× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Management service is offline - occurred while trying to update to the latest firmware.

pssc
Aspirant

Management service is offline - occurred while trying to update to the latest firmware.

OS reinstall did not fix the issue. Full disclosure: I currently do not have a service contract on the device, nor do I have a way to authorize a service contract until later this week. Tech support tells me I have to have a service contract for them to fix it and escalate the call to level 3 support. Does anyone have any alternate options for me to try? I am not interested in reformatting/factory reset. I've reviewed the threads I could find on this topic already, and they all seem to inidicate tech support is necessary, but if anyone else has anythign that has worked, I would be grateful for the information. I wanted to try to update the firmware myself, but was told that I cannot even do that myself as the end user, except via the admin interface which of course I cannot access because of what seems to be a known firmware bug, at least from what I can see past threads on this community. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Message 1 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Management service is offline - occurred while trying to update to the latest firmware.

What readynas model is this?

What firmware was on it before you updated?

Where and when did you get it?  Are you the original owner?

Message 2 of 11
pssc
Aspirant

I sent a reply back via email response. Thank  you!

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@pssc wrote:

I sent a reply back via email response. Thank  you!

The information requested was not personal, and it would have been much better if you posted a reply.  The community can't help w/o some basic information.

Message 4 of 11
pssc
Aspirant

The email simply came in before the post refreshed, I replied that way and didn't want to clutter up the thread.

The device is a ReadyNAS 312.

It was originally purchased by my office, my colleague managed it and I have recently taken over that job.

Firmware was 6.1.3 prior to update this morning.

It went through fine, signaled to reboot, that's when the device failed to come back online.

Threw a warning message to call Netgear, and do not reboot the device

Tech support was as helpful as they could be without my being under service contract. They confirmed hardware was ok

Hard shutdown/reboot didn't correct it.

OS reinstall did not correct it.

I am stuck until I can arrange/get approval for a service contract.

Thank you for your assistance.

Message 5 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pssc,

Performing OS reinstall if you have no access to the files/shares is not a good idea.

Do you have access to the shares? Or, did you have access to the shares before the OS reinstall?

If you do, you may backup all the data then factory reset the NAS to start like a fresh install then update the firmware before putting all data back. That is the best thing to do aside from getting to support center to get L3 fix this remotely.

Another this things you may need to try is use another computer or another web browser. See article: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7004/~/readynas-os-6---device-is-offline-error

If you do not have access to the shares, you really need to contact support center for L3.

Regards,

Message 6 of 11
pssc
Aspirant

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I apologize, I forgot to mention I do have access to the files/shares via mapped network drive before firmware update/after firmware update/after OS reinstall. Very thankful for that. I also have a full backup of the drive as well. Multiple browsers/computers failed to access via admin interface. My project today however, was setting up the drive to replicate to our secondary and set up local home folders for users. After the firmware update was done. Which was supposed to take 5 minutes, so of course, it's just been one of those days.

I don't mind contacting support at all, this morning when this all started they were very helpful but it escalated beyond what service I had,  I had no way to get payment authorization for that to happen. I am working on that now. I will say that I was suprised that this issue is not something Netgear can simply correct since it appears to be related to a firmware issue, particularly in light of the face that my admin access is impacted (the only way I can do anything with firmware on me end) and it seems to be a pretty common issue on the threads. I am fine with paying a service fee to hopefully avoid the time involved with doing a factory reset and resulting recovery work mind you, just feeling a bit boxed in at the moment hence the frustration.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Message 7 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pssc,

Sorry to hear about what happened.

Do you have the case number? Maybe I can check the status of the support case from here.

Regards,

Message 8 of 11
pssc
Aspirant

Hi Jen,

Much appreciated, but that' s on my side I think, I have everything I need info wise to inititate the call to get the sales contract in place, just need purchase approval, which I have heard back I will have in the morning. Then I think I will get a case number in place.

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

JennC wants to know you current Netgear support case number - you say you have already contacted Netgear support. You can edit the the thread topic to add the number.  

I would certainly take up the offer of assistance in your case, it may help to speed things up.

Message 10 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Okay, pssc. I understand. Probably they don't generate a case number until they start the support and they will start the support after validating your support contract.

regards,

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements