× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Moving from RAID 0 to X-RAID or RAID 1? [Ultra 2]

Readyboi
Aspirant

Moving from RAID 0 to X-RAID or RAID 1? [Ultra 2]

I have an Ultra 2 with a single drive set as RAID 0.

When adding a second (identical) drive I am not getting the option to use X-RAID or RAID1 for redundancy.  I previously had this drive set up for RAID 0 but have deleted the volume so was expecting to be able to start again.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You can't get to xraid w/o doing a factory reset (assuming 4.2.x firmware).

But you should be able to get to RAID-1 with flexraid.

Are you seeing the two drives on the "available disks" list - page 38 here: http://documentation.netgear.com/ultra/enu/202-10654-01/usermanual_1.pdf

Message 2 of 8
Readyboi
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

I don't see the drive as available to add.  It does however show on the 'Add Volume' tab so I'm sure its connected and working OK.

Is there a reason why it wouldn't show as an Available Disk?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Readyboi wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I don't see the drive as available to add.  It does however show on the 'Add Volume' tab so I'm sure its connected and working OK.

Is there a reason why it wouldn't show as an Available Disk?

It seems to me that it should show (an identical replacement).  If the drive was used, then try unformatting it.

On a windows PC right click on computer then pick "manage".  You delete the partitions - windows calls them volumes - and you don't create new ones or reformat.

Alternatively zero the drive with manufacturer diags. If you see a "quick erase" in the diag, that will be enough (it zeros a bunch of sectors at the beginning and end of the disk).

Maybe someone from Netgear will have another suggestion. 

Message 4 of 8
Readyboi
Aspirant

Thanks again.

I deleted the drive's partition from the command line (using cfdisk) as I don't have a computer I can put the hard disk in to.  The second drive now shows in RAIDar but I can't see anything on available disks still.  Also now the 'Add Volume' tab has gone which is there before.  Not sure if unplugging the drive in and out will work but I wouldn't think so.  Will try when I am back with the device.

I think I will dig around if theres a simple way from the command line to completely wipe the disk back to zero to try and trigger the ReadyNAS to start its process from scratch and kick off the FlexRAID.  Any suggestions here also welcome 🙂

[b]STOP PRESS:[/b] The drive has now appeared on the Add Volume screen so I'm back at the start...
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you are ok with setting up the NAS again from scratch you can simply do a factory reset.

That will destroy all data, and you'd need to reconfigure the NAS and reinstall your addons.

Message 6 of 8
Readyboi
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

If you are ok with setting up the NAS again from scratch you can simply do a factory reset.

That will destroy all data, and you'd need to reconfigure the NAS and reinstall your addons.

Trying to avoid that if at all possible!

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Readyboi wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Trying to avoid that if at all possible!

If you don't have a backup, now would be an excellent time to make one.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements