× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Permission problem (only after moving files)

fraggle1
Aspirant

Permission problem (only after moving files)

ReadyNAS Pro 2, 2 x 3TB drives in RAID 0

Created shares, no problem.

Copied data from other shares / PC to the NAS, that data can be accessed no problem.

However, when I MOVE files or directories from one sub directory in a share to another sub directory, I cannot access those files / directories.

Looking at the properties in Windows, no user has any permission.

I can get things working again by adding the "Everyone" user with all rights on a file by file basis.

SSHing to the ReadyNAS and doing "chown nobody.nogroup * -R" on the share restored everything to normal, but it will be a right pain having to do this every single time I move files around within the NAS.

I'm running the latest firmware, 4.2.19 IIRC.

For now I've got to copy and paste and delete the originals rather than a simple move.

Is this a known problem?

Is there a fix expected in the next version?

Ta.
Message 1 of 7
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Permission problem (only after moving files)

Are you logging into the NAS as a user when doing the move? If chowning to nobody:nogroup fixes the problem, it sounds like you're trying to access the share as guest.
Message 2 of 7
fraggle1
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

I have set the NAS up with a user account with the same username and password that I use in Windows.

All my PCs are in a Windows workgroup.

The ReadyNAS does show me my "home" share (of the same name as the username) so I'm guessing it is logged in as that user.

In the CIFS options, guest access is allowed.

Advanced CIFS permissions enabled, "Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this" is checked, and both files and folders have both group and everyone rights set to read/write, i.e. it should be as non0restrictive as possible (I'm the only person who uses it so basically I don't want any user rights anywhere)
Message 3 of 7
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

It does sound like those files were created when logged in as the guest account, so your regular user would not have permissions to move them. Is there a reason you have guest access enabled? If you're the only user, you should have no permissions problems if you disable guest access and only use your user account.
Message 4 of 7
fraggle1
Aspirant

ewok wrote:
It does sound like those files were created when logged in as the guest account, so your regular user would not have permissions to move them. Is there a reason you have guest access enabled? If you're the only user, you should have no permissions problems if you disable guest access and only use your user account.

I've run a Samba setup for years, a few "public" shares and users home shares. Having the users access their home shares with that users rights (for creation of new stuff) was fine until user A created a file in their home directory and then moved it to a public share, user B couldn't access it.

The problem here was the group and other rights in the home directories were not enabled, and the public shares were using the user accounts, so user B couldn't read or delete user As files even though they were in a public share.

Easy to fix on a Samba server cause I know it back to front 🙂 You just tell samba that the public shares are guest access only, and force the ownership and rights of all new files to the guest user and all access. Samba is happy to change the ownership and rights on newly created OR files moved in from anywhere else - it's here where the problem seems to lie. The ReadyNAS works fine for newly created files, but gets it wrong when files are moved between shares.

Does the ReadyNAS use Samba? If so I could just go in and add the required options to the smb config files.

I'll have to play around more and see exactly what's going on, but there is definitely a bug somewhere. (unless Netgear decided not to follow Unix convention?)

I see what you mean though, disabling guest access and just using everything with my user account should work around it, but I'd like to contribute to fixing this bug.

Thanks for your help.
Message 5 of 7
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, it's running Samba. It sounds like the problem is just an option that we haven't enabled.
Message 6 of 7
fraggle1
Aspirant

I found another file that had no file permissions from within Windows.

Examined the Unix permissions on the actual file - full permissions to everyone.

Ownership was set to myself and users group (richard, users).

So it's nothing to do with the actual file permissions. It must be within Samba, where it maps Windows permissions to Unix.

The way I've always used Samba is in User mode where it maps Windows permissions to Unix permissions (the Unix permissions may not appear to make sense looking at them, as Windows has a lot more fine grained permission, Samba has to map what it can to the limited Unix permissions and hence they can look a bit odd).

But the Ready NAS box isn't using Samba that way, I'm not sure where it's storing the Windows file permissions, in a database somewhere? (I can see mysql running on the ReadyNAS box)

For now I've (in Windows) set the top level permissions (of the root folder of each share) to be what I want and then set them to apply to "This folder, sub folders and files" and to replace all permissions on sub folders & files.

I did try to reproduce how I'd managed to get the files in this state in the first place (on a different PC) but haven't managed it (probably because I've disabled guest access).

When I get time I'll re-enable guest access and use the app I was using that created the problem (a folder comparison app that allows me to copy files / folders between directories - Araxis Merge) and see if I can reliably reproduce it.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements