× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Login to ReadyNAS / map a network drive

Odd_Job_007
Aspirant

Login to ReadyNAS / map a network drive

Hi, I'm trying to map my nas drive on windows 7 however I am unable to do so. I can access the NAS via the admin page on Google Chrome however it is very slow and tempremental transfering and managing files this way. This is why i want to access the files via explorer.

When I attempt to map it to drive Z:, I enter //NAS IP address and it comes up with the error "windows cannot access //NAS IP"

When I enter https://NAS IP address it appears to be connecting, however asks for my credentials. I enter my user name and password which i use to connect via Chrome, however it asks me again for the user name and password (No error message). I hit ok 2-3 times and then an error message states that map could not be created because a "Device attached to the system is not functioning".

I have uninstalled and then reinstalled file and printer sharing for windows however this has made no difference.

Please help me

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Hi Odd_Job_007

In addition to Brian's suggestions, you could also try entering the following in Window CMD

net use * /delete

net use Z:\ \\NASIP /user:admin password

Where NASIP is the IP address of the NAS and password is the admin password for the NAS.

The direction of slashes matters, so be careful there.

What model of NAS do you have (and what firmware is it running)?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Odd_Job_007,

Try accessing your ReadyNAS using file explorer and use \\NAS IP address. You can also use the same address link when mapping a share in your PC. If in case the said share has permission, you need to enter the allowed user credential that is associated in your ReadyNAS share. Also, there's a similar community thread that may help you with your problem. 

Here are some helpful articles you can look at.

Accessing ReadyNAS OS 6 using Windows Explorer

How do I get ReadyNAS shares to automatically appear on my Windows PC on startup?

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Hi Odd_Job_007

In addition to Brian's suggestions, you could also try entering the following in Window CMD

net use * /delete

net use Z:\ \\NASIP /user:admin password

Where NASIP is the IP address of the NAS and password is the admin password for the NAS.

The direction of slashes matters, so be careful there.

What model of NAS do you have (and what firmware is it running)?

Message 3 of 6
Odd_Job_007
Aspirant

Brian and Stephen, thanks for your replies.

Stephen, finally it has worked and I have used CMD to map a directory from the nas using Z. However it is only a single directory with subs but I need to map the root but I am unable to do this.

I am using the RN104 OS version 6.2.4

Thanks
Message 4 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Odd_Job_007,

Try these steps.

1. Open CMD and use net use t: \\ip.address.of.nas\data /user:admin
2. Then enter the password for 'admin' to connect.

t: is a sample drive letter 

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 5 of 6
Odd_Job_007
Aspirant

Thanks Brian, I'll try that.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors