× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New NV+ stuck at Booting....

ianbucklar
Aspirant

New NV+ stuck at Booting....

Hi

I have just got a new NV+ (well 2nd hand but new to me!) that came without any disks and have added 3 X 2TB disks to it. I have switched it on, can see it in Raidar and that and the front panel still say that it is booting - I have left it 6 hours now so any suggestions please ? I have a Duo and dont remember this happening but only have a singel 1TB drive in that

Thanks
Ian
Message 1 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: New NV+ stuck at Booting....

What happens if you power down, then try a factory default?: http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#How_do_I_reset_the_ReadyNAS_to_factory_default%3F

What model disks are you using? Are they on the HCL?

When booting, do you see anything using RAIDar (see downloads link in my sig)?

Also, did you test your disks before using them?: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=388
Message 2 of 20
goondog
Aspirant

HELP!!!
i think i have the same issue just occur as the OP.
my NV+ running the latest beta approved FM (4.17 i think) just started booting...please wait issue after being already on and working ok. Its now stuck for a >6hrs.
The power button is unresponsive if i hold it down. There is nothing recognized on raidar. all disk were running fine with their status OK previously.

Can i unplug the unit to start troubleshooting? I do not know how to power down?!
I have 4 drives in it (1x500gbWD that came with unit and and 3x1TB HD103SJ) all on the HCL list and has never given me issues >3years.
The other kicker is im a afraid that i may not have any backup of the drive contents (ie stored on any other hard disk or time machine/offline storage) so im very worried about doing a factory default as my understanding is that my data would be wiped out is this correct?
Message 3 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A factory default would wipe the contents of your disks, a firmware re-install does not.

You could have a bad disk.

You may wish to power down (you may need to pull the power if it is hanging and holding the power button does not turn it off), remove your disks (label order) and test them: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=388
http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#How_can_I_verify_that_my_disk_is_bad%3F
Message 4 of 20
goondog
Aspirant

ok thanks for the reply.
ill unplug, wait a while, try replugging to see if it recurs.
reading the links im inclined to try the "pull one disk at a time trick" (after labeling!) as i am a mac user.

thx again for the quick reply. hopefully it will be ok and its just one of my drives. regardless i need another backup place asap if i can get this thing back!
Message 5 of 20
ianbucklar
Aspirant

Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying - been ill over the weekend. However your suggestion about resetting to factory default did the trick and it went through normal boot and everything seemed OK.

When I now go into the setup, I see Volume C: Offline, RAID Level , disks, 0% of 0 MB used and if I go into the Volume section I get :

Ch 1 : Seagate ST32000542AS [1862 GB] 187 GB free
Ch 2 : Seagate ST32000542AS [1862 GB] 187 GB free
Ch 3 : Seagate ST32000542AS [1862 GB] 1860 GB free

I guess that I am missing something obvious here - any ideas what I need to do to configure it now please ?

Thanks
Ian
Message 6 of 20
chirpa
Luminary

What firmware is on the NAS? What did you select in RAIDar for RAID type?
Message 7 of 20
WhoCares_
Mentor

What's the firmware revision on your ReadyNAS?

-Stefan
Message 8 of 20
ianbucklar
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick responses

Model: ReadyNAS NV+ [X-RAID]
Serial: 000da20158c4
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.6 [1.00a043]
Memory: 256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]
Message 9 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

lanbucklar, what do you see under Status > Health > SMART+ for the disks?

Also if you download your logs, Status > Logs > Download all logs and extract the contents of the zip file what do you see in diagnostics.log?

You may wish to try updating to 4.1.7 T49: http://readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=39470 to see if that fixes your issue.

You may need to do another factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything): http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#How_do_I_reset_the_ReadyNAS_to_factory_default%3F

If updating the firmware and doing a factory default still doesn't help, then it's almost certain that there's an issue with one of your disks and you should test them as described in an earlier post in this thread.
Message 10 of 20
ianbucklar
Aspirant

SMART+ logs for all 3 disks are similar to :

Model: ST32000542AS
Serial: 6XW17NJZ
Firmware: CC94

SMART Attribute

Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 8
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Power On Hours 113
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 8
Temperature Celsius 33
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 27874337751170

ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute

Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 3
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

and the diagnostic.log shows everything passing. I will have a go at yet another factory default reset to see if that works and report back.

Thanks
Ian
Message 11 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So the health of the disk looks to be fine, though SMART is not infallible. If a factory default using the latest beta doesn't work, then it's fairly safe to say that you should thoroughly test your disks:
mdgm wrote:

You may wish to power down (you may need to pull the power if it is hanging and holding the power button does not turn it off), remove your disks (label order) and test them: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=388
http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#How_can_I_verify_that_my_disk_is_bad%3F
Message 12 of 20
ianbucklar
Aspirant

Ok - some progress. here is what I have done and the results so far :

Pulled 2 of the 3 disks and did another factory default reset (without upgrading to the latest beta). Then instead of going into the setup, waited the 10 minutes and allowed it create using default settings and this time it actually created the C drive and booted up OK and shows 1.8TB Free of 1.8TB

So I am now planning to complete the setup process and then add the 2 extra disks - should these be added one at a time and be allowed to complete before adding the second one or can I add both at the same time ?

So it seems that it is either having one or both of these extra disks in during initial installation or the fact that I clicked into setup that caused the problem !

Thanks for everyone's help so far !
Ian
Message 13 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Add one at a time, wait for the resync, expansion and then add the next one.
Message 14 of 20
ianbucklar
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Add one at a time, wait for the resync, expansion and then add the next one.

Added one extra disk and it still seems to be going through the process. Thought it might be quicker than this as there is nothing on any of the disks - any thoughts on how long each 2TB disk will take please ?
Message 15 of 20
ianbucklar
Aspirant

All working perfectly now - thanks for everyone's help !
Message 16 of 20
gideon1
Aspirant

Hi Folks
Similar problems here
In a nutshell my readynas nv+ has become unresponsive
It has 4 2tb discs running fine for years on the hcl list
and I have about 2+ TB of pics, movies, music on it

I recently got on the backup kick and starting running cobiansoft backup (free windows client) on my win7 pc to 3TB external drives connected to pc
I mucked around with that for a few weeks pumping large amounts of data over the home network (wired),

Everyone once in a while the nas would disappear from my home network (in windows) but this was normal

It recently became unresponsive (press front power button 1x or 2x, press and hold front pwr button, etc)
So I pulled the plug on it and plugged it back in (This was on Sun morn, now it's Tue eve)
The lcd said something about checking or syncing (I dont remember what it said)

Right All 4 lights are lit up (nothing flashing)

Right now if front buttons are unresponsive (ie the front lcd doesnt light up)
I can see the ip from the admin screen from my router (as a dhcp client)
I can ping it from the command line
Raidar 4.1.7? can see it
The volume green light is flashing and if I hover over it, it shows this screenshot, 15% etc
I cannot view it's admin page (I used to be able to)
I cannot do \\nas or \\192.168.0.249 from windows start run (i used to)
My mapped network drives are disconnected
It's as if it's stuck or busy resyncing
Other that waiting to see if the percentage of resync increases, prob 2 weeks at this rate, what else can I do?
Thanks
Message 17 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Gideon, I would suggest you a tech support case (http://www.readynas.com/support).
Message 18 of 20
gideon1
Aspirant

Thanks support number 16120524
Message 19 of 20
gideon1
Aspirant

nas rescued, with help of netgear support and knoppix dd_rescue
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors