× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New NV+ power supply - ok to cut off non-essential peripheral connecting wires?

ScuseMe1
Aspirant

New NV+ power supply - ok to cut off non-essential peripheral connecting wires?

Hi,

Last night I completed the replacement of my old NV+ V1 power supply (RND4PSU1-10000S) with a new one. The installation went fine and my NV+ is back up and running again.

The only thing I didn't like about the new power supply is the presence of several connecting wires for accessories that are not on the NV+, such as 3 SATA, 2 Molex and 1 FDD. These are bundled separately from the main NV+ connector/wires and are not used at all. I had to use a great amount of ingenuity with plastic ties to bind these unused connections and cram them into the new power supply's fan compartment without reducing the air flow much.

After I had the new power supply installed and working, I thought that maybe I could snip off those unused wires where they exit the power supply housing. This would eliminate an airflow restriction to the new power supply's fan and increase airflow to the power supply's internal components quite a bit. Since these 6 unused connectors are not attached to anything in my NV+, I don't see any problem with cutting them. Of course with my luck, it'll turn into a catastrophy and ruin my new $124 power supply.

Has anyone bought a 3rd party NV+ power supply from eBay, etc. then cut off the extraneous wires? I really don't want to take apart the new power supply to unplug the wires (if they can be unplugged at all) when one snip will do the trick.

Thanks.

Mike

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ScuseMe1
Aspirant

Re: New NV+ power supply - ok to cut off non-essential peripheral connecting wires?

I contacted Jon today over at. where they make the power supply. He said it's ok to cut off the extraneous leads. Just remember not to short out like colors, which may damage the PSU. As to your warranty, he will honor my warranty even if I cut the wires, but from the way he spoke this may be on a case-to-case basis, so it's best to inquire with them first*
* is am giving this info without receiving any money in return, so I can't guarantee that this hack won't be detrimental to your PS, nor void your warranty. It's best to contact Overtek_Ltd in Great Britain to see what your options are.

Michael

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ScuseMe1,

Haven't used a 3rd party PSU from Ebay or other resellers and I won't recommend cutting out its unnecessary wires. Let's hear from other community members maybe they have used one.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 2 of 5
ScuseMe1
Aspirant

I contacted Jon today over at. where they make the power supply. He said it's ok to cut off the extraneous leads. Just remember not to short out like colors, which may damage the PSU. As to your warranty, he will honor my warranty even if I cut the wires, but from the way he spoke this may be on a case-to-case basis, so it's best to inquire with them first*
* is am giving this info without receiving any money in return, so I can't guarantee that this hack won't be detrimental to your PS, nor void your warranty. It's best to contact Overtek_Ltd in Great Britain to see what your options are.

Michael
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@ScuseMe1 wrote:
I contacted Jon today over at. where they make the power supply. He said it's ok to cut off the extraneous leads. Just remember not to short out like colors, which may damage the PSU. ...

Don't leave any bare wire exposed.  A little heat-shrink tubing will work nicely.  Or use electrical tape or wire nuts.

Message 4 of 5
ScuseMe1
Aspirant

Thanks for that tip StevenB
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements