× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Labelling External Backup Drives

Delo
Follower

Labelling External Backup Drives

Afternoon,

We write our nightly backups off to a backup disk everynight using a backup schedule on the ReadyNAS.

We have 22 seperate disks (two week rotation + 12 monthly disks) all formatted as EXT4

The problem we're facing at the moment is keeping track of the disks themselves in terms of which disk is which.

Is there a way within the NAS interface to label each disk differently so for example we label one disk "Monday Set 1" and the next "Tuesday Set 1" etc.

We thought about adding a folder to each disk to keep track of them that way, but this gets deleted before the backup to disk runs.

At the moment the disks get picked up as "USB_HDD_##" - we can match these numbers to a day/set but aren't sure if these numbers stay with the disk at all or if it's random everytime.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 3
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Labelling External Backup Drives

Hi Delo,

Try checking this discussion. I think it can be done using SSH.

How to rename USB_HDD_2 - OS6.2.2

This is from an older firmware so I am not sure as how valid this would be given the current firmware.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Labelling External Backup Drives

@FramerV wrote:

I think it can be done using SSH.

Clearly it's needed for rotating backups, and users have been asking for it for a couple of years now.

This shouldn't require ssh, it should be built into the web ui.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements