× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Pro Pioneer Edition Spontaneously Changed to Read Only

brb1800
Aspirant

Pro Pioneer Edition Spontaneously Changed to Read Only

I have two Pro Pioneer Editions - RNDP600E-100NAS, kept in sync. They are on the latest firmware. I can provide if needed.

Over the weekend when trying to create a directory from a LINUX workstation on one of the RN, I got "access denied" 

I logged in as admin, and under Shares the CIFS was changed to "read only." This is bizarre because I definitely didn't change it, and nobody else has access to it. I made the change and it works as normal.

Somehow the SMB.CONF was modified.

Could this be a firmware glitch or hardware problem? I'm at a loss to explain why a share would spontaneiously change to read only.

Any help to solve this mystery would be greatly appreciated!

Model: ReadyNAS-600AB|ReadyNAS 600A / 600B
Message 1 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi brb1800,

Does this strange behavior happen in both devices when you're accessing its shares (contents)? Also, tell us the version of the firmware running in both of them.

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 2 of 6
brb1800
Aspirant

@BrianL2 wrote:

Hi brb1800,

Does this strange behavior happen in both devices when you're accessing its shares (contents)? Also, tell us the version of the firmware running in both of them.

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Only one of the NAS has the issue, the primary NAS. The other is used to backup the of first, using scheduled nightly backup which i have disabled after discovering the problem. 

Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.28 

I checked for updates and confirmed this is the latest. After rebooting the NAS many times the problem has not reoccured.

I appreciate your assistance Brian!

Message 3 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi brb1800,

Have you tried resetting the permission of the affected shares? Once done, kindly share the result by updating this thread. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
brb1800
Aspirant

After I found that I couldn't modify contents on the share, I was able to change the share permission from"Read-only" to "Read/Write" without incident and it hasn't reoccured.

My question is how the change could have happened. I've been working with LINUX for years and this is the first I have seen something like this happen. 

readynas.Screenshot-8.png

Message 5 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi brb1800,

Thanks for posting feedback on the thread. I'm not sure certain how and why the permission changed, we could look at your logs and see what we can find.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements