× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost communication with Readynas NV+ need help

kafin8ed
Aspirant

Lost communication with Readynas NV+ need help

A week ago I had a problem with my Mac laptop harddrive and it had to get wiped and reinstalled via timemachine. Since then I have not had contact with my NV+ and I'm trying to get all the settings right... I can't get Raidair, or FrontView to work or the little status app on Dashboard. I usually use the NV+ with AFP through the finder and that's not working. The NV+ is connected via a THunderbolt Ethernet adapter, which has been reliable for over a year. In the network settings it says the THunderbolt ethernet is connected but I suspect my IP or subnet mask or router settings might be wrong. I don't know what they should be, I entered what I thought they were and that isn't working... Oh and I'm running OSX 10.9.5. I'm not very network savy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Lost communication with Readynas NV+ need help

It sounds like the ReadyNAS is directly connected to the Mac?  

If so, try connecting the NV+ to your router instead, and see if RAIDar finds it.  If it does, report back on the IP address that RAIDar fines.

If not, please provide some more details on how your network is set up.

Message 2 of 5
kafin8ed
Aspirant

Great suggestion and super easy! These are the trouble shooting tips that you can't find in the manual or faq. I haven't had the NAS set up like that, off a router, for  6 years or so - it's 10 years old! As soon as I did that raidair and radiator were working again and the CIFS and AFP shared drives popped up in the finder. 

Do I need to take any added security measures now that the NAS is accessible over wifi? Is there anything else I should be doing here?

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @kafin8ed,

@kafin8ed wrote:

Do I need to take any added security measures now that the NAS is accessible over wifi? Is there anything else I should be doing here?

Kindly check first if your NV+ is a v1 or v2 by reading this link below:

How to tell whether I have a Duo v1 or Duo v2 or NV+ v1 or NV+ v2

If ever you have an NV+ v1, kindly check this link below as reference guide on how you can set permissions for users that you want to allow access on your shares:

How do I fine-tune share access on my ReadyNAS

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@kafin8ed wrote:

Generally, you should make sure that your WiFi network has a good passphrase and is using WPA2-Personal.  Also set the encryption to AES if you have a choice there. 

The larger security concerns are if you enable over-the-internet access to your NAS (forwarding ports to the NAS).  If you want to do that, check for the current beta release for the NAS.  Often security patches are released as beta, in order to get them out more quickly.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements