× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ NAS and iTunes and Time Machine

trolle
Aspirant

NV+ NAS and iTunes and Time Machine

Does anyone have their iTunes music library stored on their NAS?
Do you stream your music to your stereo using Airport Express?
Do you use Time Machine with regular backups?

Do you experience dropouts to your Airport Express as soon as Time Machine starts a backup?

I experience a dropout every time Time Machine starts. On the Airport Express the light goes from green to orange for about 45 seconds and then back to green. I can tell iTunes to restart playing, but sometimes that does not work.

Is anyone experience the same thing? Any solutions?
Message 1 of 2
btaroli
Prodigy

Re: NV+ NAS and iTunes and Time Machine

Yeah, I had similar issues with multiple workloads. Bottom line is (a) Time Machine (or any large data transfer) is going to hit the NV+ hard and (b) with a less powerful single-core CPU you may have to be careful about tuning if you want to successfully handle all these jobs in one place. In particular, I made regular use of process priorities to keep Time Machine, streaming, and Transmission from stepping on each other. There are trade offs of course.

Ultimately, though, I'd recommend you'd have a more hassle-free experience of you went with one of the multiple core Intel CPU models. I finally upgraded to a Pro 6 (diskless) and /love/ it.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements