× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NV+ v1 'Vol C is dead' 2nd HDD died during replacement of 3rd drive

rdonalds
Aspirant

NV+ v1 'Vol C is dead' 2nd HDD died during replacement of 3rd drive

Hi everyone,

The problem: I have a 'Vol C is dead' message on my NV+ I was replacing disk 3 that was showing SMART errors but it's a working drive when disk 2 had a head crash/ bearing go either way sounds crunchy. So the drive was heating up so I shut it down added the drive 3 back in place and pulled drive 2. Now I boot I get the 'Vol C is dead'

Hardware: ReadyNAS NV+ v1 with 4 1.5TB (seagate st31500341as) X-RAID

Backup status: was in progress to an external USB HDD, of the 4114GB on the NAS I had ~60GB to finish a complete backup.

The goal: get the last 60GB

On the front: All 4 HDD LEDs are off Activity LED off and blue light is on LCD Alternates between messages: '0/1 GB' and 'Vol C is dead'

RAIDar: can see the NAS and shows all 4 drives are 1,3,4 are green (2 is pulled) all other stats are green but I can't navigate to the admin IP address.

Currently it's powered off until I can find out a plan to get it functional.

Please can anyone advise?
Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NV+ v1 'Vol C is dead' 2nd HDD died during replacement of 3rd drive

Hi rdonalds,

It would be best that you contact Netgear Support: http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/ - they are open 24/7 even on holidays and weekends.

Just to set your expectation, a data recovery contract might be offered unto you.  

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements