× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Please remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk - RN104

jb0776
Follower

Please remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk - RN104

Hi,

I have a RN104 with 3 x 3TB drives that were configured in x-raid format. today it looks like at least 1 drive failed. the unit was frozen, and i had to pull the plug to get it to restart. now all three drives show red, but are all in NEW/ONLINE status, and i get the message "Please remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3".

The unit is running firmware 6.2.4,

I'm hoping that there might be some way of fixing this, or at least recovering the data on the drives.

Message 1 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Ouch.  

If you have no backup (and are the original purchaser), I'd contact Netgear support.  They will likely need to charge, but they have the highest chance of success.

Message 2 of 27
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello jb0776,

Welcome to the community!

I strongly suggest contacting support center, your 90-day support already ran out but you still have one grace support.

Regards,

Message 3 of 27
SebastianC
Aspirant

Hi did you get any help on this , today I've noticed exactly the same situation in my RN104 3x4Tb setup

Thanks

Sebastian

Message 4 of 27
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SebastianC,

What were the last changes applied or made in your system? 

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 27
SebastianC
Aspirant

Hi Thanks for the answer,

Last change was upgrade of firmware to 6.4.1, three weeks ago so no immediate change.

I have already contected the tech support but would like to know what I can expect. 

Thanks

Sebastian

Message 6 of 27
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SebastianC,

Can you still extract the logs from your system? Kindly check if the volume was full before and if there's a suspected drive/s that has problem.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 27
SebastianC
Aspirant

Thanks,

Yes , I can extract logs, NAS right now reports all discs are OK (apart from ATA errors), but there is no data, no users if I look through the web interface.

In the logs I can see that last week disc 3 failed. Right now it is reported healthy.

Thanks

Sebastian

Channel: 1
Model: WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0
Serial: WD-WCC4E62T5RYF
ATA Error Count: 82

Channel: 2
Serial: WD-WCC4EAKDTHYZ
ATA Error Count: 81

Channel: 2
Serial: WD-WCC4EEVLNVZ8
ATA Error Count: 77

[15/12/17 17:30:46 WET] err:disk:LOGMSG_ZFS_DISK_STATUS_CHANGED Disk in channel 3 (Internal) changed state from ONLINE to FAILED.

Message 8 of 27
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SebastianC,

It seems like the drives caused your volume to be inactive. Could you send a copy of the logs so I can check it further?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 27
SebastianC
Aspirant

Thanks,

No problem, how shall I send the log, could you provide email address?

Sebastian

Message 10 of 27
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SebastianC,

Here are the instructions on how to send the device logs. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Message 12 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I can see now that you already have a support case open and that support is working with you on the problem.

Your 3 disks did all go from an ATA error count of 0 on the same day (December 17th) which is quite odd.

I would try backing up your data as support suggested (and cloning them if needed), then you may wish to power down the NAS, remove your disks (label order) and hook your disks up to your PC and check them using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics. Run both a quick/short (or whatever it's called) test and a long/extended (or whether it's called) test.

Message 13 of 27
SebastianC
Aspirant

Thanks,

Indeed support has restored my raid and I am in process of backing the data up.. Still do not know what was the original fault but will give the discs good check as you suggested 

Thanks

Sebastian

Message 14 of 27
cwarner1974
Aspirant

Just throwing my .02 in here.

I just experienced what appears to be the same issue as the OP in the last 24hrs.  I recently (last weekend) purchased a RN204 with four 1tb WD RED drives.  I noticed the nas drive was not displayed in my network via Windows Explorer.  I logged on the nas drive and it displayed all four disks in red.  Since there was very little data, i was not concerned about any data loss.  I rebooted the nas drive and now all disks show up as healthly. As well the drive is now visible on my network.

The only action I executed in the last 24hrs is installing TVMobili (v1.0.4). 

model: ReadyNAS 204

firmware: 6.4.1

Disks: 4 x WD10EFRX

Raid: 10 (encrypted)

Message 15 of 27
SebastianC
Aspirant

Hallo again, 

I have been in contact with tech support regarding my issue , data ( as mentioned before ) is restored, I am still not sure what caused the original issue.

ATA errors are not increasing , so would like to run diagnostic on the NAS to make sure it is safe to continue to work .

I run Test Disks from Boot menu and ... do not really know where the result is?

Could you please advice :

where  ( in which system log) is the result of Boot menu /test disks command.

Can I run any other diagnostics to make sure my NAS is fine?

I will attach in a minuter the results of WinDlg 

Message 16 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Try running the on-line disk test (click on the settings wheel next to the volume).

Message 17 of 27
SebastianC
Aspirant

Thanks 

Run the tests , where I can find the results?

Sebastian

Message 18 of 27
StephenB
Guru

The on-line test pass/fail is in the logs, and if you have email notification you will also be told either way.

And of course any issues would also show up in the SMART stats.

Message 19 of 27
SebastianC
Aspirant

Thanks

Are you reffering to : volume.log ?

and 

"Latest Self Test: Passed"

It does not give the date / time of the test hence been looking for somethig  more informative.

Message 20 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@SebastianC wrote:

Thanks

Are you reffering to : volume.log ?

and 

"Latest Self Test: Passed"

It does not give the date / time of the test hence been looking for somethig  more informative.

If you look in the web ui, and filter on "volume log" you will see a log entry for the start time and completion time.  For instance, this snippet from my log:

Fri Jan 22 2016 9:23:09   Volume: Disk test completed for volume data2.
Fri Jan 22 2016 2:00:09   Volume: Disk test started for volume data2.

I'm not sure where these particular entries are stored.

I agree more details would be nice to have.

Message 21 of 27
rcjr1984
Aspirant

I too am now having the same problem (Pease remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk 1, 2, 3, 4) on all 4 of my drives after only 3 weeks of use.  I have had nothin but issues since going to 6.4.2 FW (PMS broke, IRedMail Broke).  I was using only 1TB of the 5.5TB available space.

What I have seen is that this problem happens frequently(by searchign the internet) but no one has an answer to fix it outside of contact netgeat support.  This makes me scared, this device is only 3 weeks old, and has had this many problems in such a short amount of time.  I ran a 1TB WD drive for 7 years with no issues.

I've opened my ticket to NetGear support, in hopes to restore the raid configuration and my data.  Then I will be backing up and probably returning this thing to Amazon becasue frankly, the time and effort I have put into it to have a failure of this magnatude in just 3 weeks is riduclas.

Its a sunday, and my entire data server is unaccessable...

Model: RN20442D|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay 4x2TB Desktop Drive
Message 22 of 27
SebastianC
Aspirant

Hi,

What can I say, in my case they managed top restore all the data ( i had no backup ) so now I am investing in big HDDs to keep backup of the NAS. 

Maybe if you go for more expensive NAS things like this will happend less frequently.

Sebastian

Message 23 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

rcjr1984,

I have had your case reviewed. The logs you attached for the PMS problem indicate that you have two Plex builds installed. Installing two different versions of the one app will lead to problems.

I see support has requested a fresh set of logs and remote access to your system (they have provided instructions). From the logs and remote access to your system we should be able to determine what caused the inactive volumes error.

Message 24 of 27
rcjr1984
Aspirant

SebastianC = We shouldn't need to backup the backup.  Howmany sets of backups do I need to invest in?  Previous backup drive lasted 7 years, and still kicking, no issues.  One before that lasted 6 years (and it still works today!).  Point is, none of these ever failed once.  Now, 3 weeks in and I have had a failure that has rendered the device useless.  This does not make me feel good to use this Nertgear NAS as a backup solution.  I am working with support and hope its fixed today (data recoverable).  If it isn't, its not a total loss since I do have backups of my most important documents (family photos / pictures etc). 

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements