× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS not starting any services #25220444

StephenB
Guru

InterClaw wrote:
About 64-bit, that doesn't help us on our systems since Embedded Java only exists in 32-bit, right? 😕 So until that changes there's no point in being able to allocate more than the ~3700MBs right?
Crashplan support just confirmed that the linux version only runs on 32 bit.

Even with that restriction, the memory upgrade will still let me more than than double the 1536MB I was using before this issue started - which should keep me out of trouble for a while.
Message 26 of 48
InterClaw
Aspirant

Yeah hope the memory upgrade works out alright for you! 🙂
Message 27 of 48
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

I don't know how well this will work, but I just moved /usr/local/crashplan to /c/.crashplan and then created a sym link to it:

ln -s /c/.crashplan /usr/local/crashplan

Crashplan seems to be working ok that way

I did the same thing for the /tmp dir, moved it to /c/.tmp/ and sym linked to it.  That one I am not as confident I won't run into some strange problem sooner or later, but I'm trying it for a while.  

This should prevent either /tmp nor /usr/local/crashplan from ever filling up the root partition again.

Message 28 of 48
StephenB
Guru

@Dewdman42 wrote:

I don't know how well this will work, but I just moved /usr/local/crashplan to /c/.crashplan and then created a sym link to it:

ln -s /c/.crashplan /usr/local/crashplan

Crashplan seems to be working ok that way

I did the same thing for the /tmp dir, moved it to /c/.tmp/ and sym linked to it.  That one I am not as confident I won't run into some strange problem sooner or later, but I'm trying it for a while.  

This should prevent either /tmp nor /usr/local/crashplan from ever filling up the root partition again.

I moved the cache by changing my.service.xml (look for <cachePath>) but left the rest alone.  

If /c/ couldn't be mounted you might have some issues running w/o  /tmp.  So I'm not confident in that one either.

It sounds like you ran out of memory?

Message 29 of 48
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Yea i put tmp back.. I will just live with that one.  but having /usr/local/crashplan sym linked to somewhere under /c is fine by me and I won't have to worry at all about any of crashplan's caching, logs or other things.  I think it works either way.  Most of my other apps like plex and so forth all install under /c/.  I think crashplan should have also.

There is supposedly a way to edit the run.conf file under /usr/local/crashplan/run/run.conf, and you can add a -D option to specify an alternate tmp file location for java to use while running crashplan.  I tried it once, but didn't work and didn't have time to try further.

Djava.io.tmpdir=/c/tmp

Something like that.

Message 30 of 48
StephenB
Guru

There is supposedly a way to edit the run.conf file under /usr/local/crashplan/run/run.conf, and you can add a -D option to specify an alternate tmp file location for java to use while running crashplan.  I tried it once, but didn't work and didn't have time to try further.

Djava.io.tmpdir=/c/tmp

Something like that.

I tried that briefly when Crashplan ran out of memory a few months ago.  At least I set up a crashtmp folder on C.  But I must have undone it, because its not in run.conf.  I wasn't seeing many files there anyway - and the real issue was crashplan restarting all the time, and failing to back up.  Its resolved now (crashplan did take the support case even though I was running headless).

I see no risk to linking the main crashplan directory, and it also lets you look at the logs w/o needing ssh.

I suggest setting the retention for deleted files on CrashPlan central (instead of leaving it at the default "never").  Then try consolidating the archive to reduce the storage there.  Deduplication memory requirements scale with the archive, not with the local store.

I also set deduplication to minimal and compression off.  Not sure if that helps memory or not.  You can't go above ~3.5 GB for crashplan, no matter how much memory you have in the NAS - it only runs on the 32 bit jvm.

Message 31 of 48
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

I already put extra memory in my readynas just for crash plan and that eliminated any problems of running out of memory. The root partition filling up is a separate issue
Message 32 of 48
StephenB
Guru

I upgraded my memory also.

The Crashplan cache is 1-2 GB so it will fill up the OS partition.  But crashplan doesn't normally put stuff in \tmp.

Message 33 of 48
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

crashplan doesn't directly, but java does, which is used to run crashplan.  Java puts a tmp file of some kind into /tmp.   

but as I said earlier there is supposedly a way to edit /usr/local/crashplan/run/run.conf and you can assign an alternate standard tmp file location to be used when crashplan is launched through java.  

See this wki page about half way down under the section "waiting for backup"

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CrashPlan

But generally I think i agree, the big culprit here is the crashplan cache filling up the root partition very easily.  Though when I was looking into this, my /tmp dir was full with 1.3GB worth of junk of some kind also, so I would like to understand more about how to keep my /tmp file empty or run some kind of cron job that will routinely clean it out, but I'm not sure how to do that safely.

Message 34 of 48
StephenB
Guru

Right now I am seeing

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2124086 2012-07-23 21:54 AirVideoServerLinux.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 226 2010-10-29 16:35 airvideo.service
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14716 2010-05-06 02:08 bon_csv2html
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3623 2010-05-06 02:08 bon_csv2txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 47608 2010-05-06 02:07 bonnie++
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2 2010-05-06 09:37 coef.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 215111 2014-06-20 06:40 config.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9 2015-09-04 10:00 .dhcp_server
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1119723 2012-05-15 05:05 dl
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1104638 2012-05-15 05:10 dl2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2015-09-04 04:10 errors_004.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2015-09-04 05:10 errors_005.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2011-09-30 18:50 group.14830
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2014-01-07 19:10 group.31151
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2015-08-22 09:59 hsperfdata_root
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 37282632 2010-10-29 16:35 jre1.6.0_20.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 211 2011-02-09 16:24 readynas.properties
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 511 2010-05-06 02:06 rm-share.pl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4587 2010-06-30 14:27 run_bonnie.sh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53 2010-05-06 04:06 smb2.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 454 2010-05-06 04:06 smb.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7 2015-03-19 20:32 .update_from
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 19888 2010-05-06 02:07 zcav

I don't know where some of these files are coming from, but I don't see signicant space use.

Message 35 of 48
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

I'm glad for you.  mine was 1.3GB.  I deleted everything in there already so I can't tell you what it was.  But it was a lot of numbered stuff and could have been created by anythin

crashplan creates some kind of jna file when being launched with java, but its not clear to me now whether that was significant or something else was in my /tmp dir sucking space from root partition.

Its really unfortunate the readynas doesn't have some auto housekeeping job to keep /tmp cleared out because the root parition is really not that big.  At the very least, on startup it would be a good idea to empty it.

Message 36 of 48
StephenB
Guru

At the very least the UI should tell you how much space is used there.  It would be very helpful.

Message 37 of 48
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

especially for people who don't have SSH setup.  Not only should it tell how much space is used by /tmp, but provide a button that can clear it on next reboot or something of this nature.  Oh well...dreamin'

Message 38 of 48
nosstrannel
Aspirant

Hi!

I have the exact same problem with my ReadyNas Ultra 2 and created a ticket, 25880935.

I would really really appreciate som help from you 🙂

I cant connect to my ReadyNas with SSH anymore so I cant do just about anything about my problem...

Reinstalled OS, and now the volume settings shows nothing in the webinsterface (which is the only accessble service on the device...)

but I HOPE the data is still on the disks..

Thanks in advance!

Markus

Message 39 of 48
StephenB
Guru

@nosstrannel wrote:

Hi!

I have the exact same problem with my ReadyNas Ultra 2 and created a ticket, 25880935.

I would really really appreciate som help from you 🙂

The ultra is running crashplan???

Message 40 of 48
nosstrannel
Aspirant

Yes it is. It actually answers on port 4242 and 4243 and the admin-web gui but thats about all for now..

Has been running Crashplan for quite a long time actually. Maybe 2 years or so.

It is an Intel x86 ReadyNas

Best regards

Markus

Message 41 of 48
StephenB
Guru

Read through this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Crashplan-JRE-update-needed/td-p/985781

Netgear can clean up the OS partition remotely.  

Or if you google, you can find telnet instructions, mount the OS partition, and delete the 1*.* files/folders in /usr/local/crashplan/upgrade

Message 42 of 48
nosstrannel
Aspirant

Great info there!
I cant remember upgrading cralshplan on the Nas, but I definately think the OS partitin is full.
I didnt manage to find how to reach through via tech support mode before, almost seemed like some magical stuff absolutely only available to Netgear tech support but the guide you posted should make it for me I think ☺
Just have to find the telnet password, there was a video on youtube about tech support mode and a password flashed by in the video, have to test if that works.

Thank you so much for your time, will update wirh progress and perhaps some more questions 😉

Best regards
Markus
Message 43 of 48
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

I had this problem a few months ago. After installing crash plan. Two culprits filled up the Os partition. One was /tmp dir was full of stuff. The other was due to a crash plan cache dir and since crash plan is located on /usr/local, that filled up the Os partition which is not very big. I solved my problem with ssh by emptying /tmp and by moving /usr/local/crashplan to /c/.crashplan and I put a sym link from /usr/local/crashplan to there. Problem gone, crashplan works great on my ultra ever since. At some point I also upgraded ram on ultra by replacing the simm with a bigger one, as crashplan is also a memory hog.
Message 44 of 48
StephenB
Guru

@Dewdman42 wrote:
I had this problem a few months ago. After installing crash plan. Two culprits filled up the Os partition. One was /tmp dir was full of stuff. The other was due to a crash plan cache dir and since crash plan is located on /usr/local, that filled up the Os partition which is not very big. I solved my problem with ssh by emptying /tmp and by moving /usr/local/crashplan to /c/.crashplan and I put a sym link from /usr/local/crashplan to there. Problem gone, crashplan works great on my ultra ever since. At some point I also upgraded ram on ultra by replacing the simm with a bigger one, as crashplan is also a memory hog.

FWIW this particular failure could eventually fill the data partition also - crashplan keeps redownloading the failed update over and over. 

Everyone should move the cache (which can be done with a config change, and doesn't need a symlink). Mine is ~1.8 GB - IMO too much for the OS partition..

Moving everything to the c (or \data in the case of OS6) works as long as the RAID volume is healthy.  I chose not to do that myself.

Message 45 of 48
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Either way. But at least if cache is not on the OS partition then the system won't lock up
Message 46 of 48
StephenB
Guru

@Dewdman42 wrote:
Either way. But at least if cache is not on the OS partition then the system won't lock up

Truthfully it would with the 4.4.1 upgrade issue.  The files filling the OS partition are in /usr/local/crashplan/upgrade.

But I think that is a one-of bug, hopefully not a mistake they will repeat.

Message 47 of 48
nosstrannel
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your help!

The ReadyNas is now up and running.

First I deleted the upgrade-folders for crashplan.

Then I Moved the Crashplan folder to the datavolume and upgraded Java so that Crashplan could upgrade.

Hoping the Nas will stay running for a while 🙂

Best regards

Markus

Message 48 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements