× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS allows 2 copies of file to be read/write at same time

gilesman
Aspirant

NAS allows 2 copies of file to be read/write at same time

My ReadyNAS duo has always successfully stopped 2 read/write copies of the same file being open at the same time, in just the same way as windows does - you get an option to open a read only, or to be notified, if someone else has already got the file open. Often the NAS reports that someone else has got a file open when they haven't, but you just have to select the notify option, and within 30 secs it will say that the file is now available for read/write. Annoying, but I can live with it.
However, this has suddenly changed, and on several occasions in the last week I have been able to open a read/write copy of a file that is open (as read/write) on someone else's PC. This is quite scary, because someone is going to lose their edits. It should not be possible. Does anyone out there have any clues as to why this might be possible, or if it is an indication of a general failure?
Thanks very much,
Giles
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NAS allows 2 copies of file to be read/write at same tim

What version of RAIDiator are you running on the NAS?

Have you made changes on the PC recently that could have affected this?
Message 2 of 5
gilesman
Aspirant

Hi - I am on 4.01.

No, nothing changed recently - its just increasingly saying that a file is open when its not, but it has always done that occasionally.
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

RAIDiator 4.01 firmware is from back in 2008. You might wish to try updating the firmware. There's not much help that can be provided for an issue like this if you stay on very old firmware.
Message 4 of 5
gilesman
Aspirant

Sorry, I was looking at RAIDar, instead of RAIDiator. The version of the latter is 4.1.8.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements