× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ not going into the boot options

howie777
Aspirant

NV+ not going into the boot options

Is there any known tricks for getting an NV+ into the boot menu?  I'm trying to do a USB os install due to an OS Index error but maybe once in every 100+ tries the NAS won't go into the boot menu.  It just powers up as if you released the power button.  I'm trying this mulitple times due with various hard drives and usb sticks but this is getting silly.

When I power up normally I get LED 1 and 3 on solid and the LCD stays dark.  When I press and hold the power button (until LED 1 and 3 light up, aprox 7 seconds), 99.9% of the time the same thing happens.  0.1% of th time I get the LCD to light up and boot options appear.

I have a couple HDDs and a couple USB sticks and I have only gotton to try a couple combinations.

Not sure this is worth my time as this device has never really worked well for me 😞  But I miss it all the same....  🙂

Howie

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
howie777
Aspirant

Re: NV+ not going into the boot options

This morning I fired up the NAS and it did go into the boot menu but this time the LCD was dark and letting go of the power switch had no effect. It just kept cycling though the options (all disk LEDs blink every 5 secs). I tried a few more times and back to the old issue of not going into boot options.

I'm officially calling this NAS dead. 😭. Even if I recovered it, there would be no confidence in it lasting long so it's just not worth it.

Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it. Time to start looking for a new one.

Howie

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 26

All Replies
vandermerwe
Master

You definitely have a NV+ v1?

http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

What instructions are you using for accessing the boot menu?  It doesn't sound like you are doing it correctly.  See here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24874/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDM4NTQxNzgzL3NpZC92SlRT...

what instructions and image are you using for the USB boot?

Message 2 of 26
howie777
Aspirant

I have the NV+ v1 (SPARC).  It has INFRANT printed on one of the PCBs and RND4000 v3 as a model number.  

I am following the instructions from your link.  I'm tyring the RreadyNAS_USB_Flash_Recovery-4.1.12.img

To perform a skip volume check, tech support mode, memory test, TFTP boot, or USB boot:

1. Power off your system.
  2. Press and hold the Power button until all Disk LEDs flash the correct number of times, and then release the button. Check the table below for reference.

Systems with an LCD (NV+ v1) will also display the boot menu item text on the LCD at each stage."

1)  above I have to pull the power cable to the unit as I cannot get it to turn off by any other means.

2)  Most of the time, the Disk LEDs will not flash at all.  And after 7 seconds, LEDs 1 and 3 go on solid.  When I get lucky, the LCD lights up with the boot options and I can select USB boot but so far all I every get is "OS Index Error"

I should note that the other way to boot, by holding reset and after 5 seconds you get one option and 25 you get factory reset, that seems to work every time, but nothing works and I'm left with LEDs 1 and 3 on.

As I said, I can get into the menu but it takes 30- 40 mins of trying to get the system to respond to a power up and realize the power button is continously pressed.  Normally it doesn't think it is.  I'm starting to think this guy is a lost cause and I may need to look for a new one.

Howie

Message 3 of 26
vandermerwe
Master

Does the unit power on straight away or is there a delay?

Have you done a factory default with a known good disk in the nas, do you still get a firmware error?

Where did you get the nas?

When you do get the option for the USB boot, what happens then, have you not done it?

What firmware image are you using?

Message 4 of 26
howie777
Aspirant

I just grabbed a 3rd disk with a clean format and it works fine on my latop.  It is now the only disk I'm using to test as the other two don't seem to work with my laptop so I'm assumiung they are toast.

Unit powers up right away with the power button LED blinking for 7 seconds, followed by LEDs 1 and 3 on solid.

Factory reset doesnt do anything, it just ends up with LEDs 1 and 3 on solid, no LCD display during the entire boot.  But it does blink the 4 LEDs at 5 seconds and 25 seconds after power up so I know its at least doing something like it should.

Years and years ago from newegg I think.  I believe I purchased it around the time the NV+ v2 was released as I was mad I got a sparc instead of x86 version.  Warrenty long gone and I have taken it apeart to clean out the dust and look for damage but all looks OK.

When I do USB boot, it does some things like init USB then hits me with the OS Index error.

I can't remember which version of firmware.  I think it was the latest available as of a couple months ago.  I know it was a higher version than the USB recovery image I found. Is there a link to where the lastest USB recovery image is located.  I only found direct links to 4.1.12

Message 5 of 26
vandermerwe
Master

Not good.  I wonder if there is a problem with the bios.

When you can access the boot menu options are you able to engage tech support mode?

Can you first power off, rremove the power cable, love it for 5 minutes then try the boot menu access again.

Can you try a different USB disk and this image:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21400/~/how-can-i-perform-a-boot-recovery-using-a-usb-...

Its 4.1.8, a smaller image, which may work.

Message 6 of 26
howie777
Aspirant

I'll give then 4.1.8 a shot after 4.1.14 which I found but at the rate I actually get the menu to work it maybe a while.  It seems to be even harder now.  I think this is probably a lost cause but I don't wnat to admit defeat just yet.

Thanks for the help.  I'll update this in the next couple days or when I get some results

Message 7 of 26
vandermerwe
Master

If you can get the unit into tech support mode, leave it like that and post here. Don't put the tech support code in your post though. 

Message 8 of 26
howie777
Aspirant

Just tried again and was able to get the boot menu up.  Choose Tech Support and now it says "Please wait..."

I'lll leave it be and see if anything happens in a bit.  

Thanks,

Message 9 of 26
vandermerwe
Master

Is the nas connected to the Internet?

If tech support works, there may be someone here who will take a look later.

Message 10 of 26
howie777
Aspirant

Its been 30 mins and stlll says Please wait.   it is connected to the interwebs

Message 11 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you power down, remove the disks (label order) and then try booting it into tech support mode again does it boot into that mode successfully?

Message 12 of 26
howie777
Aspirant

Ill let you know but I left it for 2 hours and it still said please wait.  Now I can't seem to get it to go into the boot options again after 30 tries.  

I have noticed that sometimes the unit will power up and then shut down in maybe 300-400ms after pressing the power button.  I'm wondering if the power supply is going and now has a voltage dip when I power up causing it to loose the button status.  No idea if that is possible with this design, but I have noticed the LEDs (Disk) will flash very quicky when I power on then go away and it isn't a consistent amount of time but always very short (< 1/2 second).  

I'll update this post when I finally get the menu to show up again and I'll try tech support again.  This time without HDDs

Message 13 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It could well be that you have a failing PSU. That is certainly a possibility.

Message 14 of 26
howie777
Aspirant

This morning I fired up the NAS and it did go into the boot menu but this time the LCD was dark and letting go of the power switch had no effect. It just kept cycling though the options (all disk LEDs blink every 5 secs). I tried a few more times and back to the old issue of not going into boot options.

I'm officially calling this NAS dead. 😭. Even if I recovered it, there would be no confidence in it lasting long so it's just not worth it.

Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it. Time to start looking for a new one.

Howie
Message 15 of 26
Painkiller
Aspirant

Dear Howie777 when a unit doesn't function the way it is designed for and you see erratic behavier then its either a logic board fault and or psu issue. Sme of the answers given are not forwarding you any solutions. Find a program to recover the data in raid sequence ,making sure you try the exact order the drives were placed in the nas. When a client complains it means its serious. Then purchase a new unit

Message 16 of 26
vandermerwe
Master

Painkiller, OP did not ask how to get data off the disks, he asked how to get his nas working again.  In order to come up with a solution to this one needs to diagnose the problem first.

Message 17 of 26
vandermerwe
Master

howie777

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Service-Action-to-Prevent-PSU-Failures-in-Ready...

Have you you read that post?

its possible you may be able to get a new psu.

Message 18 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@vandermerwe wrote:

howie777

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Service-Action-to-Prevent-PSU-Failures-in-Ready...

Have you you read that post?

its possible you may be able to get a new psu.

And some are still covered by the 5 year warranty, so if you are the original purchaser you might also want to check the warranty status.

Message 19 of 26
howie777
Aspirant

I'll check just for grins but honestly this NAS was always less than impressive. Lots of times I had to start all over due to various issues, time machine never really worked well ( constantly determining the backups needed to be purged and redone) and remote access never worked for me. Now it's just a toy which isn't worth much more of my time. Newer and better options are out there. Also I'm pretty sure it's over 5 years old.

FYI all my data has long since been lost or stored elsewhere.

Howie.
Message 20 of 26
StephenB
Guru

My NV+ is still in service as a backup NAS (and I did get a replacement PSU a few months ago). 

I wouldn't have invested much time or money in getting my NV+ back in service though.  There are certainly newer and better options out there. 

Message 21 of 26
vandermerwe
Master

Absolutely.  I think it is a bit of an interesting challenge to try to get these old units working again.  I've certainly seen some units, where I have been convinced it is going to end up being declared bricked, being revived by a certain Readynas expert.  

Agree that efforts should be limited to those that are free.

Message 22 of 26
Painkiller
Aspirant

Vandernwerwe. I have read many posts in this forum. I gave Howie777 an honest solution. One message was all it took. I didnt tell him to reseat ram or to use a usb recovery and or OS reinstall. Save his data and move on .As if a unit needs this much attention though honestly i used to use these units for clients but now i dont . Not worth time and money,Ps it was not personal it was a solution
Message 23 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Painkiller wrote:
Vandernwerwe. I have read many posts in this forum. I gave Howie777 an honest solution. One message was all it took. I didnt tell him to reseat ram or to use a usb recovery and or OS reinstall. Save his data and move on .As if a unit needs this much attention though honestly i used to use these units for clients but now i dont . Not worth time and money,Ps it was not personal it was a solution

Surprisingly enough, people often do want to resurrect these units, and sometimes reseating RAM, USB recovery, and OS reinstall allow that to be accomplished.  

In this case Vandermerwe (and others) were willing to participate in the engineering project as long as Howie777 was interested, but no one suggested that it was worth spending a lot of money on.  

I don't think there's any real disagreement here, so let's just move on.

Message 24 of 26
howie777
Aspirant

I'm an engineer by trade.  I find it fun to tinker with this stuff.  The amusement factor is what makes it worth it to me.

By the way, my serial number is a combination of numbers and letters, Not hex, letters like RT and starts with 215.  I'm guessing this means no new power supply for me.

Every couple days I try to get it to tech support again but so far when I get the menu to work (after long periods without power code plugged in) it seems to do the boot mode options but the LCD is dark so I have no idea what is going on.

Howie

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements