× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 and choice of volumes for home and media folders

janpeter1
Luminary

OS6 and choice of volumes for home and media folders

Hi,

I have recently bought ReadyNAS 314 (and have long experience with Duo).
Spend some time playing around with the NAS and get used to i.
My question circulate around basic setup and what control you have of it.

I want to have two volumes: Archive and Backup (and use FlexRaid)
The Archive consist of two disks while Backup of one disk.

On the Backup volume I want to have backup from a few Macs using TimeMachine
and these should be private and thus (by default?) associated with the home folder/user.
Here on this volume I enable encryption.
Found elsewhere in this forum that it is hard (and not meant) to be able to move the 
home folder from one volume to another. Thus if I startup configuration with only the
BACKUP volume then folder home/user lands here, which is ok with me.

On the Archive volume I want all photo and music etc be archived.
Here I also enable checksum and bit-rot protection. During configuration I guess
the general folders: Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos are also put be default
in the volume Backup, since that is the only one available at time of startup.
The Archive volume with two disks in Raid1 is added after Backup volume is configured.

If I want to use the Netgear app ReadyNAS Photo II or use facility to house iTunes library on the NAS
then I guess I need to put files in these standard folders and I cannot choose to have
these folder on another volume than on the volume where home/user folders are,
or can I?

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Unlike the duo, the apps themselves are installed to a data partition (which in your case is the Backup volume, since you started with that). 

The built-in iTunes server is enabled for every share (it is a share setting in OS6), and those shares can be on either (or both) volumes.  

If you are using a PC as the iTunes server (using the NAS as the media library only), you also can put the media on either volume (since the PC is accessing the share, and doesn't even need to know the volume name to do that).

I don't use Photos II (or TimeMachine) so someone else will need to chime on those aspects.

Message 2 of 6
janpeter1
Luminary

Hi

Thanks for the informatoin about iTunes - good to know.

Tested ReadyNAS Photos II and uploaded a photo from my computer (a Mac) and

could then find in my test photo album. When I then go to the NAS I thought I would find

the uploaded photo from my Mac in data/pictures folders (here data is the current name of

the volume I later want to call ARCHIVE see above original post). Also I cannot find the photo

in volume BACKUP - so where is this uploaded photo on the NAS?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@janpeter1 wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the informatoin about iTunes - good to know.

Tested ReadyNAS Photos II and uploaded a photo from my computer (a Mac) and

could then find in my test photo album. When I then go to the NAS I thought I would find

the uploaded photo from my Mac in data/pictures folders (here data is the current name of

the volume I later want to call ARCHIVE see above original post). Also I cannot find the photo

in volume BACKUP - so where is this uploaded photo on the NAS?

I don't use photos II, and don't recall off-hand where its photos are stored.

But I did want to suggest that it is best to name the first volume you create "data".  It isn't supposed to matter,but it wouldn't surprise me if some apps fail if they are installed onto a different volume.

Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think from memory it is either on a hidden folder on the main data volume or under /apps/photos2

Message 5 of 6
janpeter1
Luminary

Good. Somewhat odd to make this folder hidden, but I guess a way to ensure that the Photos II app really works.

So then, what role has the default structure data/Pictures, data/Videos etc?

I consider to delte these folders, but they may be necessary and cannot just be added since might be "glued" in some firmware. In general I find very little documentation about this "default" data structure and its use. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements