× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS crashes on large file copy

ozzed
Aspirant

NAS crashes on large file copy

Hi!

I recently discovered that my Reaynas 102 does not seem to handle moving files very well. If I try to move a ~200GB folder from one share to another on the same NAS, it eventually freezes up and a complete hard reboot (unplugging and replugging the power cord) is the only thing that will get it back up and running again. Before the freeze, I run into "unspecified network errors" from Windows.

I'm well aware that this model by no means is for "heavy duty" use, but surely it should be able to handle simple file moving?

What I have tried to far is to give the unit a thorough cleaning with compressed air. This brought cpu temp down from ~68c to ~60c, and now it seems to handle things better, so maybe it's a temperature issue?

If so, I was wondering if there's a noob-friendly way to make the fan a bit more agressive? Mine seems to always hover around ~800RPM no matter what. And I very much prefer stable operation over silence.

Any help appreciated.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Re: NAS crashes on large file copy

What firmware are you running?  Is the antivirus service enabled?

How full is the volume?

Message 2 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

Firmware is 6.4.2, Antivirus is not enabled, I have 2.65 TB free of 3.63TB total. There's 2 4TB WD red drives in the NAS.

Message 3 of 29
StephenB
Guru

That rules out the usual suspects Smiley Wink

I agree your copy should simply have worked.  I just reset my RN102 and restored ~4TiB of data with rsync with no problems.  

If you think this hardware related, you could try getting an RMA.  Though maybe someone here will want to see your logs (which might help if you need to convince support that an RMA is justified).

Message 4 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

I'm happy to provide anything that is asked for.

Do you know what the temps were for your restore? Mine was like 68c and I'm suspecting that might have been the issue. temps are currently ~60c after the dust removal, and things seem to progress smoothly for now. But I'd also be interested in a way to get the fan speed up, as ~800 is obviously not enough to keep the cpu cool in my environmemt.

Edit: I spoke too soon. Same behavior now, even though the highest temps I saw this time was 64c, so it's probably not the temps at all.

Message 5 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@ozzed wrote:

I'm happy to provide anything that is asked for.

Do you know what the temps were for your restore?

Sorry, i wasn't monitoring the temps.  The unit is in my unheated basement, so it likely stayed pretty cool.

@ozzed wrote:

I'm happy to provide anything that is asked for...

Edit: I spoke too soon. Same behavior now, even though the highest temps I saw this time was 64c, so it's probably not the temps at all.

Maybe try mailing the logs to Netgear, and PM mgdm, asking if he can take a look for you.  The email address is here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21543/~/how-do-i-send-all-logs-to-a-readynas-community...

You should put probably put "ATTN: MDGM" in the subject line, and include a link to the forum post in the body.

You might get a delivery failure notification for some email addresses - that doesn't mean that mdgm won't receive them.

Message 6 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

I can try that 🙂

How would I go about to extract the relevant logs to send to mdgm?

Message 7 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Download the full zip (either from the web ui or RAIDar), and email the entire zip.

Message 8 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

Well, now I've sent the logs. I'll wait and hope 🙂

Message 9 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try disabling Jumbo Frames and see if that makes any difference?

Message 10 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

I will try and see if that makes a difference. If it does, does that mean it's a firmware bug, or are Jumbo Frames just acting up in general?

Will report result when I get home.

Message 11 of 29
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, Jumbo frames are disabled on mine.

Message 12 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

Setting MTU back to 1500 does seem to "fix" the issue so it probably is a bug with how Jumbo Frames are handled by the NAS. Do I file a bug report or what's next?

Message 13 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For Jumbo Frames to work well all your devices need to support them and you need to have the appropriate MTU set on your devices.

It is also worth noting this:

Skywalker wrote:

However, the benefits of jumbo frames on RN10x are questionable at best.  The Marvell chipset used in RN10x is not capable of doing TCP checksum or segmentation offloading on packets larger than 1600 bytes.  So you'll usually experience much better TX performance with a smaller MTU.

Message 14 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

So an MTU of 1600 would be better than 1500? All my devices do support jumbo frames but if the chipset is incapable of benefiting from MTU bigger than 1600, maybe it shouldn't be a choice in the GUI to begin with. And even if there is no benefit to 9000 byte jumbo frames, the device shouldn't "crash" from it, right?

I am perfectly OK with jumbo frames not being supported by the chipset as it's more of a "cost effective" series of NAS, but I do believe the crashing and network errors is something that should be looked into. 

Message 15 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

Message 16 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@ozzed wrote:

So an MTU of 1600 would be better than 1500?

No.  The packet per second reduction is marginal, so you are better off running standard ethernet (jumbo frames are commonly used, but are not part of the ethernet standard).

@ozzed wrote:

but I do believe the crashing and network errors is something that should be looked into. 

I agree.  JF might not improve performance, but if the feature is selected the NAS shouldn't fail.

Message 17 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

In an ideal world I think it would. The CPU is weak so any job that it doesn't have to do should, in theory improve performance. I've left it at 1600 for now as I see an improvement in performance compared to 1500. It's not "huge" or anything but it's there. And while it might be trivial for copying single files here and there, I'd immagine it will actually save time when hundreds of gigabytes are copied.

And I'd like to file a bug report also.. Just because a feature might not improve performance if activated doesn't mean that it's OK that it's left broken. If Jumbo frames makes no difference and the feature can't be implementet properly it'd be better to just remove the choice to enable it.

Message 18 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RN102 logs show an OOM (Out of Memory) condition. Which services/apps are you running?

The logs also show that you input an MTU value of 999999999 which is quite odd.
Message 19 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

I'm running transmission with 5 torrents seeding, seeing an average upload of ~200MB/day.

The odd input is because I tried finding the max value, which the system doesn't tell you is 9600-ish... But I think it was autocorrected upon reboot. That's probably another area that could be improved. It's silly that you can input such great numbers when the maximum that can be set is much smaller.

If the crash is caused by an out of memory issue it's probably something with the file transfer. Maybe some cache that isn't flushing properly since it happens when copying files from the nas to the nas but doesn't seem to happen if files are copied to or from another device.

Message 20 of 29
StephenB
Guru

transmission could be relevant.

Does it crash when transmission is disabled?

Message 21 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

Just so I don't do stuff that isn't asked for... You want me to disable transmission, re-set jumbo frames to 9630 or whatever the max value is, and try to copy the same large folder again and see if there are the same network errors or crashes that I previously experienced?

Message 22 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@ozzed wrote:

Just so I don't do stuff that isn't asked for... You want me to disable transmission, re-set jumbo frames to 9630 or whatever the max value is, and try to copy the same large folder again and see if there are the same network errors or crashes that I previously experienced?

Note I don't work for Netgear - I was mostly wondering if you'd tested it w/o transmission. If your system is stable now, you could just leave it alone.

But if you do want to see if transmission is related, you could try disabling transmission, resetting the MTU to 9000 and testing the file transfer again.

I'm not sure what the max MTU is in the NAS, but 9000 is the most commonly used JF size.  There is always some ambiguity as to whether MTU setting means the max ethernet frame size or the (slightly smaller) max IP packet size.  So it is always best to check the path MTU with ping to confirm the MTU settings act as desired.

FWIW, you could also run a ping test to see if the crashes or network errors recur.  For instance, with windows

ping -f -l 8972 -t NASIPADDRESS

That will send 9000 byte packets until you stop it with ctrl-c.

Message 23 of 29
ozzed
Aspirant

I can try that when I come home. I've allready tried pinging with 9000 bytes and that works without issues.

Message 24 of 29
StephenB
Guru

If it runs long enough, you could possibly see more receive chksum errors - just a thought.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements