× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nas Duo RND2150

TimCD
Aspirant

Nas Duo RND2150

I have an older Nas Duo, it was working fine and then suddenly was not accessible. I’m pretty sure I lost both drives, my fault, it had stopped e mailing me status and I had not been checking it. I’m sure it lost one drive followed by the second later. I did try to reboot and all I get is the blue flashing light, no drive lights. I pulled the drives and looked at them using a Linux box. One drive spins up and shows all as unallocated space. The other has what I think is the Linux structure on it, and there are shortcuts to the folders I had, but when I try to access the shortcuts, it says the directory is not valid. If I look at the folder it points to, nothing is in it.

Am I screwed as far as getting any data back?

Thanks,

Tim

Model: ReadyNAS RND2150|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The part number is RND4TRAY1-10000S, which might help googling.  They are hard to find. Newer trays have a square latch button, the older design with the circular button tended to jam.  Both will work.

Trays for the NV+, Duo, Ultra, and Pro desktop NAS are all interchangeable.  OS 6 NAS use a different tray design, as do rackmount ReadyNAS.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You might not have mounted the C volume correctly.

There are instructions here: http://jim-st.blogspot.com/2012/07/mouning-readynas-drives-on-x86-systems.html

Message 2 of 8
TimCD
Aspirant

Thanks for info. I thought it was going to work, but the drive seems to be bad. I have it in a dock and the dock starts beeping and sounding error beeps for bad drive. I can look into some folders, others causes the thing to go nuts. As you can see from the attached, it isn't able to get into the C. It looked like is was going to work, but I think it just can't read the drive. 

Thanks,

Tim

Model: ReadyNAS RND2150|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you have a windows PC, try testing the second drive with the vendor diagnostic (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).  If the drive is healthy, the NAS should boot up with only that drive in place (in the original slot if you remember it).

You could try cloning one of the disks if it is marginal, but I suspect it's too late for that with the disk you are working on now.

Message 4 of 8
TimCD
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll give your suggestions a try.

Tim

Model: RND2150v1|READYNAS DUO v1|EOL
Message 5 of 8
TimCD
Aspirant

Brilliant, it booted with just the one drive, I guess it's the parity drive. It's the one I could not see any files on when connected to my Linux box. The other dirve I could see the file structure, but it was very corrupt and I could not mount the C drive as instructed, or access it without the dock it was in beebing a death code.

It looks like I will be able to recover my files. I had some backups, but there was a lot on the NAS that I wasn't sure I had backed up. I better do a better job of backing up. 

I'm copying the files now before I install a new drive and let it rebuild. 

One thing, do you know if I can get new drive bays. When I opened them, the little plastic catches broke. It is pretty old, but it would be nice to keep using it.

Thanks for the help! 

Cheers,

Tim

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

The part number is RND4TRAY1-10000S, which might help googling.  They are hard to find. Newer trays have a square latch button, the older design with the circular button tended to jam.  Both will work.

Trays for the NV+, Duo, Ultra, and Pro desktop NAS are all interchangeable.  OS 6 NAS use a different tray design, as do rackmount ReadyNAS.

Message 7 of 8
TimCD
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen,

You were a big help. I was about to give up, but you kept me going with your advice. I'm coping all the files off the NAS and it is going well. It would have been a bit of a loss if I could not have recovered them, so I than you very much. I will close this out now. 

Cheers,

Tim

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements