× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ - bad disk->Kernel Panic->Bad Firmware

Zone99
Aspirant

NV+ - bad disk->Kernel Panic->Bad Firmware

Hi,

Adding to other posts here about bad disks to kernel panics, I have a ReadyNAS NV+ v1 with 3 1TB drives in it. It's been working great for several years, no issues, no problems.

Yesterday, I went down to the basement where I keep my NAS to hear it going "grind, grind, grind" with Disk 1 light blinking away. I powered it down and pulled out disk 1 and got a kernel panic on boot.

Searching through the forums, I tried a memory test (now on my second try) but after that I was getting "bad firmware".

I then grabbed a 500GB drive and popped it in after pulling all the other drives (and labeling them). It booted up but said there were no shares which makes sense given it was a brand new drive.

Put the old drives back in and got the kernel panic again so I'm now running another memory test.

Looking for other suggestions to try? Disk 1 is definitely bad so I can't see leaving it in and trying booting 1 and 3. Booting 2 and 3 gets a kernel panic.

Take them out and put them into Knoppix and see if I can mount them?

Any other 'recipes' to try?
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: NV+ - bad disk->Kernel Panic->Bad Firmware

You can mount them in an x86 linux system. Here's a link: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306
Message 2 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Were you using X-RAID or Flex-RAID?
Message 3 of 12
Zone99
Aspirant

I'm going to say X-RAID. I set them up a while ago.

So here's the latest (which I think you may already be up to speed on).

Drive 3: toast
Drive 2: Attempted to mount in Linux (Ubuntu 14.04.2)via http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306 and no volume shows up
Drive 1: Attempted to mount in Linux (same version) and here's a fun one:
    - in a USB dock connected to an Ubuntu VM running on my Mac, vgscan sees it but vgchange won't work with it without --partial.

- tried --partial and it seems to do something but then just hangs. I don't know if vgchange just takes a while?

- In the USB dock, the Ubuntu VM actually shows it as a 2.1GB volume. I'm not sure if that's just because of the VM or what.

Drive 1: When attempting to mount to a physical Ubuntu box:
    -This generally forces grub to come up and I select boot Ubuntu

-System comes up. The same drive that shows up in the USB dock isn't recognized by Linux

-More interesting is that Drive 2, in this physical system, shows up in the BIOS, Drive 1 does not

What a nice mess.

Follow up questions:
    -Can Netgear do anything? I can't tell if they actually have a service for this?

-Any recommendations on outside companies to look. So far I have quotes ranging from:$300 for initial diag and $2500 for recovery to free initial diag and $199 to $5900 for recovery

Finally, is it worth it to get another ReadyNAS and try moving the drives over??

*sigh* Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Netgear does have a recovery service, you can contact support (support.netgear.com) and get a quote. I don't know if that is structured as an individual recovery or not.

It could be that they can resolve the kernel panic, which would eliminate the need for recovery.
Message 5 of 12
Zone99
Aspirant

So, adding an update for those interested, future searches, etc:

I put in a spare 500GB drive and the NV+ seems to boot up OK although the front panel shows 461/462G free, the web management app says "0 free space" and I can't seem to access the default volumes or create one.

I was going to try an OS reinstall/factory reset but I'm not sure what that does to my OTHER drives (the current bad ones). This just gets more and more fun. 😛
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Are you saying you added the spare drive to the existing array? Replaced a drive in the existing array with the spare? I don't think either was a good idea.

A factory reset destroys your data (and add-ons, configuration, etc).

An OS reinstall wouldn't do that - it reinstalls portions of the OS, resets the network config to use DHCP, and resets the password back to the default (netgear1). But if you really want to get the data off, you should contact netgear for a quote before fiddling further.
Message 7 of 12
Zone99
Aspirant

Sorry Stephen. I should have been more clear.

I pulled all three drives, labeled them and set them aside. I then put in a brand new drive. There's something up with that drive because it won't create a volume.

So, I took it out and put in a brand new 1TB drive, and only that drive, and did the OS reinstall. That drive works.

I also, based on your advice, sent an email to support for help. I tried chat but the chat agent won't recognize the serial number.

So, next steps: clone the two drives using the knoppix Linux instructions, get in touch with netgear support and, if all else fails, there's a drive recovery service I've contacted to see what they can do. I may try Reclaime on the clones.

I do have to take a moment and say "thanks" for your advice. You've been great!
Message 8 of 12
Zone99
Aspirant

Update for future searches/people with the same problem/just for grins....

I took two new WD 1TB drives and put them one in the NAS. I then reinstalled the OS (since the NAS wouldn't recognize the drive) and got the volume up. Copied a couple of files over and then inserted the second drive and waited for it to sync.
I took both of them out and dropped WDdrive1 into a USB dock and was able to mount in Ubuntu... so THAT'S what that looks like when it's successful!

OldDrive 2:
- booted up Knoppix and used dd_rescue to clone OldDrive 2 to WDdrive2. Appears to have worked from what I can tell. It says it was successful but I'm not sure how I can tell.
- put both drives into a USB drive and booted up Ubuntu in a VM. Both are seen by Ubuntu and both say 'no valid partition table' when I do an fdisk -l. I'm assuming this means it's a parity disk
- set both aside

OldDrive1
- booted up Knoppix to use dd_rescue on OldDrive1. Unfortunately, OldDrive1 isn't seen by the BIOS so it's not seen by Knoppix
- dropped it into a USB dock connected to Ubuntu and it's recognized (as a 2.1GB volume, but it sees it).
- tried to vgscan and vgchange and I get an error telling me to try '--partial'. That seems not to finish.
- dd_rescue isn't on Ubuntu so I apt-get install gddrescue
- Ran from source to destination. It did something...really fast. A lot faster than it should have according to my reading. I will have to go back and read through the man pages again but I do get a log file out of it.

OldDrive1 is giving me fits. I've tried two different machines, one with Knoppix and Ubuntu and a Windows machine. The Knoppix/Ubuntu machine hangs for 35 seconds (BIOS setting) on boot and the drive isn't seen. The Windows machine at least sees it in the BIOS setting but hangs on boot. Bottom line, I never get into Windows with the drive recognized to run Seatools (it's a Seagate Barracuda on the HCL list).

Odd, though, that it's seen in the Ubuntu Windows VM with the USB dock. Now trying the USB dock in Windows to see if it's seen.

Oh, by the way, my wife is ready to kill me as I've turned the office into a small lab. I have two PCs opened up and running, my Mac, 3 monitors, a Macbook Pro and the NAS (sometimes with, sometimes without drives).

Next major steps:

- Read up on Reclaime which seems to have miracle powers
- Call Netgear although they've already responded to one email and see if they can do anything
- There's a data rescue company one town over that will tell me if there's anything recoverable for no cost - take it to them and see what they come up with
Message 9 of 12
Zone99
Aspirant

And, what I think is the final update:

Grabbed the demo copy of R-Studio.

Interesting program. I let it run on my clone of disk 2 and was amazed to see files. I checked out some of the pictures it found and I can definitely recognize the pics but they are only showing about 1/20th of the picture. The rest is greyed out. I'm assuming that's because it's a single drive in the RAID.

I popped in my disk 1 and tried to run R-Studio. I got 'R-Studio cannot reconstruct the file system'.

So, Drive 1 - cannot reconstruct the file system, Drive 2 seems to be good, Drive 3 seems to go 'grind, grind, grind'.

There's a data recovery company that does a free analysis in the next town over. I'll let them take a shot at it but I think it's a lost cause.

Any other suggestions or help are welcome.

Thanks.
Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

You definitely need disk-1 and disk-2 available simultaneously to recover the data.
Message 11 of 12
bluez3
Aspirant

any conclusion to this saga?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements