× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ v1 doesn't boot after an attempt for Firmware update:

NYHAMMER
Aspirant

NV+ v1 doesn't boot after an attempt for Firmware update:

Tried to update the firmware to 4.1.14.

1. First from web UI from remote.

After some time it gave the message "ERROR writing” or something like that.

I rebooted. It seems to be fine.

1. Downloaded the 4.1.14 image to my PC and tried to upload it to ReadyNas NV+. After some time it asked me to reboot in order to upgrade. Went to reboot options in Web UI, selected power down and reboot and clicked apply.

Nothing happened.

Try to reboot manually with power button. It did shut down, which took very long time comparing to the normal and never booted up again.

The symptoms are:

If I try to boot normally it displays checking quotes from 1% to 100% and while doing this it's visible in Raidar with status System starting. Then it goes to displaying only "BOOTING” on LCD with all 4 disk lights are on, activity light is off and power light slowly blinking.

If I try to boor with option "skip volume check" it shows Disk 4 sync for about an hour during which I can see it with the same status in RAIDar, with all 4 disk lights on, activity light blinking and power light slowly blinking and then ends up in the same state as with normal boot above.
And I can boot it in Tech support Mode. It will display a number I am not supposed to post here, but it is working.

I think firmware either on the disks or in the FLASH is corrupted.

So what are my options now?
I think I need to do System reinstall or USB recovery.

Which one I supposed to try first?

If it's OS reinstall what else except user/password to default and network setting will be lost from my current configuration?

The same question applies to USB recovery. What would be lost in this case?

From what I understand both methods will keep my volume, shares and data, which is my ultimate goal is.

Thanks

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
NYHAMMER
Aspirant

Re: NV+ v1 doesn't boot after an attempt for Firmware update:

Thanks everybody.

I did OS reinstall, it fixed the boot problem and I was able to boot normally without a problem.

However the update didn't happen. the system was still at 4.1.13.

And system partition was full.

I cleaned it, by deleting some logs.

restarted and now it's down to 23%.

Then I was able to update firmware to 4.1.14 without a problem.

So it's resolved, thanks

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
vandermerwe
Master

I don't think you should be doing a Usb boot recovery, and I don't think an OS reinstall will help here.

This sounds like a full OS partition, however there are other possibilities, like a bad disk.

Do you have a backup?

Have you received any email messages from the nas about disk errors?

Can you power down and test all the disks using vendor tools, what disks are in the nas?  These long tests can take a long time. 

You say you have been able to access tech support mode, there may be someone on the forum who may offer to take a look as a courtesy, but failing that you could ask Netgear support who would take a look for a fee of course.  If it is a full OS partition , it is easy to fix remotely.

Message 2 of 15
NYHAMMER
Aspirant

1. No back up.

2. I tested the drives with vendor tools. No problems found.

3. No emails from NV+ about the drive problems.

4. I rebooted few times recently without any problems recently. as a day ago. The only problem started after I tried to upgrade.

I have spare disk to try to set up a new system and see first if it works in general, second what firmware is installed in flash.

From what I read the situation similar to mine is when the flash firmware is older then HDD firmware. If it's the case I assume the update process updated the HDDs but not flash. In that case if I do USB recovery to the latest firmware, and then system reinstall (flash->HDDs) I will get the system back to working condition without the date loss.

Message 3 of 15
vandermerwe
Master

Where did you read this? I don't see how doing a firmware upgrade would have upgraded only the disk and not the flash.  

The OS partition can fill up and cause all sorts of problems.  It often comes to light during an attempt at a firmware upgrade because there isn't enough space.  

You certainly need to have the OS partition checked if this is possible, the USB boot recovery should really be a last resort and only if it is suspected that the flash firmware is corrupt. 

You can certainly try the setup with spare disk. If the OS partition on the disks is full, you will still be stuck.  An OS reinstall does not fix this problem.  If you had a backup you could factory default the unit which would of course fix the problem.

My advice is to wait a few hours here and see if you are offered any assistance.  Most users with this issue (if I'm correct) are.

Message 4 of 15
NYHAMMER
Aspirant

First of all thanks for your help!

What I read is here

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=173

"Step 2.) A USB boot recovery was performed to put firmware version 3.01c1-p6 on flash.  An OS reinstall has not been performed leaving firmware version 4.01c1-p2 is still on HD’s.  The ReadyNAS unit does not complete boot and LCD screen stops at “booting…” and stays there indefinitely. The ReadyNAS does not request IP and Raidar is unable to find the ReadyNAS.  The ReadyNAS will not shutdown using power button.  It seems, this is the only status where the ReadyNAS will not respond to shutdown request using the power button."

this is exactly like my unit behaves. Power button dosnt do anything once it gets in this mode.

I know other reasons probably could cause the same behaviour may be OS partition being full is one of them.

The rest is my assumption, like it seems I interapted the upgrade process in the middle, and I have no idea how that process works, so I assumed it first updated HDD with new system (OS partition) then writes this new firmware into flash.

But again, it's all my speculation.

Of course I will wait as long as neccesary for someone to offer me help with this issue, you said if it's a full OS partition case it's an esay remote fix.

Can you give mo details? I can try to telnet/ssh to the system in tech support mode and hopefully fix it? Or at least soo if full OS partition is really the case?

Thanks a lot again

P.S.

I actually found some info on that.

I guess first I have to mount that partition:

# /bin/start_raid.sh
# mount /dev/hdc1 /sysroot

after that

# df -h

and see what's up? If there are large files taking the space such as log files I can probably rem those and tried to reboot again.

Now when I think about it yes, you should be right, sometimes within last few days I had witnessed two symptoms:

1. even my ReadyDLNA service was running when I tried to access it from the TV it failed. I tried to rescan the media files but had the same problem.

2. Sometimes there were "no logs" in web UI even though I didn't clear those and the logs should be there since I started/stopped ReadyDLNA, started the scan etc.

Message 5 of 15
vandermerwe
Master

Yes that is right.

i am not sure about how to mount the volume in telnet mode, but yes that is what you need to do and:

df -h
df -i

This will tell you if it is a full OS partition, and yes, deleting log files is usually what is required.  There is a possibility that there are other things wrong after attempts at OS upgrade which is why I would defer to someone with more expertise to look at your system remotely.

Message 6 of 15
NYHAMMER
Aspirant

Now the unit is in Tech Support mode and is shown in Raidar as such.

With IP and Debug code.

But I can't telnet to it. I cant even ping it ...

Am I right when I assume that in Tech Suport Mode I should be able to telnet to it?

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Are you getting any response at all from telnet?

Message 8 of 15
NYHAMMER
Aspirant

in the very first minute it was up I tried to telnet to it but it said "System Refused connection"

Now it's always connection timeout

telnet> o 192.168.100.123
Trying 192.168.100.123...
telnet: connect to address 192.168.100.123: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
telnet>

Message 9 of 15
vandermerwe
Master

I don't know if the Netegar tech support mode requires a proprietary method of connection.  I usually use ssh but of course that does require the unit to be booted. I've never tried to connect to tech support mode.  I did read about it and I seem to remember it is not a generic process.

Are you connecting from within your LAN?

I would wait for advice from someone from Netgear.

Message 10 of 15
NYHAMMER
Aspirant

Yes, I am connecting from the PC on my LAN. The same PC where I run Raidar which can see the unit in Tech Support Mode.

But disturbing thing is it's not even pingable so of course telnet would not work ...

I have read somehwere it opens a tunnel to Netgear but it's another story, and btw the same place also states it should be acceceble by telnet ...

I would gladly wait for somebody from telnet if I knew how to reach to them ...

I have read also they don't support discontinued devices like mine ...

I will try to give htem a call now to see what my options are.

P.S. Just in case reinstalling OS from flash to volume should not do me any harm anyway? At least I may be able to boot and then use telnet/ssh to clean up system partition ...

Message 11 of 15
vandermerwe
Master

OS reinstall is usually harmless and I guess in your situation it is very unlikely to make things worse.

OS reinstall does not felt the data volume.

Make sure you do not do a factory default

Message 12 of 15
NYHAMMER
Aspirant

Will OS reinstall disable my SSH access?

and remove all services/addons?

Message 13 of 15
vandermerwe
Master

@NYHAMMER wrote:

Will OS reinstall disable my SSH access?

and remove all services/addons?

No.  It will reset your admin password, and it will change your network settings to dhcp.

Note the default password for the v1 is netgear1

Message 14 of 15
NYHAMMER
Aspirant

Thanks everybody.

I did OS reinstall, it fixed the boot problem and I was able to boot normally without a problem.

However the update didn't happen. the system was still at 4.1.13.

And system partition was full.

I cleaned it, by deleting some logs.

restarted and now it's down to 23%.

Then I was able to update firmware to 4.1.14 without a problem.

So it's resolved, thanks

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements