× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ok what am I missing........ Windows 10 wont talk to my NAS314

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ok what am I missing........ Windows 10 wont talk to my NAS314

I just obtained a RN314, as I just want to store files from my Windows 10 PC onto a NAS.

So installed, firmware upgraded to 6.6.1, created a 8TB RAID 5 volume, created a share "GBR-DTB", enabled SMB & DLNA,  given everyone RW and allowed annoymous access.

I can't map as a drive, and whilst I can browse to and Read the folder in File explorer, I can't write......

Bound to be a silly configuration error on my part but I am going round in circles here..... any thoughts?

Message 1 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Using the admin website Accounts/Authentication you might want to check whether the NAS and your windows machines are in the same workgroup. If you need to change this don't forget to reboot nas and windows boxes.

Message 2 of 13
StephenB
Guru

If the ReadyNAS firmware isn't up to date, then try updating it first.

@Retired_Member wrote:

...you might want to check whether the NAS and your windows machines are in the same workgroup...

I don't think that's the issue here, since the W10 system is getting read access in File Explorer.

Try using a NAS user account when you map the drive.  For instance, you can run CMD and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\GBR-DTB /user:admin nas-admin-password

Use the real IP address or hostname of the NAS, and the real admin password of course.  Be careful on spaces and direction of the slashes.

The first command terminates any open network sessions.  If if prompts, let it proceed.  The second attempts to mount the share to drive letter t.

If this works, then create a windows credential for the NAS on the PC (using the Windows Credential Manager).  You can use the admin account, or you can create a user account on the NAS for this access, and use that.

Message 3 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've confirmed they are all in the same workgroup (and rebooted). I still have the issue with file explorer which is not allowing me to write but intrestingly I can copy files to the device using the browser interface....... however a 10GB copy has taken 18 hours so far and is only 6% complete (dual gigabit wired connections on both PC and NAS)........ 

Message 4 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I think you may have hit the issue on the head here, I will give this a kick when I get home, cheers.

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Did you try the commands I suggested?

Message 6 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Not yet still at work for another five hours

Message 7 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well intresting.........

So done the Net clear and NET use, works fine and using the DOS box (Command Shell) I was able to copy a whole bunch of files at a decent speed. Happy days I thought ok open file manager expecting to see the T drive....... strange no drive ok, map drive \\nas-ip-address\GBR-DTB reconnect at sign on (check) connect using different credentials (check) finish. Ok I now get a requester user "admin" enter password. Coupel of attempts then I get mapped drive could not be created, a specified login sesion does not exist it may already have been terminated.

Presumably something else needs to be turned on?

Message 8 of 13
jak0lantash
Mentor

@Retired_Member wrote:

dual gigabit wired connections on both PC and NAS

Can you explain this further please? How did you configure that exactly? Directly connected? via a switch?

Did you use the file access permissions tab on the properties of a share at any point? (you shouldn't)

Can you confirm you're not using ReadyCLOUD?

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Well intresting.........

So done the Net clear and NET use, works fine and using the DOS box (Command Shell) I was able to copy a whole bunch of files at a decent speed. Happy days I thought ok open file manager expecting to see the T drive....... strange no drive ok, map drive \\nas-ip-address\GBR-DTB reconnect at sign on (check) connect using different credentials (check) finish. Ok I now get a requester user "admin" enter password. Coupel of attempts then I get mapped drive could not be created, a specified login sesion does not exist it may already have been terminated.

One aspect is that windows will only use one credential with the NAS at a time (well, one credential using the NAS hostname, and one more using the NAS IP address).

If the mapped drive does get disconnected somehow, you should use net use * /delete to terminate any open network sessions before you re-issue the net use t: command. That will ensure there are no other sessions set up with the ReadyNAS.

With Win10 you could also create a "network location" that will show up in the main pane of file explorer.

Message 10 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Appreciate the help so far....

Had a drive fail on me so I am not "touching" the box until the rebuild has completed so looks like it wil be the weekend before I can get hands on.

One bit of info, I can see a natty netgear icon under Network locations, this takes me to Browse Folders and I can get to my GBR-DTB folder via that route. Intrestingly I can see the foilder struture but I cant see any of the files I copied up via the DOS (sorry Command shell) box. I know these files are there as a) I can see them via a CMD shell and I can copy them to a local drive.... This really does feel like I have a tick box missing somewhere.

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Maybe try resetting the permissions on the share.

Click on the settings wheel for the share, then the file access tab on the right.  You'll see a reset control on that tab.

Message 12 of 13
TeknoJnky
Hero

if you are using a windows live log in (ie a hotmail or live.com or whatever email), it doesn't work right with the readynas.

you will need to create a user/pass on the nas then add that user/pass to your windows creditials.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements