× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Migration question 316 and 516

x219c
Luminary

Migration question 316 and 516

I have a 516 up and running at the moment, and it's been running for over a year. It's set up as RAID6 with 3TB drives. I recently bought a 316 to back up the 516, and I also bought more drives. My thought is that it might be better to use the new drives in the 516, since that's what I access and use most times. I don't really want to have to re-configure everything from the ground up, but could if I needed to. I figure I have a couple of options.

1. Shut down the 516 and put all of the drives into the 316. It should start right up and continue on as my 516 did. This will become my backup. Then I can put in the new drives in the 516, set it up, and then just transfer the data back over. This is my first, and probably preferred idea. Does anyone see any problems with this?

2. Re-do all of the drives and restore from backups. This is less ideal as I have my backups on single drives around, and the cloud. It would take way too long to restore, and I don't like the risk of one of the single backup drives failing in the middle of the restore. 

Any other ways? Any problems with the first idea? I don't mind shuffling the data around, so maybe go with #1, then after transferring the data to the 516, factory reset the 316 and backup from the 516. 

I'm probably overthinking this...

Message 1 of 7
cpu8088
Virtuoso

might as well use the new drives in 316 as backup nas

no prob using 516 and older drives as working nas

backup suppose to be safe and secure otherwise u might as well not have backup at all

Message 2 of 7
x219c
Luminary

I guess the only other thing is that I bought Seagate 3TB NAS drives this time around. I currently have WD RED's in the 516. I was under the impression they would be slightly faster than the RED's. Of course, it wouldn't be much, but I don't think it'd be bad to take advantage of it. 

Message 3 of 7
cpu8088
Virtuoso

seagete write speed is faster

red read speed is comparable with the seagate

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

You can see A-B test results here for the 4 TB models: http://www.storagereview.com/wd_red_4tb_hdd_review_wd40efrx.   The WDC was faster, 

3 TB could well be reversed (e.g. seagate could be faster) - but I'm not seeing a direct comparison.  There is an A-B test of a 3 TB WDC vs a 4 TB Seagate, but in my opinion that is not apples to apples.

Message 5 of 7
x219c
Luminary

Thanks guys, that gives me a bit to go on... Just curious. If I took out the drives and put them in the other system (in order)... it should work, right?

Message 6 of 7
x219c
Luminary

Okay, it does work. (moving the array) I know I've seen that elsewhere around here.

As an aside, I ended up moving the array to the new 316, and I'm starting from scratch on the 516. After looking further, there was some installed apps that I can't get rid of from that period in time where the new firmware broke removing apps... I just want to clean house. 

I'll set up the 516, transfer all the data over, then factory reset the 316 and use it as a backup. 

Thank you Stephen, this isn't the first time you've helped me. I appreciate it! cpu8088, thank you as well!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements