× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Media folder too large.?

Jacobnz
Guide

Media folder too large.?

I just bought a readynas 102.. setting up has been painfully slow all round.. eventually I have used the backup option to copy movies from my external hard drive to the Nas in a folder called movies.

From time to time I would log in and check how many movies had transferred across but now it just seems to hang or time out when I try and access the movie folder. I wonder if it times out before reading the 2000 movie folders? I've also only been getting less than 1mb transfer speeds.. and plex is not available on the apps page.. not wining
Message 1 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Re: Media folder too large.?

Is the USB drive connected to the NAS?  If so, is it connected to the front or the back?  Is it USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?

Is the RAID array still syncing?

On plex, the plex team now distributes plex directly.  You download it from plex.tv (select the arm version) and upload it on the apps page of the web ui.  The install takes a while (even on the RN202) and there are dependencies in the install that require the NAS to connect to the internet.

FWIW RN102 transfer speeds should be in the 50-70 MB/sec range.

Message 2 of 20
Jacobnz
Guide

It's a USB 3 connected to the front. My main issue at the moment is when I click on the movie folder to view the movie files on the Nas storage it just hangs with the little circle showing that it's loading then it just stops and nothings shows.. so I click on the movie folder gain and the same thing happens. I have raid set to 0 so I have more space.. all new hard drives etc
Message 3 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Jacobnz wrote:
It's a USB 3 connected to the front. 

That's a USB 2 port, so it will be a lot slower than using the rear ports.

@Jacobnz wrote:
I have raid set to 0 so I have more space.. all new hard drives etc

If you have one volume spanning both drives, then RAID-0 is very fragile.  If either drive fails, everything is lost.  So backups are particularly important if you use that mode.  FWIW, one volume for each drive is safer, though you do need to manually balance the storage (keeping adequate free space on both volumes).

What drive model are you using?

@Jacobnz wrote:
 My main issue at the moment is when I click on the movie folder to view the movie files on the Nas storage it just hangs with the little circle showing that it's loading then it just stops and nothings shows.

Of course it shouldn't be doing that.  Are you looking via the web ui, or windows explorer?

Message 4 of 20
Jacobnz
Guide

I have been using Google Chrome, the movie files have just become visible so I assume perhaps it just couldn't access the file during the backup process.

Is there a way to create individual files for each hard drive in a raid 0 setup or would I need to format and start again?

Also while I have your input I am quite new to streaming and networking I will be using a raspberry pi 3 for streaming he movies from the Nas us smb the fastest connection method?
Message 5 of 20
StephenB
Guru

What drive models?

@Jacobnz wrote:
I have been using Google Chrome, the movie files have just become visible so I assume perhaps it just couldn't access the file during the backup process.

Try accessing with file explorer

@Jacobnz wrote:

Is there a way to create individual files for each hard drive in a raid 0 setup or would I need to format and start again?

You'd need to start again - destroying the existing volume, create two new ones, then recreating your shares and copying your data.

You should have backups with any RAID format though.

@Jacobnz wrote:

Also while I have your input I am quite new to streaming and networking I will be using a raspberry pi 3 for streaming he movies from the Nas us smb the fastest connection method?

NFS could could be faster with the Raspberry pi, but SMB should be fast enough.  Even full BluRay only requires about 6-7 megabytes per second, and a typical MKV requires much less.  There's no need for plex if you are using SMB - plex and ReadyDLNA use their own connection methods.

Message 6 of 20
Jacobnz
Guide

I just tried connecting my usb3 external hard drive to the rear of the nas unit as you said to move files faster, but it didnt show up so i tried restarting the nas, it took a while to load and then said i have no volumes setup... have i lost everthing?

I have retarted the nas and disconnected the usb drive, it now says the readynas admin page is offline?

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 7 of 20
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Jacobnz,

Did you not safely remove the USB disk? There is an eject button on the admin page before unplugging the usb disk. Try rebooting the NAS again without the USB disk again and see if the admin page will load. 

Regards,

Message 8 of 20
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Ya, on the Admin Page where you see the drive you plugged in, there's a little gear with a option to format or Eject.  Before pulling the HDD from USB or eSata, Eject first and when it tells you it's been ejected, then go pull the USB or esata drive.    Still it's not the fastest way to transfer files.  I've been restoring my ReadyNAS 516 for a few days now. 

I have to say this. The BACKUP software SUCKS!!!  I lost almost 3TB of Data to the ReadyNAS backup!!! Why?  Because there's some issue withmy 3TB HDD I used, but since it looked like it had my Data on it, and the logs didn't show any issues, I figured it was all good.  Until I went to restore and found out half or more of my files were curupted.   My new 8TB drive was fine I used to backup most of my files, but the 3TB one was bad. 

That Backup software blows for so many reasons.  I'm going to have to figure something else use.  That's just not going to work.  All my files also didn't go back into the directory's they were suppose to.   It's really been a nightmare.  Bad enough I had to figure out what I could fit onto the 8TB HDD manually and whatever left on the 3TB HDD.  It really is some primative software and I don't recomend it.  Advoid like the plage.  I'm now trying to get my Data I lost once again by other means. 

Message 9 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

Because there's some issue withmy 3TB HDD I used, but since it looked like it had my Data on it, and the logs didn't show any issues, 

If you were using incremental backup, then this isn't really the NAS - I've run into the same issues with Windows.  Old stuff on the USB drive can look intact, but if the sectors holding the datablocks have failed, then reading the data fails.

This is one reason to rotate backup drives.

Backup does have an option to clear the backup folder and start over every now and then.  That can detect the failure.of the drive.

Message 10 of 20
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

This was a NEW backup with the HDD plugged in the back of the NAS by USB3 and using the NAS to format the drive.  It was not a incremental backup.  I don't even know if that's possible with the backup of the NAS.   I had no problem with the 8TB drive I did the same thing with.  In fact using the new BTRFS format on them!!!    Again, I'm not even seeing a Incremental option on backup.  It was a new copy and the logs didn't show a single thing wrong with that backup.  A backup that was under 2 weeks old.  Even if I had a second set to backup on, if the program is not going to log any issues, that backup will always be bad and worthless.

Message 11 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

This was a NEW backup with the HDD plugged in the back of the NAS by USB3 and using the NAS to format the drive.  It was not a incremental backup.

Of course errors on a full backup should have been detected/logged. 

You can do incremental backups to USB, by using rsync.  You treat the source as "remote", using localhost (127.0.0.1) as the IP address.

Message 12 of 20
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Will this do a full backup? Will it fill one drive and I can pull that and add another drive and continue on?  Right now I have about 10TB of Data.  My largest backup drive is 8TB in size.  I plan to get a second 8TB HDD shortly.  Once it's all backed up, can I then incremental backup on that second HDD?   I'd still have about 6TB of space  left on it.  Which is why I used a 3TB HDD before which seems to be a flacky HDD!!!  I had no errors for that last backup.

Does it work in the same way to restore?   I really don't know anything about rsync and have never used it before.  Using the normal backup, it would fail if I just tried to backup the whole NAS because it would run out of space on the HDD.  Then I'm trying to figure out how much space this directory will take and that and add it up to make sure I don't go over and have a failed backup.  That completly just BLOWS!!!   I should just be able to point to my files and say back that up and it does does it.    In this case I should be able to tell it to backup all these directory's and it'll fill my 8TB HDD and then let me know to swap with another HDD to continue on.  Does it do that?

Message 13 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

Will this do a full backup? Will it fill one drive and I can pull that and add another drive and continue on?  

It won't continue to a second disk.

What you'd do is a share-by-share backup (backing up each share independently, and organizing the backup jobs so that no USB drive becomes completely full). You can also back up all of "home", though restoring it is a bit of a nuisance.

Note share-by-share backup will also work with local->local backups (not just rsync).

I agree the balancing can be a pain, but of course the larger the USB disks are, the easier it is to do.  I do something similar in my NAS->NAS backups (my backup RN102 for instance has an 8 TB and a 6 TB volume, and the shares are manually balanced in the two volumes).

Message 14 of 20
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I got to say that's kind of lame!   Seems like some really primative backup software.  There's must be a better solution then that.

Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

Seems like some really primative backup software.  There's must be a better solution then that.

The back up jobs just do file copies - Rsync, cp, etc.  My backup targets are OS-6 shares on another NAS, with snapshots enabled.  So that does give me some rollback.

Replicate is more sophisticated, but I've never used it.  ReadyDR uses btrfs send/receive, and it preserves snapshots on the source.  So that does give you some versioning (via snapshots).  

Message 16 of 20
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

The problem with btrfs is I don't have anything other then the NAS that can read that format.  So this last backup I just used NTFS.  At least then I can pop the drive on my Windows Computer and ready it that way.    I don't have room or money to get a second NAS to use as backup.   I just want a easy way to backup all my files in their directory's, and be smart enough where whe one HDD is full, it'll tell me to pop in another HDD and maybe ask if it needs to be formated or not.  Then continue from there.  Then does incemental backup's of anyting new.  Just adding to the last HDD that still has space.    This is basic backup stuff done on computers for years.    Maybe I need to find Windows software that can backup my NAS the right way.  It would be slower having to go though the Network to my PC, but I'm not sure what other options there is.  I can't be the only person with these issues.

Message 17 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

I just want a easy way to backup all my files in their directory's, and be smart enough where whe one HDD is full, it'll tell me to pop in another HDD and maybe ask if it needs to be formated or not.  Then continue from there.  Then does incemental backup's of anyting new.  Just adding to the last HDD that still has space.   

Maybe post the feature on the idea exchange.

Message 18 of 20
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

It just seems like backup 101 type of thing.  It's not like it's something NEW.  It's something I've done for years backing up my PC.  Anything from Floppy's to Tape Drive, to CD/DVD's, etc   

In these times, it really seems silly that I have to manually figure out how much space the directory is using, add up the differnt directoy's until I'm about where I need to be to copy onto a 3TB HDD or whatever the size it is.  Because if I go over, the backup is a FAIL.  If I don't go enough, it's just more time wasted.  It's like going backwards and getting dumber software.  Instead of getting better, and easier to use.  Like I said, I was doing with this a Tape Drive backing up. Fill a tape, pull it, pop in another and continue on.  When I restored, same thing, restore from the first tape, when it got to the end, it'd tell me me pop the next one in and it would continue.  All these YEARS ago and they were doing this.  Going frm TAPE to a HDD should really be no different.   It really should be simple and automatic.  I want to back this up on my NAS, Pick these folders, I have to backup to this USB or ESATA port, and away it goes.  Ask for a HDD, Do you want to format it?  YES/NO , Hit Yes and away it goes.  When the HDD is full, it should simple asked for another HDD and again ask for format or not and conitnue, Not abort with a failed backup.   I just don't get it.  Talking about primative backup software.  For backup being so important, why is is such a big pain in the butt?  

I havn't looked into how other company's NAS units do backup.  Are they this bad?  Or do they have real backup software?   After a full backup, there should be Incremental backups, anything that's new or changed should then get backed up on any extra space left on the last HDD you used.  It should be smart enough to tell you if you have enough space to install that Incremental backup onto that HDD.  It should be just as simple to restore it all, and into the correct directory's. The same place they were copied from.  

I don't know if the answer is finding PC software that works with a NAS and so can backup a NAS, far better, though slow having to backup over the Network.   I just havn't had time to go backup software hunting.

Message 19 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

It just seems like backup 101 type of thing.  It's not like it's something NEW.  It's something I've done for years backing up my PC.  Anything from Floppy's to Tape Drive, to CD/DVD's, etc   

I understand your point of view.  But I think you should you post the idea in the exchange.  Netgear mines the exchange for new features, it is likely to be lost if you only post it here.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements