× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Power cord retainer

Digital999
Luminary

Power cord retainer

We have multiple ReadyNAS devices at various locations. 

One of the bigest problems we have is that the power cord occassionally gets disloged -- fat fingered employees, impatient employees, crowded condtions, etc. 

Does anyone have a 'fix' or suggestion for some type of lock/retainer so the power cord does not get disconnected inadvertandly??

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Digital999
Luminary

Re: Power cord retainer

Thank you for your comments regarding our ReadyNAS usage processes.  If you would note the original post focused on a poor human factors design, not our usage process.

We have these devices sprinkled across the nation at various sales and administrative offices.  These devices are typically positioned in the supply cabinet area with the router and ISP connection along with paper and other office supplies.   Sometimes there are janitorial sinks and coffee making supplies and equipment in the same room.  Routine maintenance and various other matters are handled by a designated sales or administrative personnel who have minimal training but are all hard working and well intentioned.  It is especially nice that you referred to our associates as “a bunch of clueless idiots man handling NAS units?!?!”  The especially choice text WAS THE ALL CAPS part of the post. 

Generally speaking, our Internet speeds at many of these locations is less than 3 Mbps on average.  The methods we use to protect our data involve removable storage that is kept off-site and rotated through a usage cycle.   We were advised on some fairly cleaver techniques by Netgear personnel regarding backup methods and have adopted them. 

Finally remember that these ReadyNAS devices are also intended for the consumer market – what you have characterized as “a bunch of clueless idiots”.

We have adopted a crude but effective fix.  The post was intended to gather ideas and focus on a potential human factors design inadequacy – the placement of the power cord and the lack of some type of retaining clip. 

This topic has run its course.  The moderator might want to close off the conversation on this thread. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you could start by only giving keys to the rooms the NAS units are in to employees who will be responsible.

If they are in a rack you can use cable management arms to keep the cords neat and tidy, but also to redcue the risk of accidentally dislodging them.

Message 2 of 12
Digital999
Luminary

All good ideas but that does not work in our organization.  Picture 50+ sites and the esential equivalent of sales or adminstrative folks trying to do the right thing. Moving the cabinet often results inthe cord becoming dislodged.  The cabinets are moved to connect USB backup devices. 

The cords slip out easily.  I was hoping for some ideas that would be the equivalent of a twist lock to make sure that they do not fall out. 

Twist ties, or some other contraption. 

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You may be able to rig something up, perhaps another user will have a suggestion.

You should not need to move them, but in any case if you are going to move them you should shutdown the units first. There is a USB port on the front and you can use a USB extension cable.

In a large organisation you should have an IT policy that your staff agree to and educate them also on how you will be doing backups. If you have fast internet connectons between sites you may be able to do incremental backups over the internet from one site to another.

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

If its only a problem when connecting the USB backup devices, then I agree with mdgm that a USB extension is the simplest solution.  https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cable--Male--Female/dp/B00NH13UFQ/

NAS-> offsite NAS backup might require more equipment (and certainly requires good network).  But it has the advantage of being fully automated, and gives you disaster protection.

Message 5 of 12
Digital999
Luminary

Unfortunately, all of the responses seemed somewhat defensive regarding the current form factor layout and offered pointers on how backups should be done.  None addressed the actual human factors problem which seems defective from a usage standpoint by real people. 

On the back the ReadyNAS device has two USB connectors, an eSata connector, an HDMI connector as well as two LAN connectors.  The design intention and the marketing literature talk about using these USB ports and the eSata port to connect and disconnect devices – i.e. temporary connections.

All of these connections have some form of ‘clip’ or mechanism that prevents inadvertent unplugging.  And next to these six connectors is a power cable that will literally fall out of the socket if moved a skosh trying to connect/disconnect the other cables or the cabinet is turned a bit. 

We have adapted a ‘homemade’ piece of dense foam that is cabled to the ReadyNAS and the power connector with cable ties.  It was fashioned from a swim float device from Walmart and is a glowing bilious green. 

It works but if I were Netgear management I would be embarrassed by the fix.  Our staff just shakes their heads when they see it.

Possibly Netgear does not care but future products should have some way to prevent the power lead from being disconnected easily and the power lead should be located some distance from the connections intended to be routinely connected and disconnected. 

Additional thoughts…

mdgm suggested that the ReadyNAS device should not be moved.  That is pretty difficult when the front of the device has the status display and the door that opens plus other operational features.  The USB port on the front is a low speed USB 2 – too slow for backup and data transfer.  The system was designed with eSata and USB 3 devices on the back for connection.  If these plugs are to be used, then the ReadyNAS needs to be turned so the back is visible and the right plug location can be located. 

In our installation the ReadyNAS devices are in branch offices and each office has one ReadyNAS ‘expert’ who tries hard but is either an administrative or sales person. 

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Digital999 wrote:

None addressed the actual human factors problem which seems defective from a usage standpoint by real people. 

If you wanted to provide feedback on the design, you should have posted an suggestion that says precisely that on the idea exchange. 

I don't work for Netgear, and have no responsibility for their designs. My NAS power cords have always remained in place when I've shifted the chassis around, so I don't have your problem.  But I agree that putting new cables in the back can be awkward.

Given the chassis, I still think a USB or eSata extension cable would have solved the problem w/o the green mess - letting people connect the backup devices w/o moving the Nas.

Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's best practice where possible not to move a device such as a NAS whilst it is on. You can do it, but it's not a laptop.

Some rackmount NAS units can be used with sliding rails so of course those are designed to be able to slide in and out on those whilst on.

I move my NAS units (e.g. when I move my rack out from the wall to get at the rear of the units) while they are on at times and the cable doesn't come out for me. Factors like the length of cables, how you run those cables etc. come into things.

Dealing with cables is certainly not a strength of mine but the power cable does stay in well for me.

Ultimately as internet speeds improve, backups over WAN rather than over USB/eSATA is the way I would expect things to go for most. Backups over the WAN can be automated with mostly no user intervention required.

Message 8 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

For units with handles, tie it off to one of them.  For those without, tie it off to one of the fan guard segments.  A zip tie would be the best solution, but is more difficult when you want to remove it.  Velcro or even just a twist-tie would make it easier to remove if needed.  A zp-tie that can be held down with a srew would also work if you replaced one of the rear screws with a longer one.

Message 9 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

The whole picture seems like a disaster waiting to happen!!!   These things should be moved around when running!  That means power down and then do you thing and then power up again.  This is what I do if I have to get in the back and I have zero issues with the power cord falling out.   I'm in a small closet, have to climb up on a ladder and carfully pull out and turn.   I know what I'm doing.  I can't imagine a bunch of clueless idiots man handling NAS units?!?!

The simple solution to this issue and for people NOT TO TOUCH THE NAS UNITS!!!  Like was said, use cheap Extention cables.  One is is plugged into the NAS all the time and just left there.  The other end of the cable is out in front with nice simple access.  You can even label it.  No one at that point would have to touch the NAS, or pull the NAS out.  No electrial cord issues.   USB extention cables are cheap enough. So are eSata cables also.  You just leave them plugged into the back of the NAS.  I just looked on Amazon and they're under $10 each.  Depending on USB 2.0 or 3.0 or eSata and length.  

It is a NAS, so I'm not even sure why people arn't doing what they need to from their own computer anyway?  At work, No one touches the servers but me or the Plant Manager.  That's it!  Not even the owner, not that he would have a clue on anyting anyway. 

Message 10 of 12
Digital999
Luminary

Thank you for your comments regarding our ReadyNAS usage processes.  If you would note the original post focused on a poor human factors design, not our usage process.

We have these devices sprinkled across the nation at various sales and administrative offices.  These devices are typically positioned in the supply cabinet area with the router and ISP connection along with paper and other office supplies.   Sometimes there are janitorial sinks and coffee making supplies and equipment in the same room.  Routine maintenance and various other matters are handled by a designated sales or administrative personnel who have minimal training but are all hard working and well intentioned.  It is especially nice that you referred to our associates as “a bunch of clueless idiots man handling NAS units?!?!”  The especially choice text WAS THE ALL CAPS part of the post. 

Generally speaking, our Internet speeds at many of these locations is less than 3 Mbps on average.  The methods we use to protect our data involve removable storage that is kept off-site and rotated through a usage cycle.   We were advised on some fairly cleaver techniques by Netgear personnel regarding backup methods and have adopted them. 

Finally remember that these ReadyNAS devices are also intended for the consumer market – what you have characterized as “a bunch of clueless idiots”.

We have adopted a crude but effective fix.  The post was intended to gather ideas and focus on a potential human factors design inadequacy – the placement of the power cord and the lack of some type of retaining clip. 

This topic has run its course.  The moderator might want to close off the conversation on this thread. 

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I agree it makes sense to lock it. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements