× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple drives fail in 3rd position in readynas. Could port be damaging drive or coincidence ?

miogpsrocks
Tutor

Multiple drives fail in 3rd position in readynas. Could port be damaging drive or coincidence ?

I think I have had like 3 drives fail all in the  3rd drive position in the  readynas. Could port  #3 be damaging drives or is this just a crazy  coincidence ? 

Thanks. 

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Multiple drives fail in 3rd position in readynas. Could port be damaging drive or coincidence ?

We would need more info to be able to determine that.

Which firmware are you running?

Which brand and model disks have you used in that slot?

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Multiple drives fail in 3rd position in readynas. Could port be damaging drive or coincidence ?

Also it would be useful to post a bit more information on how the drives failed.  Pending sectors/reallocated sectors can't be caused by the NAS, but SATA interface issues could be either the disk or the chassis.

Message 3 of 4
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

Agree with mdgm and Stephen. Please also check:

1. During normal operation, is drive in 3rd position much hotter than other drives(e.g. more than 3C)? Is there excessive dust on cooling fan?

2. Were 2nd and 3rd fail RMA drives or new drives? Drive vendor sometimes uses B-grade drives for RMA, these do tend to fail more often than regular new drives.

I don't believe coincidence in engineering, when something strikes 3 times, there must be something to it. 3 consecutive failures in same channel is pretty unusual, you may want to try some unusual actions if we don't have reasonable explanation after you follow Matthew and Stephen's suggestion:

Maybe try drive from different vendor. After you put new drive in 3rd position, take it out, and carefully examine scratch on drive golden finger pins. The contact markings should be in center, should not be off center too much. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements