× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lose connection to admin page of ReadyNas shortly after each reboot #25504479

kurokabau
Aspirant

Lose connection to admin page of ReadyNas shortly after each reboot #25504479

Everytime I reboot my readynas I can access the admin page. 5 minutes later and im doomed to not be able to get on to it again until I reboot. I access it all through readycloud, its just  the admin page I cant get on to.

Message 1 of 24
StephenB
Guru

Re: Lose connection to admin page of ReadyNas shortly after each reboot

What model NAS and what firmware?

Do you have ssh enabled?

Message 2 of 24
kurokabau
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104, 6.2.5.

I'm fairly sure I do.

Message 3 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

How are you getting to the admin page?

Direct browser, through raidar, or through Readycloud?

What happens when you try to go to ipaddressofnas/admin?

Did this start with 6.2.5, or when did it start?

Any apps installed?

Antivirus on?

Message 4 of 24
kurokabau
Aspirant

Direct browser, Raidar and Readycloud all just redirect me to ip/admin? https://192.168.0.2/admin/ They all open that url in my default browser (chrome). I can access all my files through readycloud.

This started before 6.2.5. Sometimes it will be fine for a fair amount of time, but then suddenly i wont be able to connect and this problem starts where the only posssibility is if i reset the device.

Apps installed are: Plex, Transmission and Sickbeard.

Antivirus used to be on, but recently turned it off to see if that helped. This problem was occuring before I did turn it off.

Message 5 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Can you do an OS reinstall using the boot menu.  Don't do a factory default.

Do you have a backup?

Message 6 of 24
kurokabau
Aspirant

I don't have a back up. I have my second hard drive in the post at the moment..

Would it be better if i took out the hard drive I have while I do the OS reinstall?

Message 7 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Ah.

You should make a backup first.

The OS reinstall reinstalls the OS from the flash onto the drive(s), so the drive needs to be in.

What are you going to do with the new disk? Even if you establish a redundant volume, you still need to back it up.

You should also test the disk that is currently in the nas, using vendor tools.

Message 8 of 24
kurokabau
Aspirant

Dang, Erm, if im not forseeing a time where I have another HD to back it up with it that isn't in the NAS is it still worth going ahead? I'm assuming the back up is a 'just in case' measure?

What is vendor tools for? Is there something in particular I should be checking? Apologies for playing 20 questions

Message 9 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Always worth checking the disks as part part of diagnosing issues like yours.  I don't think this is a disk issue though.  Vendor tools are software tools provided by most disk manufacturers, that run on a PC and allow you to test a disk attached to the PC. They are one of the most reliable methods for picking up disk errors that may not be showing up in the smart stats. 

OS reinstall is safe, but if this disk contains valuable data then I'd back it up first. 

We see many users here who make the mistake of assuming that data on a nas is 100% safe. It's not.   Hardware failure, multiple disk failures, fire, theft are just a few things that raid will not protect you against.

Message 10 of 24
canuser
Aspirant

I also upgraded to 6.2.5 when it was suggested at login.

It's turned into a disaster and I've had to revert to 6.2.4 (which I had kept handy, thankfully).

It looks like 6.2.5 is bad.  Very bad.

Reboots take huge amounts of time (e.g. 30+ minutes for me).

Network connectivity is lost repeatedly.

Admin screen stops responding repeatedly.

Network bonding cannot be configured properly - it reports a mysterious error 14002089991 but has no further details other than the number.

Startup time various wildly and has huge amounts of mysterious disk activity, during which the unit is completely un-responsive to pings or anything else.

As soon as I reverted, the unit went back to normal.  Netgear should be pulling the update ASAP.

Message 11 of 24
kurokabau
Aspirant

I went ahead with the OS reinstall since nothing on the HDD couldn't be replaced. Loaded up the admin page as usual but the same thing happened. Connects fine the first time, after 30sec-1min I lose connection and can no longer find the admin page again.

Ill make sure I find a way of backing up the NAS though for the future.

Message 12 of 24
kurokabau
Aspirant

The only issue ive faced is the losing of the admin page which was happening on 6.2.4 too.

Message 13 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Do you connect to the nas using other devices?  If so, do you lose access to the admin interface on other devices at the same time?

Have you tried other browsers?

if you reboot the PC instead of the nas, does it still fail to connect?

Message 14 of 24
canuser
Aspirant

For me, I have multiple devices connecting and all of them lost connectivity. Rebooting them made no difference, nor did full power-cycle (of the PCs or the ReadyNAS).

I only got stability back on the revert to 6.2.4.  However, that seemed to have some network settings messed up by the 6.2.5 upgrade, so I had to delete the NIC configurations and rebuild the interfaces and the network bonding.  Having done that, it seems stable again.

Message 15 of 24
kurokabau
Aspirant

I only connect to it though my macbook. I just loaded up the admin page on it as well as my android phone though, and the android phone didnt lose its connection when my macbook did.

Other browsers on my macbook had the same issue (firefox and safari).

Rebooting the PC used to occasionally work in the past but in the past few weeks it hasnt at all.

Message 16 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you please send your logs in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)? You can try downloading them using RAIDar 6.0.

6.2.5 has some important fixes in it for the 100 series. canuser do you also have a 100 series unit?

Message 17 of 24
canuser
Aspirant

Yes, I'm using RN10400.

I'll send the logs - I pulled some but it was after the revert to 6.2.4 - I could not get the unit stable enough to get them on 6.2.5.

Message 18 of 24
StephenB
Guru

If you have SSH enabled you can check for fullness of the OS partition.  That would be unusual in an OS6 NAS, but still is a possibility.  Have you ever used ssh?

You can also contact support, who can diagnose remotely.  They will likely charge (depending on the purchase date).

I think an OS reinstall is unlikely to help - so I suggest holding off on that.  Perhaps mdgm can comment.

Message 19 of 24
kurokabau
Aspirant

Reset my laptop and firefox seems to be allowing me to access the admin page all the time now.

Message 20 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

kurkobau do you have a backup?

I would suggest you backup your data. Your volume is quite full and the space is fully allocated.

Message 21 of 24
kurokabau
Aspirant

I have a new HDD on the way. I plan to move half the stuff across when it arrives. I don't have a backup though.

Oddly: I did reisntall the OS and gained another 250GB of space?? Did it empty the 'trash can' or something?

Message 22 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's possible that some files you deleted did not lead to space being freed up till after the reboot. With the volume being so full, freeing up space may take longer than usual.

Message 23 of 24
kurokabau
Aspirant

I should've replied weeks ago but thank-you for all your help.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements