× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My ReadyNAS NV+ is confused.

BikeHelmet
Aspirant

My ReadyNAS NV+ is confused.

Hello,

My ReadyNAS NV+ appears to be confused. I was doing some spring cleaning on it this winter - I went into a share and deleted a bunch of files. Rather than deleting them, all network shares vanished. I rebooted the NV+, but the shares did not return. I also noticed that one drive had 12 reallocated sectors.

I bought a 6TB external drive. I was still able to connect in over SSH, so I backed up 6TB of files with WinSCP at ~800KB/sec. (Yes, this took about 2 months.)

I then tried an OS reinstall. It finished, but the web interface only came up partially. No images, page malformed, had about 3 elements/buttons on it rather than the usual number.

After that I tried a factory reset. It now gets stuck at 'Booting...'

Any thoughts on how to revive my confused NV+? Perhaps it is time for retirement?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

12 is still a small count, but it's possible that disk could be the problem.

You could try a factory reset with just three disks in the system rather than four to see if the disk with the reallocated sectors is the problem as your next step. You don't need to move the disks around.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you powered down, removed your disks (label order), hooked them up to your PC and checked for a bad disk using vendor tools (e.g. SeaTools for SeaGate disks and WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for WD disks)?

Have you run the memory test boot menu option a few times?

Message 2 of 5
BikeHelmet
Aspirant

I know one drive has 12 reallocated sectors. I was going to toss it in the recycle and replace it. Should I do that before attempting another OS reinstall? According to my logs, it was Drive 2.

Memtest on the unit says everything is fine.

Can I remove Drive 2, swap the drives around, do a factory reset and let the RAID array rebuild? The only spare 2TB that I have onhand is partially used. I need to unload part of the 6TB drive somewhere (Ex: ReadyNAS) to free up space to empty the 2TB drive that will replace the dying one.

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

12 is still a small count, but it's possible that disk could be the problem.

You could try a factory reset with just three disks in the system rather than four to see if the disk with the reallocated sectors is the problem as your next step. You don't need to move the disks around.

Message 4 of 5
BikeHelmet
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

That seems to have been the problem. After removing the drive and performing another factory reset, the web interface came up properly. I just updated to the latest firmware, and will start copying files back soon. Thanks. 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements