× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Procedure to transfer HDs to replacement NAS without data loss?

MWeigand
Aspirant

Procedure to transfer HDs to replacement NAS without data loss?

A 4 month old RR4312S died on me last weekend after a sheduled power outage (only blue light flashing, Boot menue inaccessible, USB boot, CMOS battery removal, HD removal, etc all failed to do anything).

The IT partner of my institute will replace it under warranty, but If possible I want to use the disk set of the old NAS in the replacement model.

What do I have to do if I want the new NAS to use the old RAID set? I want to avoid accidentially wiping the 100TB array...

Model: RR4312S| ReadyNAS 10GbE 12 Bays with up to 120TB total storage
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Procedure to transfer HDs to replacement NAS without data loss?

If you get another OS6 rack-mount, then all you should have to do is migrate the disks with both machines powered off (ideally preserving the slot order).  Then power up.  If the new unit has a newer version of OS6 in it's flash, then the boot process will also upgrade the OS partition on the disks.  

Though if the power outage did some damage to the disks (or corrupted the file system) then you might need help from Netgear's paid support.  I suggest booting up the replacement in read-only mode the first time, and then confirm that all the data is intact.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you get another OS6 rack-mount, then all you should have to do is migrate the disks with both machines powered off (ideally preserving the slot order).  Then power up.  If the new unit has a newer version of OS6 in it's flash, then the boot process will also upgrade the OS partition on the disks.  

Though if the power outage did some damage to the disks (or corrupted the file system) then you might need help from Netgear's paid support.  I suggest booting up the replacement in read-only mode the first time, and then confirm that all the data is intact.

Message 2 of 4
MWeigand
Aspirant

Thanks. So the default behavior is non-destructive? I assume read only mode is to be reached via boot menu, i.e. powering on while pressing the reset button?

I doubt the power out event damaged the disks. The unit was powered down via the GUI before - it just did not come back alive after the shutdown. Looking back it might be related to a firmware update that was installed and sheduled to be activated on the next power cycle...

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@MWeigand wrote:

Thanks. So the default behavior is non-destructive?

Yes.  If the disks are blank, then the unit would do a fresh factory install.  If they are formatted, then the unit will boot if it can - but it won't destroy what's on the disks.

@MWeigand wrote:

I assume read only mode is to be reached via boot menu

Yes.

@MWeigand wrote:

Looking back it might be related to a firmware update that was installed and scheduled to be activated on the next power cycle...

That is one scenario where the issue could be disk-related, since the firmware update was installed onto the operating system partition on the disks.  But in that case, the boot menu should still be available (since it is in the system flash memory).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements