× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS214 Hangup Reset Question

LarryMoberly
Aspirant

NAS214 Hangup Reset Question

Without searching arouind much yet I am throwing this out to see if any one has seen and understands a similar incident. This has happened sporadically the last month or so of use.

I am using the ReadyNAS214 as an ethernet connected server to my iMac and from time to time the connections are interrupted. Less often the ReadyNas totally hangs up and I've found no way to reset it other than unplugging it. The screen displays SMB2_toon+184 and as mentioned the system is totally unresponsive, unrecognized by RAIDar, finder or network. The power button does nothing. 

Has anyone seen anything like this. Thanks

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: NAS214 Hangup Reset Question

What firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 4
LarryMoberly
Aspirant

Firmware 6.9.4 updated fairly recently, I forget exactly but a week or two ago maybe.

I don't get any events in the NAS logs from these hangups. Would SMB.... indicate some issue with transferring data?  I've set up half a dozen scheduled backups in and out of the NAS. Some portion of these do not complete - source or destination cannot be mounted error - but often the backup will be ok the next time around.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

There is an issue with the NICs overheating in the RN214, but this was supposed to be fixed in 6.9.4 - so you shouldn't be seeing that.

If you are the original purchaser, you should be covered by the warranty, so you might want to contact support and see if an RMA is warranted.  However, I suggested PMing a netgear mod and asking if they could review your logs first.  That might uncover a different cause.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements