× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Old NetGear Duo V1 Corrupt Root - help needed

jebirr
Aspirant

Old NetGear Duo V1 Corrupt Root - help needed

My church has a sick NetGear Duo Version 1 (I think) that I am trying to troubleshoot.  Installed the ReadyNAS RAIDar at home and attempted to bring the system up.  After thinking a while the sytsem reports "corrupt root".    I have tried starting up with each of the drives in slot one without the other drive installed - always get corrupt root.  Bad sounds from one of the drives lead me to believe it has failed.  Question is how to proceed.  Searched discussions and see things like factory reset and some sort of diagnostic mode.  Thing that frustrates me is that even potentially corruped disks (assume that is what the corrupt root means) that I can't connect to the NAS and investigate.  Any help or direction to pursue would be appreciated.   Seems like most discussions I have reviewed have little info.  THanks.

Message 1 of 3
jebirr
Aspirant

Re: Old NetGear Duo V1 Corrupt Root - help needed

Okay learning more:

• Corrupt root is bad os
  • Tried to do OS reinstall (power with reset set for 5 sec) - Didn't appear to work
  • Tried memory test (power button 25 sec with diskled flash 5 x's).  Didn't seem to work
  • Tried skip volume check - still get corrupt root
  • Tried Tech Support mode - seemed to bring up telnet but don't know username/password or what to do from there anyway.
  • Would love to try TFTP boot but don't know have file to boot from.
  • Get all the front panel LED's flashing what appears to be a code:  All of them flash fast 3 times followed by 3 slow flashses over and over.

Would be nice to know if this is a NAS problem, disk drive problem or both.  Anybyody?

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Old NetGear Duo V1 Corrupt Root - help needed

If the disks were set up using the default XRAID mode, you can try putting one of the drives in a USB enclosure, and see if you can read the data with linux reader (windows pc).  Linux Reader can be found here: http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

The two drives are formatted differently (data and parity), the disk Linux Reader can read is the data disk.  Usually that's the disk in slot 1 (left), but it can be reversed depending on the history.

While the disks are out, test them with vendor diags (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).

Once you have the data, you can do a factory reset and rebuild it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements