× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating from Duo v1 to RN210 reusing disks

hefalumps
Aspirant

Migrating from Duo v1 to RN210 reusing disks

Hi all,

I've owned my Duo for almost seven years, and while it's still functioning for now, I've decided I'd like to upgrade to a comparable, newer model before the Duo gives up the ghost and I'm stuck in a potential data recovery scenario.

What I'd like to do is purchase something along the lines of a diskless RN212 (still comparing models) and migrate from the Duo to the RN212 while reusing the disks from the Duo. I know, I should consider just buying new disks as well, but I've already replaced my original Duo drives with 2 TB Red drives, and I don't plan on using the Duo as a failover device.

Now, I know a straight "plug and play" isn't possible between the two NAS boxes - that's OK. But I was hoping the community could check my migration logic to see if this strategy would work:

1) Take a full backup of the NAS to an external USB drive. I usually do this anyway, but I'll do a fresh backup before migration to protect against a hardware failure *during* migration.

2) Remove drive 2 from the Duo. Not sure if the Duo should be shutdown when I do this, but presumably the Duo should still function with 1 disk, just without protection.

3) Put that drive 2 from the Duo in the RN212 as the main OS disk (disk 1). Follow whatever procedures are on the RN212 to get it setup with the same users, groups, settings, etc. as the Duo and update firmware.

4) Setup a backup/copy of the data between the Duo and the RN212. I'm faily Linux savvy so I can either do this using rsync through the SSH interface or through Frontview.

5) Once all the data is on the RN212, shutdown the Duo, move the Duo Disk 1 into the RN212 as disk 2, and have the RN212 setup X-RAID protection using the second disk.

I know I could just copy the data to the RN212 using the external USB backup and move both disks at once, but I like the idea of having both NAS devices operating at the same time so I can compare settings on each when setting up the RN212.

So I'm curious to hear what the community thinks - will this work? I thought I read somewhere (but can't find it again) that new ReadyNas firmware will refuse to write to disks that had been used by RAIDiator as a safety precaution to keep users from accidentally blowing away their data, so am I going to have to do anything special to get the RN212 to use the disks from the Duo one at a time like that?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!

hefalumps

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Migrating from Duo v1 to RN210 reusing disks

Your method will work, and is safe enough since you have a backup. 

UID/GID for guest on the RN210 won't match the UID/GID for nobody on the Duo.  If you use nobody/nobody as owner/group on the duo's shares you might want to reset the shares to use admin/admin before migrate the data.

You will need to use the boot menu to force the factory default on the first disk (since it is formatted).  When you insert the second disk, you'll need to use the format control on the volume page - then it will add the second disk to the array.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Your method will work, and is safe enough since you have a backup. 

UID/GID for guest on the RN210 won't match the UID/GID for nobody on the Duo.  If you use nobody/nobody as owner/group on the duo's shares you might want to reset the shares to use admin/admin before migrate the data.

You will need to use the boot menu to force the factory default on the first disk (since it is formatted).  When you insert the second disk, you'll need to use the format control on the volume page - then it will add the second disk to the array.

Message 2 of 4
hefalumps
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen!

Regarding the nobody/guest mismatch, your suggestion is that I go into the "Advanced Share Permissions" for each share owned by nobody/nogroup on the Duo and change them to admin/admin? Does admin share the same uid/gid in both places?

I have the SSH add-on on my Duo - I was kind of hoping that I'd just be able to SSH into the RN212 and chown anything that got messed up. I figured there was a good possibility that, depending on the order I create my shares and users on the RN212, that kind of stuff was going to get mixed up anyway. I could also use a different transfer method between the two NASes so that the files from the Duo would be created with the default permissions of the destination share on the RN212.

I have a few small "nobody-owned" shares - I guess I could try to copy one of those first and see how it goes, then adjust my strategy accordingly.

Thanks for your help - when I get around to doing this, I'll post back how it goes. I haven't actually purchased the RN212 yet - wanted to make sure this strategy made sense before doing too much more research!

hefalumps

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@hefalumps wrote:

Regarding the nobody/guest mismatch, your suggestion is that I go into the "Advanced Share Permissions" for each share owned by nobody/nogroup on the Duo and change them to admin/admin? 

Yes.  It matters more in my case, since I am still using OS 4 ReadyNAS for backup.

@hefalumps wrote:

Does admin share the same uid/gid in both places?

admin/admin is 98/98 in both systems.

nobody/nogroup is 65534/65534 on OS 4 systems but (like guest) is 99/99 on OS 6.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements