× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New NAS Long Re-Synch

creesy
Aspirant

New NAS Long Re-Synch

I just booted up my new RN104 with 3 disks (3TB Each) turned it on updated the firmware (Had issues wouldnt boot had to do USB recovery)

2 of the Disks were used one was brand new all are the same make and model and size.  Is it normal for the first resynch on empty drives to take a really long time it has dont 23% so far and is reporting that it has just over 24 hours to go.

Does that sound normal? ive never used a nas before.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
meverz
Apprentice

Re: New NAS Long Re-Synch

Yeah, that sounds perfectly normal. I think from memory my initial resync on my RN104 took about the same time. It makes no difference whether the drives are empty or full. The Sync is done at the block level, so it still takes a while even with empty disks. The main limiting factor is the low powered chip, which makes the device cheaper (and use less power), but also means resyncs take longer.

Message 2 of 5
creesy
Aspirant

thanks...Oh good i thought one of the drives were faulty becuase the 2 used drives have done like 18000hrs up time.  Gonna replace the old drives with new ones in the coming months to be safe incase they both decide to fail at the same time.

Guess im just impatient it it ok to use the drive or am i better off just waiting?

Message 3 of 5
meverz
Apprentice

You can use the NAS while you wait for it to sync. However, it will make everything (the write speed and the sync) slower, and you want have the benefit of reduncancy until it has finished syncing anyway. So it is usually best to wait till it is finished syncing, and then copy your data across.

Message 4 of 5
MarcusF
Admin

Yes there will be performance hit if try copy in data while sync finishes but with OS 6 one of the advantages is redundancy will happen during intial sync. It will ensure that data written to array is striped and redundant.

This is only true during initial sync. Sync during expansion or rebuild later does not have sam functioanlity because the data is already in place.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements