× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS Reinstall issues

Retired_Member
Not applicable

OS Reinstall issues

Hi, I just tried to re-install the NAS OS via the Boot Menu (using option 3 in the Boot Menu Options), but it appears to have failed:

LCD msg: "Updating FW"

LCD msg: "ERR: Could not extract" failure

LCD msg: "lcd_panic_handler+7d" stops on every reboot now....

I've had a look at prior forums, it appears the Boot Menu OS reinstall is broken?? (isn't the f/w updated by Neatgear on each main rversion F/W release?)

Anyone know why an OS reinstall wont work from the Boot Menu? F/w OS file corrupt/old?

More so, how can I reinstall the OS on the NAS without wiping all the data drives (do I have to do a USB OS Install )? (I was running O6.9.3 just prior).

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

An OS Re-install installs the OS over the top of itself, resets some network settings and the admin password. It doesn't wipe your logs or configuration which can be vital when troubleshooting problems.

A factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) and creates the RAID, does a clean install of the OS, creates a new data volume etc.

There is of course a way to manually wipe the 4GB root volume which I have now done this once for you.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Retired_Member

You can do OS Boot Recovery without wiping the data.

You can follow this article USB Boot Recovery You may have to get a few flash disks ready.

Anyone know why an OS reinstall wont work from the Boot Menu? F/w OS file corrupt/old? Possible corrupt configuration

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've created the USB Boot image with the latest OS img in the x86 folder, powered the NAS to boot from USB ("OK" for 30+ secs) and LCD displays "booting for external USB", but no changes for over an hour. Does the USB Utility do some kind of h/d check? (I have a very large array). Will it self shutdown once completed?

Message 3 of 16
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried changing flash drives? There are times that the flash drives are the cause of the recovery not to complete.

It should shutdown its self once the recovery is complete. I would suggest using a different USB drive

Message 4 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The NAS should have come with one. I don't know how Netgear can sell h/w which has their own OS on it and *not* provide an independant installable 'recovery tool'/OS as part of the purchase. Don't know how Netgear are allowed to sell their h/w in this country without it.

Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The USB Boot Recovery tool is provided for free. Not all USB keys are compatible so it is worth trying different USB keys.

"ERR: Could not extract" is a possible symptom of a full 4GB root volume.

USB Boot Recovery only helps if the problem is on the internal flash. It's possible that this might not be the case here.

USB Boot Recovery doesn't touch the disks though if the firmware loaded by USB Boot Recovery is different to what's on the disks the NAS will correct the firmware mismatch on the next boot.

I've sent you a PM.

Message 6 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Would be useful info identifying which or what type of USB Sticks are compatible (ie it only states FAT32 no larger than 32GB in size, no extra partitions - no inditication of manufacturer, USB type 2/3/3.1/etc logical/physical partition type, active/boot status, etc..)

If OS size being full is such a critical issue, then the devs should have a warning/metric to show how full it is, preferably via WebGUI (at the very least), let alone a better way to manage the OS space (dump non-OS/NG core components elsewhere)

Thanks mdgm for your assistance, the community forum responses is one reason I've stayed with Netgear (not just with NAS solutions).

Message 7 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think older ones are probably more likely to be compatible. The tool is designed for USB keys with a single MBR partition using the FAT32 filesystem.

Your 4GB root partition is very full

# df -h

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/md0                  4.0G      2.7G      1.3G  68% /

The main culprit appears to be the meteor app

# du -csh /root/.meteor

937.5M /root/.meteor

937.5M total

# du -csh /tmp/mt*

300.0K /tmp/mt-161hu49

252.0K /tmp/mt-18gkr8d

306.5M /tmp/mt-1udi31b.z15x

132.0K /tmp/mt-1ywalx3

332.0K /tmp/mt-4wqahx

228.0K /tmp/mt-784xps

307.8M total

Apps need to store their data on the data volume not on the 4GB root volume. 

Once you've moved the data across to the data volume and created a symlink or modified the configuration of the app then an OS Re-install should get your system back up and running.

Obviously you can't move the /tmp directory, but hopefully the app can be configured to store it's temporary data on the data volume.

Message 8 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

eek...i thought I removed that app...it was an unwanted installed.

I just want a fresh OS install, clean of any apps, etc. to start fresh. I managed to get a working USB, yes older USB stick (2.0) worked, but same error as before after rebooting. I know some important/root directories/bin's had wrong permissions/owner changes that caused OS issues, etc so a OS wipe and reinstall was needed, but can't do it via USB Recovery due to that error above.

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

I just want a fresh OS install, clean of any apps, etc. to start fresh.

USB Flash recovery wouldn't have given you that anyway. 

The only path I know of to do what you want is the factory reset (which unfortunately destroys your data).

Message 10 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

thats a mammoth task for the size of the NAS. also i don't have access to it to backup the current data since the OS wont boot.

will need to chown some of the directories back to root (/bin, etc) due to a prior typo....

Message 11 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenB wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

I just want a fresh OS install, clean of any apps, etc. to start fresh.

USB Flash recovery wouldn't have given you that anyway. 

The only path I know of to do what you want is the factory reset (which unfortunately destroys your data).

Huh? That doesn't make sense...so technically, the "OS Reinstall" Boot Menu option is incorrect? If it wont re-install the OS (ie Operating System, the Netgear linux OS/distro, etc..) then it shouldn't be called an OS reinstall...It's it more like a "Netgear GUI" re-install? 

Message 12 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

An OS Re-install installs the OS over the top of itself, resets some network settings and the admin password. It doesn't wipe your logs or configuration which can be vital when troubleshooting problems.

A factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) and creates the RAID, does a clean install of the OS, creates a new data volume etc.

There is of course a way to manually wipe the 4GB root volume which I have now done this once for you.

Message 13 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

I'm guessing you are refering to the Boot Menu "Reinstall OS" and not the USB Recovery tool? This, technically isn't an OS re-install - its an OS over-write on the existing OS.

Not sure why this isn't an option either via USB Tool or as part of the Boot Menu - afterall an OS re-install should do a "clean" OS install without any prior depedancies. Although there may be some config dependancies in a prior OS, the seperation between OS and data should be more clearly defined and kept seperate. 

3 Stages of severity:

1) Factory Reset is always a last resort for a whole device.

2) OS Install should allow the wiping of the OS Partition only leaving the data intact, which is non-OS depedant anyhow.

3) OS Recovery (USB Tool) should be used to fix an existing OS.

# 2) would be crutial for corrupt OS files. There are existing linux tools to wipe an OS partition, but I'm not aware of any avaiable Netgear Linux/debian OS image available to replace it with (unless I am mistaken and this already exists via an available tool?)

Perhaps if Netgear Dev team factor these 3 options it would provide more robust fix/repair options.

Anyhow, thanks for your assistance mdgm!

Message 14 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, the boot menu option.

USB Boot Recovery wipes the flash and puts a clean copy of the OS on there. It's useful if there's a problem with the firmware on the internal flash.

An OS Re-install uses the firmware on the internal flash to re-install the firmware onto the disks over the top of what's already on the disks.

The 4GB root volume on the disks contains the OS, NAS logs, NAS config etc.

There is a manual process that support can use to wipe the 4GB root volume but this should normally only be attempted in very rare situations and it's important to verify that the data volume is accessible first.

Message 15 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The internal flash (256MB in your system) contains the contents of the firmware .img file, as well as the bootloader and the bootloader configuration to enable the system to boot off the internal flash.

This is used for the boot menu options and the early stages of the boot process. Doing a normal boot or a volume read-only boot the NAS will quickly switch to booting off the disks.

The internal flash would only be modified when updating the firmware or if repairing it using USB Boot Recovery (highly unlikely to be needed).

Whilst it's possible to take an image of the 4GB root volume on the disks that's not something that any boot menu option would do. It'd have to be done manually. It's not something we support doing.

The system keeps the firmware on the internal flash and on the disks at the same version. If there's a mismatch created (e.g. by doing USB Boot Recovery to a different firmware version) the system will automatically attempt to fix it.

An OS Re-install installs ReadyNAS OS (which is based on Debian, but also includes our stuff like our web admin GUI etc.) over the top of itself on the 4GB root volume on the disks. It doesn't wipe out the old install, perhaps a bit similar to say repairing Windows on your PC.

The firmware image is able to be so small as we only include what we need in it and use very strong compression.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements