× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Numerous issues after upgrading to 4.2.31

carpii
Tutor

Numerous issues after upgrading to 4.2.31

I'm having a few issues since upgrading to firmware 4.2.31, but they've taken a while to identify...

ReadyNAS Pro 4 [X-RAID2]
4 * 2TB disks
RAIDiator 4.2.31

FrontView logs...

Mon Aug 6 11:15:01 WEST 2018 System is up.
Mon Aug 6 03:43:43 WEST 2018 RAID sync finished on volume C.
Sun Aug 5 20:53:12 WEST 2018 System is up.
Thu Jul 19 20:23:14 WEST 2018 Detected increasing spin retry count[91498496] on disk 2 [ST32000542AS, 6XW0BY9S] in the past 30 days. This often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Thu Jul 19 20:20:53 WEST 2018 System is up.
Sun Jul 15 04:30:14 WEST 2018 If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead. If this disk is a part of a RAID 10 volume, a failure of this disk's mirror partner will render the volume dead. It is recommended that you replace the failed disk as soon as possible to maintain optimal protection of your volume.
Sun Jul 15 04:30:14 WEST 2018 Disk failure detected.
Wed Jul 11 10:44:05 WEST 2018 System is up.
Mon Jul 9 13:10:24 WEST 2018 Fan will be recalibrated over the next few minutes.
Mon Jul 9 13:05:44 WEST 2018 System is up.
Mon Jul 9 13:05:28 WEST 2018 System Update Status (hole) : Your ReadyNAS device has been updated with a new firmware image. (RAIDiator-x86 4.2.31)
Mon Jul 9 13:02:39 WEST 2018 Rebooting device...
Mon Jul 9 13:02:39 WEST 2018 Please close this browser session and use RAIDar to reconnect to the device. System rebooting...
Mon Jul 9 13:01:52 WEST 2018 Please reboot your ReadyNAS device to continue with the update process.
Mon Jul 9 12:40:21 WEST 2018 System is up.

Issues:

1) Email notifications seem intermittent. I received email alerts on...

- 9th July (confirming firmware update)
 - 19th July (SMART errors)
 - But no email on 15th July when 'Disk Failure Detected'?

2) ReadyNAS sometimes becomes unresponsive to shares and web gui.
Pressing power button still shows an IP on the LCD, but likewise does not even respond to ping.
I have no choice but to power it down, which is why the logs show 'System is Up' with no 'Rebooting...' entry. I have no idea what causes this.

I have 3 ReadyNAS, and had similar issues with one of them before.
Netgear kindly replaced it, and I *think* this is the same one that was replaced, although it was also upgraded to a Pro at same time.

3) Viewing drive SMART status from FrontView just opens dialog box just showing placeholder labels with Drive, Serial, etc. I;ve left this a while but it never populates

4) I really dont recall swapping a drive out in early August, but I guess its possible.
It was a surpise to see that 'RAID sync finished' on 6th August.
Should there normally be log entries prior to this, saying 'new drive detected', and 'RAID sync started'?

I'm having trouble making much sense of it all

Thanks

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@carpii wrote:

3) Viewing drive SMART status from FrontView just opens dialog box just showing placeholder labels with Drive, Serial, etc. I;ve left this a while but it never populates

This one is a browser issue with Chrome.  Try FireFox or IE.  You can of course also see this info in the log zip file instead (disk_smart.log).

@carpii wrote:

2) ReadyNAS sometimes becomes unresponsive to shares and web gui.

I suggest checking the OS partition fullness.  You can see this in disk_usage.log - it's the line for /dev/md0.

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/md0              4.0G  1.2G  2.7G  30% /

Message 2 of 7
carpii
Tutor

> This one is a browser issue with Chrome.  Try FireFox or IE. 

Mac user here, I did have the same issue in Safari, but seems to work ok in Firefox
All drives are showing around 73000-74000 'Power On Hours', which suggests I havent replaced a drive in August (confusing, what would cause a resync with no drive replacement?). 

> I suggest checking the OS partition fullness.  You can see this in disk_usage.log - it's the line for /dev/md0.

It looks ok from disk_usage.log...

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 4.0G 766M 3.1G 20% /

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

73000 power on hours is running the disks 24/7 for about 8 and a third years. Your disks are getting pretty old and it's not surprising that at least one is failing.

When you reboot the system the NAS will try to add the disk back in to the array. It's not a good idea to add a failing disk back into the array but seeing you hadn't removed the disk that's what it'll try to do.

I would check the disk_smart.log in the logs zip as StephenB suggested. With the different dated versions of this file you can see how the SMART values have changed recently.

Message 4 of 7
carpii
Tutor

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

73000 power on hours is running the disks 24/7 for about 8 and a third years. Your disks are getting pretty old and it's not surprising that at least one is failing.

When you reboot the system the NAS will try to add the disk back in to the array. It's not a good idea to add a failing disk back into the array but seeing you hadn't removed the disk that's what it'll try to do.

I would check the disk_smart.log in the logs zip as StephenB suggested. With the different dated versions of this file you can see how the SMART values have changed recently.

I agree, it's not a surprise these drives are failing after 8 years.

Between the three ReadyNAS I own, I've been replacing about 2 drives every 18 months since I bought them all. What IS a surprise is that none of the drives in this partcular NAS have failed prior to now. 

My main concern is not the drive failures though, it's more the sporadic lockups (or at least dropping network connectivity, despite the lcd display on the NAS claiming it still has an ip), and also email notifications and FrontView logs seeming to be incomplete.

I'll dig further into the raw logs. Thanks for the help (and to StephenB for useful advice also).

Message 5 of 7
carpii
Tutor

As a sidenote, Im not sure where to report this, but the forum email notifications seem a bit broken (using lots of placeholder text instead of username etc)...

-----

Hello ${recipient.login},

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!

-----

Email subject for this was "Did you get the answer you needed?" 

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@carpii wrote:

As a sidenote, Im not sure where to report this, but the forum email notifications seem a bit broken (using lots of placeholder text instead of username etc)...

-----

Hello ${recipient.login},

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!

-----

Email subject for this was "Did you get the answer you needed?" 

I get these occasionally also.  It's been happening for a long time (months to years), and it would be good if Netgear could track down the cause.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements