× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NIC teaming on rn314

NASty1
Aspirant

NIC teaming on rn314

It's unclear to me after reading netgears' instructions for teaming nic's..., do I need a switch, or will my r6300v2 router handle setting it as XOR w/ level 3 & 4 hashing?  I tried setting it up without a separate switch, but seemed to create havoc with my home network!  HELP!

Model: RN31441E|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: NIC teaming on rn314

@NASty1 wrote:

It's unclear to me after reading netgears' instructions for teaming nic's..., do I need a switch, or will my r6300v2 router handle setting it as XOR w/ level 3 & 4 hashing?  I tried setting it up without a separate switch, but seemed to create havoc with my home network!  HELP!

You need a managed switch that supports LACP in order to use the LACP bonding modes. Some higher-end Nighthawk routers also support it.

If you have a "smart" switch can be configured to do static LAGs you can use the round-robin option on the NAS..

If you have an unmanaged switch or a router w/o LACP, you can try using TLB and ALB.  They don't need special switch support, but they sometimes do create problems on the network.  If you notice something odd, you might need to turn it off.

Keep in mind that teaming generally has little performance benefit unless you have multiple simultaneous users.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@NASty1 wrote:

You need a managed switch that supports LACP in order to use the LACP bonding modes. Some higher-end Nighthawk routers also support it.

If you have a "smart" switch can be configured to do static LAGs you can use the round-robin option on the NAS..

If you have an unmanaged switch or a router w/o LACP, you can try using TLB and ALB.  They don't need special switch support, but they sometimes do create problems on the network.  If you notice something odd, you might need to turn it off.

Keep in mind that teaming generally has little performance benefit unless you have multiple simultaneous users.

Message 2 of 4
Hopchen
Prodigy

XOR requires configuration on the other side as well (router/switch). Not many home routers would support such a LAG.

Why are interested in doing a LAG? Is it for performance or for redundancy?

Message 3 of 4
NASty1
Aspirant

redundancy. t's working in tandem with an rn10200 (don't ask), and the rn10200 is much slower. Thanks for the reply, but I've decided against setting up the dual NIC's.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements