× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem with 24-bit FLAC streaming

datamonkey
Aspirant

Problem with 24-bit FLAC streaming

Okay, I'm using a new PS Audio PWD/Bridge combo device as media player, and though it sees my entire library on my NVX and plays everything just fine, the files are not displaying the bit rate accurately on the PWD device. I have pursued this with PS Audio and they are convinced that it's the NAS ReadyDLNA that is not sending the proper meta-data regarding bitrate when it serves up the files. So again, I have normal CD rips that are 16bit/44.1KHz FLAC files, and then I have other FLAC files from popular high rez sites that are 24bit/96KHz or even 24bit/192KHz, and some 24bit/48KHz....all are FLAC and all are tagged properly with all meta-data and album artwork. I have 2 problems: the bitrate never shows anything but 16bit, even when I'm playing 24bit files. They play fine, but the PWD is not recognizing them as 24bit. The other problem is album artwork is not consistently appearing on the PWD. It does for some, not for others, and all my files are tagged with album art. I have looked into pixel size of the art, stuff like that, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which art displays and which doesn't.

I am really hoping to avoid using Twonky which others are saying displays the bitrates just fine on the PWD. I know there is a Twonky add-on, but seriously? For a very big investment I made in a fully loaded 8TB NVX, I'd think this would be easier. Is there something I can do to see in the logs if the NAS even thinks it's sending at full 24bit resolution? I really need to isolate this and understand where the problem lies.

Thanks for any help from the gang here.
Message 1 of 6
datamonkey
Aspirant

Re: Problem with 24-bit FLAC streaming

Guys, I just need to know if ReadyDLNA downsamples 24bit files to 16bit when streaming them. That's the gist of it. I am hoping it does not do that, as I have a music server that can easily handle 24bit files all the way up to 192KHz. Please inform.

Thanks.
Message 2 of 6
sphardy1
Apprentice

The ReadyDLNA server does not transcode any media as far as I'm aware - it simply streams the files as is and is reliant on the client being able to play them.
Message 3 of 6
datamonkey
Aspirant

sphardy, thanks, I very much appreciate the reply. I'm glad it is not transcoding, but it appears that some servers (Asset uPnP and others) are chopping bitrates down to 16 instead of 24. Not transcoding per se, but reducing bitrate when they stream. I just want to make sure that ReadyDLNA does not do that. Because it appears to be the case right now. Twonky streams clearly show up properly as 24bit, but ReadyDLNA does not. Nor does Asset uPnP. Trying to get to the bottom of this is tricky.

Thanks again.
Message 4 of 6
datamonkey
Aspirant

Just to put the wraps on this thread, and for the record in case anyone is trolling. ReadyDLNA is not reducing bitrate at all, it turns out it was a very bizarre bug in the PS Audio digital lens firmware that is causing the bitrate of files to display improperly on the front panel of the PWD/Bridge. The files are actually being played just fine in actual 24bit resolution, just wasn't displaying properly. The PS Audio developers have the fix in for the next release.

Cheers, and thanks again sphardy!
Message 5 of 6
MJWagstaff
Aspirant

Datamonkey,

This is a very old thread but hopefully you will get a notification that I have posted this...

I am considering the PS Audio P Wave & Bridge and I was wondering if you were pleased with it. How hard was it to set up you ReadyNAS? Do you use PS Audio's eLyric to manage the files on the NAS?

Any other comments / tips?

thanks,
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements