also fail (unless that was fixed in 6.7.1).

Edge is giving path+filename to the NAS, and I believe the NAS is only expecting to see filename.

Message 99 of 102
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@StephenB wrote:

@BaJohn wrote:

You should see the scrub progress on the volume page.  If not, assume it is not running (and will not restart).

Thanks ... NOT Running, as I suspected.

Message 100 of 102
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements