× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PS3 fails to see DLNA without ReadyNAS reboot

holty1
Aspirant

Help! I've just got a Duo but having a similar problem with my PS3 not picking it up. Here's the problem. When the PS3 is first switched on it doesn't pickup the Duo, after 5 minutes or so, it then sees it. If I then PlayTV on the PS3, when I quit this, the PS3 seems to loose the Duo. I have to wait another 5-10 minutes for it to pick it up. If I use the search for media server button it doesnt find the Duo, in fact, when the Duo is showing and I search for media serve, it Duo is lost and the PS3 says no servers to be found.

I think making the change to the 900 sec to the interval could work? The instructions from msomekh look great but this is using putty and I've a mac. I've read that I can do this through Terminal but adding program commands is all new territory and am obviously keen not the screw anything up. Can someone talk me though how to edit the 900 sec through a mac.

Thanks

setup - PS3----BT Homehub------Duo
Message 26 of 75
TertzCH
Aspirant

Me too, I am fairly new to SSH and am willing to give it a try as it sux to have to wait 10 minutes for my DUO to show up.

I am also on a mac and installed the SSH add on but I cant seem to log onto the NAS and wouldnt know how to edit a file. Anyone willing to talk us through it?

Cheers

T
Message 27 of 75
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

If you get to the command line, just use this command:
sed -i 's/notify_interval=900/notify_interval=30/' /etc/minidlna.conf

If you have a switch on your network with ICMP snooping enabled, you can also try disabling that.
Message 28 of 75
TertzCH
Aspirant

Thanks for that, however I cant even log on.

I tried ssh admin@myip

It asked for my password but then I get the following error message:

admin@192.168.1.33's password:
Linux nas-CD-CD-C9 2.6.17.8ReadyNAS #1 Tue Jun 9 13:59:28 PDT 2009 padre unknown
Connection to 192.168.1.33 closed.

What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: Ok, after searching the forum some more I logged in as root@myip and used your command line and it worked!!!!

Thanks a lot!
Message 29 of 75
scriptdaddy
Aspirant

Just want to say thanks for the information in this thread.

For months I've been trying to get my XBOX 360 and other systems connected via DLNA, which would only work after a reboot. Making the suggested change has now made it work and I'm finally able to stream everything off the ReadyNAS.

Ben
Message 30 of 75
alokeprasad
Mentor

I hope this is fixed in the next update for non-geeks like us. I don't want to use SSH etc and risk hosing my Duo.
Message 31 of 75
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

alokeprasad wrote:
I hope this is fixed in the next update for non-geeks like us. I don't want to use SSH etc and risk hosing my Duo.

Thing is, this is related to the network environment. DLNA devices aren't supposed to send excessively frequent discovery packets, so that's not the right solution. One user was able to fix it by disabling ICMP snooping on his switch, but I don't know what the issue is in every case. Unfortunately, we have never been able to reproduce it, and I've never seen it happen in any home environments that I have access to.
Message 32 of 75
alokeprasad
Mentor

Thanks for the clarification.

I can see the Duo from my PS3. So I don't need this fix, especially if the Duo doesn't disappear from the PS3 ..?
Message 33 of 75
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, that's correct.
Message 34 of 75
sundaytwins
Aspirant

I'm looking at a similar problem, but can't even get the PS3 to see my NV+ anymore.

It all used to be OK till i switched to the 4.1.6 Radiator. After that, I had a connection occasionally, now the NV+ just fails always to show up on my PS3.

I have tried the interval-solution (set to 25), tried to reinstall the readydlna, unswitch the uPnP, nothing helps.

If i'm switching on my other computers on the network (all vista and win7), then I immediatly see them appearing on the PS3. Is there someone who can have a look? Must i install the debug version of the dlna? how can i provide you guys more info (logs). Where can I find more info?

PS. when installing, rebooting, etc... the log file (status in frontview) always states that whatever action i did was succesfull.

I like the ReadyNAS NV+ very much and it's an excellent machine, and I loved it when i still could use it as a media server for my PS3 (it used to work flawlessly), but now i'm getting pretty desperate....

Help would be much appreciated !

Thanks in advance.
Message 35 of 75
sundaytwins
Aspirant

Fiddled around some more with my settings. and did the following:

- Re-installed ReadyDLNA => no use
- Put uPnP off and rebooted ReadyDLNA => no use (and put it back on again)
- Re-scanned files => no use
- Re-installed Radiator 4.1.6 => no use.

The NAS stays invisble on the network as a media server. All other 'normal' PC's (win 7) are instantly spotted by the PS3.
I installed a small applet (UPnPPeek) on my Iphone to check the presence of a media server on my network more easily. Same over here => Win7 PC's immediatly visible, NAS not.

Although I can access my NAS without any problems as a network drive. (also the media directory).

What is going on here? Can anyone say where i can find the appropriate logs to check what is going on?
Must I install the debug-version of ReadyDLNA?

I'm considering doing a reset (first level) of the original firmware and reinstall Radiator 4.1.6 and the ReadyDLNA. Would this be a good option?

Thanks for your help !
Message 36 of 75
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

I've just posted the latest debug addon. Please install it and send in your logs. It should log all relevant DLNA-related network traffic so we can hopefully figure out what's going on.
Message 37 of 75
sundaytwins
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply Skywalker. I'll try it today!
Message 38 of 75
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

I took a look at your logs. I don't see any discovery packets coming from a PS3, but I do see what looks like two Vista clients (or two different network interfaces on one Vista client) whose Windows Media Players are able to do proper discovery of the NAS. Are the NAS and the Windows clients on the same switch?
Message 39 of 75
sundaytwins
Aspirant

Skywalker,

Yes they are. The two clients are in fact 1 PC (two users recognised as two different media servers). The PC runs Win 7.

The hardware config is like this:

- Printer connect via USB on NAS (Shareport)
- ReadyNAS NV+ cabled to router D-LINK DIR-825
- PS3 = Wireless to same router
- iPhone = Wireless to same router
- D-Link Gigabit switch cabled to same router
- PC 1 cabled to Gigabit switch (Win 7)
- PC 2 cabled to Gigabit switch (Win 7)
- Laptop = Wireless to router
- Printer cabled via network to Gigabit switch.

That's about all there is.

I must admit that yesterday I was so happy to be able to connect to the NAS again via SSH, that I forgot to switch the PS3. I'm not quite sure that I used the PS3 after I installed the debug add-on. To be sure, I will try that tonight after having cleaned the logs. I am anyway quite sure that before the 20 March, the PS3 was more than often switched on.

I will check once tonight, just powering on the PS3 and look if he can see the NAS. If not, i will force the PS3 to scan for Mediaservers. That ought to do the trick I think. If this doesn't appear in the logs, then i think that I might be having a problem with the router. (but then it makes me wondering why the PS3 can see the other Win7 PC's as a Media server)

By the way: Skywalker, after I installed the debug add-on, I keep on getting the message 'Padre Unknown' when I log in via SSH. Is the NAS missing out on something?

Thanks anyway for the effort.
Message 40 of 75
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Can you reboot the NAS and try the discovery testing again?

sundaytwins wrote:
By the way: Skywalker, after I installed the debug add-on, I keep on getting the message 'Padre Unknown' when I log in via SSH. Is the NAS missing out on something?

No, that's normal; it's not missing anything.
Message 41 of 75
sundaytwins
Aspirant

I'll do that this evening.

(As you have probably guessed by now, I'm in a completely different timezone appearantly :o))

I'll do a reboot and re-do the discovery testing.

Mail with logs will follow soon.

Thanks !
Message 42 of 75
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Looks like SSDP search packets are not coming in from your wireless clients, but they are coming in from the wired clients. How difficult would it be for you to try connecting your PS3 with a cable instead of wireless? I'm pretty sure the router is blocking those multicast packets from going to the NAS from wireless clients, but I wish I knew why. Are there any settings enabled on your router like IGMP snooping?
Message 43 of 75
Ti21
Aspirant

Thank you guys, setting the notify_interval to 25 seconds seems to have done the trick for my Philips TV set.
Message 44 of 75
sundaytwins
Aspirant

Hi Skywalker.

I've been snooping around on the internet forum's and I've seen that D-LINK's DIR-825 has problems reported on the Multicast. What I will try first is to connect using a powerlan. (I still have a spare one at home). If that works, then we know we are on the right track. Though the DIR-825 is a solid hardware, the firmware is far from perfect. In my mind (if we wouldn't find a solution), I was already working on a switch towards a 3rd party firmware for this router (DD-WRT). I know that in DD-WRT multicasting is possible. Only thing that keeps me a bit scared at the moment is that the DIR-825 is not yet officially in the compatible router list of DD-WRT. Although the people of DD-WRT are working hard on a upgrade for the DIR-825.

So fingers crossed, i'll see whether I can try it tonight or at latest it will be tomorrow evening.

Thanks for the help Skywalker !
Message 45 of 75
sundaytwins
Aspirant

Anouncement on the DD-WRT forum for DIR-825 owners:

It looks like the DIR-825 will be officialy in the compatibility list within a week.

(Just for info)
Message 46 of 75
vidarno
Aspirant

I seem to have discovered the cause of my problems, since I no longer have troubling finding the NAS on my PS3 after connecting the
PS3 to my modem via a cable instead of using a wireless connection. I assume there are packet-loss issues between the LAN and WLAN
on the modem, which is manufacture by Zyxel. Hope this information is able to help others with the same problem.
Message 47 of 75
Ruthus
Aspirant

I am still struggling with this issue. My PS3 is also connecting wirelessly through a Homehub to my Duo. What I dont understand is why should the PS3 be able to see the duo instantly once I log in via RAIDAR, yet not find it when scanning from the PS3?

There is another thread alluding to the fact that the Duo is broadcasting the wrong attibute (remotestorage rathen then mediaserver)?

In summary, PS3 left on for ages, media server never appears. Scan for servers from PS3, nothing. Launch raidar and log on, PS3 media server link appears almost instantly. Duo is hardwired to router, ps3 is wireless. All dnla on, nothing blocked, both devices on fixed IP addresses, ps3 browser can see duo, PS3 has full access out through router to internet NAT2, all pc on lan can see both devices.
Message 48 of 75
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

What do you mean by "logging in via RAIDar"? RAIDar is just a discovery service that uses UDP broadcast messages. It doesn't require any sort of authentication.

The Duo broadcasts two different UPnP SSDP services. One is for MediaServer, which it only does when ReadyDLNA is enabled. The other is for Windows UPnP discovery, and only gets sent out if the UPnP discovery service is enabled. In no case will the Duo send out the wrong service type.

There has to be a device on the network that is preventing the Duo from receiving the SSDP Search messages from the PS3.
Message 49 of 75
taffy1927
Aspirant

I recently purchased a ReadyNAS DUO and had the same problem connecting wirelessly from my PS3. Sometimes the NAS would appear as a media server on the PS3 and other times it would be missing. Doing a search on the PS3 would fail to find it, but if I unplugged and plugged back in the NAS to my wirelesss router (Thompson TG782T) it would then appear straight away on the PS3.

I also connect to the NAS wirelessly via my laptop and via network cable from by desktop PC and never had any problem seeing the NAS, even when it couldn't find it on the PS3.

I installed the EnableRootSSH addon, connected to the NAS via SSH and modified the minidlna.conf file to change the modify-interval setting from 900 to 60. (luckily I know vi so editing wasn't an issue.) I did this 2 days ago and haven't had a problem since. Sometimes when I turn the PS3 on, the NAS won't be there straight away but it will appear with 60 seconds or straight away if I do a search.
Message 50 of 75
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements