× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrate from dead ReadyNAS NV+ to new ReadyNAS 524X

MikeD
Aspirant

Migrate from dead ReadyNAS NV+ to new ReadyNAS 524X

After several weeks of frustrations I have decided to dump my old ReadyNAS NV+ v1 for a new ReadyNAS 524x. The 524x arrived and it is configured and ready to go. My main reason for upgrading was that i could no longer manage any of the NV+ files in Windows 10 and that appears to be preventing me from moving the files over to the new 524x. I simply want to move all my files with the folder structure intact (there are 1000+ folders and 10,000 files). I attributed all this to craziness to windows no longer supporting SMBv1. I upgraded my NV+ firmware to the latest and it made no difference. I also made sure all my rounter, modem and switch firmware is updated. The 524x works great - i can see it in the file explorer and I can read and write to it. This is how the NV+ used to work until a recent Windows 10 update.

I can 'see' all the files and folders and play music or open pictures using the http interface (of course it tells me that the connection is not safe). I reverted back to guest read/write access. And I turned off my firewall. However If I try to copy anything it only copies links. How do I move all my data to the new ReadyNAS 524x? I have tried many of the tricks - turning on certain windows services etc  to no avail. The only thing I have not done is re-install SMBv1 in windows. Is that the only solution?

Collectively I have been at this for 3-4 hrs a day for a week now (it was loads of fun upgradeing all my firmware :)). Can i create some kind of shell in windows etc.. that lets me access the NV+. 

Then the inevitable followup question - can i use my NV+ to backup my new 524x? Not sure if there are apps for this that avoid Windows 10.

ReadyNAS 524x

Firmware 6.9.3

Model: ReadyNAS NV+
Serial:  
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.16 [1.00a043] 
Memory:

256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only,RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X Premium performance Business Data Storage
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Migrate from dead ReadyNAS NV+ to new ReadyNAS 524X

You can follow this guide How do I back up data from a RAIDiator 4 system to a ReadyNAS OS 6 system?

Once the data's copied across to the RN524X you could reverse the source and destination in the backup jobs to use the NV+ to backup important data from the RN524X going forward.

The jump from the NV+ v1 to the RN524X is a big jump. The RN524X is a lot more powerful and runs a much more modern OS. It uses a different RAID format and filesystem as well.

We don't expect you to spend hours trying to figure out how to do things. If you can't figure out the answer quickly yourself or find the information you need from a quick search then the community is here to help.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
MikeD
Aspirant

Re: Migrate from dead ReadyNAS NV+ to new ReadyNAS 104

I should not have use the adjective 'dead' to describe my NV+ - its operating and shows as 'healthy'. It is simply not accessible - perhaps 'compromised' would have been a better adjective.

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can follow this guide How do I back up data from a RAIDiator 4 system to a ReadyNAS OS 6 system?

Once the data's copied across to the RN524X you could reverse the source and destination in the backup jobs to use the NV+ to backup important data from the RN524X going forward.

The jump from the NV+ v1 to the RN524X is a big jump. The RN524X is a lot more powerful and runs a much more modern OS. It uses a different RAID format and filesystem as well.

We don't expect you to spend hours trying to figure out how to do things. If you can't figure out the answer quickly yourself or find the information you need from a quick search then the community is here to help.

Message 3 of 5
MikeD
Aspirant

Thank you so much that was very helpful. It also worked

The main reason it took so long is that I tried so many different variations trying to get the NV+ to work like it used to in Windows 10 and then spent a few days updating firmware on all my switches routers and my modem. Is it correct to say I can not manage the NV+ files in Windows 10 (e.g. I did not miss anything in my attempts). I also tried accessing the NV+ using http on my daughters MAC and had the same issue - i could not copy any files (they were treated as links). If I back up to NV+ and need a file from it - will i be able to access it?

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You'd need to turn SMBv1 client support back on on your Windows 10 PC or access it over another protocol e.g. NFS, or e.g. run a backup job to backup the file you need to retrieve from the NV+.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements