× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems enabling services on ReadyNAS 102

New102
Aspirant

Problems enabling services on ReadyNAS 102

I am having big problems enabling any of the services on my brand new Netgear ReadyNAS 102. I am running the latest firmware, 6.0.5.

Whenever I select a service (Under System / Settings / Services), tick the Enable box and press Apply I get the error message:
Service Operation Failed - Port number is invalid or reserved.

It does not matter which of the services (FTP, iTunes, ReadyDLNA etc) that I select, it gives me the same error message on all services.

By the way, I am really annoyed with Netgear. One of the main reasons that I bought the ReadyNAS was so that I could run PLEX (which it clearly says on the internet that the NAS comes preloaded with). I understand now, from reading several internet posts that my NAS cannot run PLEX. I hope that they are wrong and/or that Netgear sorts this out. I've had loads of Netgear hardware in the past (Routers, dongles etc) and I have Always been very pleased with them, but I am not happy about this purchase at all so far. I hope my view on the NAS changes soon... :twisted:

Thanks for any help with this
Erik
Message 1 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problems enabling services on ReadyNAS 102

I am not seeing this error on my RN102 (also 6.0.5). Since you purchased in the last 90 days you are still entitled to phone support.
Message 2 of 23
New102
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB for your quick reply. I will give Netgear support a ring to see what they say, and will update this thread when I've got some more information.
Message 3 of 23
elsabio
Aspirant

FWIW - I've just fired up my new 314 (which replaces an NV+ that just can't handle the bandwidth) for the first time and have the same issue enabling NFS.
I will be expecting the 314 to do all that the NV+ did and faster - so on both of the OPs points, I'm now looking for some positive results from support.
Message 4 of 23
elsabio
Aspirant

NetGear support came back to me very quickly with a workaround that gets me over this hurdle.
The issue is escalated within the Netgear Support organisation so there should be an official fix coming soon. Until then, this was the Workaround I was advised to try:

"Could you please go to the System tab - Settings - Then in the HTTPS services Clear the port 2 apply and reboot."
Message 5 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Thanks for sharing.

This is not happening in all cases, as I have port 2 filled in on my unit, but have not seen the problem. But it is helpful to know the workaround, and that it is on the fix list.
Message 6 of 23
super_poussin
Virtuoso

yep it solve the problem, also if you have same value for port 1 and port 2: 443 you must blank port 2
Message 7 of 23
New102
Aspirant

Hi all, thank you very much for your replies.
The above solution (to delete the port number port 2 on https) worked fine.
I called the support and they said that in firmware 6.0.6 (6.0.5 is the latest at the moment), this will be fixed.

So, if you have the same problem:
1. Go to System
2. Go to Settings
3. Under Services, click on HTTPS
4. Delete 443 (or whatever it says) from the field with the label "Port 2"
5. Click Apply
6. You might have to login to your NAS again after this (or refresh the page)

Once again, thanks all that replied to this thread.

Erik
Message 8 of 23
wisemoses
Aspirant

Had the same problem with my 314, NFS and FTP both gave the invalid/reserved port error. Blanking out the second port for HTTPS worked like a charm once the device came back up.
Message 9 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Note you can also temporarily forward the second port number to the first port in your router, and it will connect.

So if you are using the second port for wide-area internet access, the workaround doesn't prevent you from continuing to do that.
Message 10 of 23
nemowho
Aspirant

This big, upcoming change Netgear had at the end of May for Plex on the RN102? I just spoke with them again, and apparently the "fix" is to merely remove the mention of Plex from all RN102 marketing material! IT'S NOT COMING, according to Netgear today (5/25/13)

Awesome news. Plus, with my 15% restocking fee from the retailer, I couldn't be happier! :twisted:
Message 11 of 23
chirpa
Luminary

Weird, cause Plex is available for the older ARM series, odd the newer faster ARM line wouldn't have it also.
http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/

With other add-on developers recently pulled out of the NTGR Marketplace, I wonder if its a NTGR issue, or Plex decided to walk away.
Message 12 of 23
trinador
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Weird, cause Plex is available for the older ARM series, odd the newer faster ARM line wouldn't have it also.
http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/

With other add-on developers recently pulled out of the NTGR Marketplace, I wonder if its a NTGR issue, or Plex decided to walk away.

Then, any possible way to downgrade ARM 6.x to 5.x?
Message 13 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No you cannot downgrade to 5.3.x

However there are signs that Plex is working on a new Plex build for the 102.
Message 14 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Plex Media Server for the RN102 is now available in ReadyNAS OS 6.0.8: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71679
Message 15 of 23
trinador
Aspirant

Maybe you could enlighten us how to make it work.

After installed 6.0.8 on RN102, no apps are shown... NOTHING!!
Message 16 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does it show under Apps > Available Apps?

By default when you go to Apps you will be taken to the Installed Apps page. You need to go to the Available Apps page and click the Install button.
Message 17 of 23
super_poussin
Virtuoso

On Frontview main page you will only see installed apps which are enabled (running)
Message 18 of 23
trinador
Aspirant

Nop, nothing on Available Apps nor genie+marketplace...

I used Chrome, IE10 and Firefox...
Message 19 of 23
trinador
Aspirant

Message 20 of 23
Govnah
Aspirant

Same issue here. I had to disable the genie+marketplace to see "Installed Apps and Available Apps." Genie+marketplace service enabled I have the same issue, spinning wheel and blank page, running 6.0.8.
Message 21 of 23
trinador
Aspirant

Done, I re-downloaded 6.0.8 ARM and it's working.

Maybe be before I installed 6.0.8 Intel.. 😛

Thanks.
Message 22 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you tried to install the firmware image for the wrong architecture you would have got an error.
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements